Another CISSP Pass!!!

j.petrovj.petrov Member Posts: 282
Well, after a little over 5 hours in the testing center I walked away with a pass!! I really went through all of the emotions on this beast of a test. I can honestly say that was a grueling 5 hours. I thought for sure that I failed by a mile by the end of it. I honestly wasn't confident on about 60% of the questions I answered.

Test Strategy:

First pass - flagged anything that I didn't know immediately, or was a long read. I was wanted to try and build some confidence as after about 15 questions I thought I was doomed!

Second pass - Answered all questions that I flagged and un-flagged most of them. I left some for further analysis.

Third pass - Looked at the remaining flagged questions I had. I was so fried at that point that I started making some educated guesses, and then decided to just end the test without going over the remaining. I hit end test, knowing that defeat was coming.

I walked to the front to get my print out, and saw that there was only one sheet… I thought to myself, don't tell me you actually passed this thing. Sure enough it was a pass.

I am so relieved. Xmas has come early!!! Thanks to everyone who posted their test strategies and studying materials. It was a huge help! CCCure.org was well worth the $50, wouldn't have passed without it.

I used the following to study:
  • Conrad Study Guide 2nd E.
  • Conrad 11th Hour 2nd E.
  • CCCure.org Practice questions
  • The Sunflower PDF
  • InfoSec Institute Bootcamp videos (also various other youtube videos)
  • AIO Study Guide (Chapter Summaries Only)
  • AIO Practice Questions Book

Comments

• zxbanezxbane Member Posts: 740 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats man! Great to hear, what's next on the list for you? I just passed back in November myself and want to work on CCENT/CCNA R/S now
  • hylaabhylaab Member Posts: 35 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats and Merry Xmas.
  • j.petrovj.petrov Member Posts: 282
    Definitely going to be taking a little break, not sure whats next. I have been working with linux, so I may go after linux+ learn a scripting language then go for the OSCP.
  • warmkittywarmkitty Member Posts: 26 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congratulation and Merry Xmas !!!
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
  • tony71tony71 Member Posts: 66 ■■□□□□□□□□
  • Ra's al GhulRa's al Ghul Registered Users Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congrats! way to celebrate x-mas!
  • cdupuiscdupuis Inactive Imported Users Posts: 32 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congratulation and thanks for sharing your study path.

Best regards

Clement
  • ccnpninjaccnpninja Member Posts: 1,010 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • KatiushaKatiusha Member Posts: 35 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats! Great job!
  • JasonXJasonX Member Posts: 96 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats bud!
    2016 Certification Goals:
    CCIE R/S Written: ???
    CCIE R/S Lab: ???
    Add me on LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/pub/jason-meier/38/912/280/
  • cgrimaldocgrimaldo Member Posts: 439 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats! Care to share the links to the youtube videos that you feel helped you?
  • FloOzFloOz Member Posts: 1,614 ■■■■□□□□□□
    cgrimaldo wrote: »
    Congrats! Care to share the links to the youtube videos that you feel helped you?

Here are a few:

This series was relatively short but was helpful, the instructor has a good sense of humor: Lecture 1, Free Short Course: CISSP Security Certification - YouTube (this is the first video)
    Infosec Bootcamp videos: CISSP Boot Camp Online - Module 01 - YouTube (this is the first)
    Kerberos MicroNugget: MicroNugget: How Does Kerberos Work? - YouTube
  • danny069danny069 Member Posts: 1,025 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Great job! You guys give me hope to take my CISSP this summer! yay!
    I am a Jack of all trades, Master of None
  • Kamat2000Kamat2000 Member Posts: 34 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • billyr2009billyr2009 Member Posts: 120
    Congrats on the pass j! Thank you for posting about your study material. I was wondering how much experience did you have in IT security prior to taking the exam? I have heard on the forum that the Conrad book helps better than the Shon Harris AIO if you have some years of IT security experience prior to sitting for the exam. Just wondering if it was true in your case.
    billyr2009 wrote: »
    Congrats on the pass j! Thank you for posting about your study material. I was wondering how much experience did you have in IT security prior to taking the exam? I have heard on the forum that the Conrad book helps better than the Shon Harris AIO if you have some years of IT security experience prior to sitting for the exam. Just wondering if it was true in your case.

I only have a little over 1 year of IT experience, however I did the Sec+ and CCNA:Sec this year so a lot of information was fresh in my mind. I have to admit that I would not have attempted this exam at this point in time, but my new job wanted me to go after it so I did. They also paid the exam fee upon the successful pass and gave me a raise. I think its definitely possible to pass without a ton of experience as long as you study hard and figure out where your weak areas are via practice tests, then study some more.

Took me about 2-3 months of studying.
  • IvanjamIvanjam Member Posts: 978 ■■■■□□□□□□
    @j.petrov - congrats on a job well done! icon_thumright.gif
    Fall 2014: Start MA in Mathematics [X]
    Fall 2016: Start PhD in Mathematics [X]
  • austinpreaustinpre Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I am preparing for my CISSP scheduled next month; I see a lot of people have read 'The Sunflower pdf' as part of their preparations.Can anyone please share a link to it? Help is much appreciated.
  • vkd101vkd101 Registered Users Posts: 4 ■■■□□□□□□□
    sunflower pdf: www.kilala.nl/Sysadmin/Images/CISSP_Summary_V1.1.pdf