Does CCNP SWITCH absolutely require layer 2 switches

GroompahGroompah Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi there,

does CCNP SWITCH absolutely require layer 2 switches, like the 2950 or 2960.
Or will Layer 3 Switches (c3560) cover all exam topics?
Because I have full access to four of these L3 Switches. (L2 Switches must be ordered)

BTW, CCIE exam uses only L3 Switches (+ routers, ect.) AFAIK, which i'm planning to pass as well, one day, so L2 seems unneeded.

I found this comparision at packetlife.net, which displays "yes" for every feature.

So the question is, should i order L2 switches only to get the knack of the limitations of L2 switches, or will I face similar results by keeping two of the switches in "switchport"-mode?

Groompah

Comments

• networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    If you can get all 3560's that will work. Most people don't due to price. Say for instance you want a 4 switch lab you can get 2x 3560s to practice the stuff needed and then two other L2 switches to help in your STP studies etc.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • GroompahGroompah Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    If you can get all 3560's that will work. Most people don't due to price. Say for instance you want a 4 switch lab you can get 2x 3560s to practice the stuff needed and then two other L2 switches to help in your STP studies etc.
    Okay, As I already assumed.
    thank you. :)
  • theodoxatheodoxa Member Posts: 1,340 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Layer 3 switches function as Layer 2 switches by default. You have to run the "ip routing" command to enable routing (Layer 3) and "no switchport" on any port you want to assign an IP address to (Layer 3 Port). I haven't tried since the L3 Switch method of Inter-VLAN Routing is so much simpler, but I would imagine you should be able to do anything you would do on a L2 Switch on a L3 switch.
    R&S: CCENT CCNA CCNP CCIE [ ]
    Security: CCNA [ ]
    Virtualization: VCA-DCV [ ]
  • astrogeekastrogeek Member Posts: 251 ■■■□□□□□□□
    As already mentioned, a 3550/3560 in its default config is a L2 switch. Some of the more higher end switches, such as a 6500 switch, have their interfaces enabled as L3 interfaces by default - so would require the 'switchport' command to change them to a standard, (non routable), switchport. However, interfaces on 3550s and 3560's are L2 interfaces by default and require no changes.

The only real limitation I can think of that you would notice with a 2950/2960 is that you can only create one L3 Vlan, (a vlan as an interface with an IP address applied), which is used to remote into that switch. On an L3 switch you can create as many as you want to create multiple route-able subnets on the switch.

So yea, basically you'd be wasting your money. I only used 3550's for studying for Switch and there was nothing I was missing out from not using lower end models. 3560's would be perfect though because you can configure private VLANs, but that is not supported on the 3550's.
  • Danielh22185Danielh22185 Member Posts: 1,195 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I personally plan on doing some rack time. INE has a very reasonable price.
    Currently Studying: IE Stuff...kinda...for now...
    My ultimate career goal: To climb to the top of the computer network industry food chain.
    "Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else." - Vince Lombardi
  • gorebrushgorebrush Member Posts: 2,743 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Well yeah, you don't need 2950/2960 if you can get 35x0's!

I've got a pair of 3550's and a pair of 3750's in my lab.
  • Danielh22185Danielh22185 Member Posts: 1,195 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Also GNS3 may have material on switching as soon as February in beta. You can sign up to contribute and get the early release content.

https://gns3.crowdhoster.com/become-an-early-release-member
    Currently Studying: IE Stuff...kinda...for now...
    My ultimate career goal: To climb to the top of the computer network industry food chain.
    "Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else." - Vince Lombardi