Options

OSCP Battlestation?

Cold TitaniumCold Titanium Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 82 ■■□□□□□□□□
I'm planning on enrolling for the OSCP in a few weeks and am wondering how people who have taken it set up their BT/Kali. I want to be able to tote it to and fro so that I can study from various places. Here's what I'm thinking:

Drop Kali into a VirtualBox VM and install the VPN client into the virtual machine. I can put the virtual hd on a USB drive and always have it with me. That way I could connect to the lab within the vm, but still be connected to my local network on my host.

Anyone see any problems with that? How much HD space should I give it? I'd go with 8-10 Gig but I'm not sure if I'll be looting large amounts of data that needs to be stored.
2014 Goals
  • Pass OSCP (In Progress)
  • Obtain employment in IT Security

Comments

• Options
    NovaHaxNovaHax Member Posts: 502 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Ew gross...virtualbox...lol. To each his own I guess. Definitely VMware IMO.

If you are going to do a live boot, persistence is a must. Though I didn't really use that much hard-drive space. You'll use a few MBs on scripts and a couple GBs on documentation and screenshots.

I'd say 5GB of persistent space and you should be good.

Make sure you have a least two functional monitors. Not a requirement...but will definitely make your life easier.
  • Options
    For most boxes...the loot is a 1 kb text file with a string of letters and numbers for proof. There are some boxes that have some easter eggs a few of them...but most of it is not going to take up a whole lot of space, and its usually just going to be more work for you. "Oh...here's a "bank account" zip file with a password. Guess I gotta figure this out now." Its all good though.
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,030 Admin
    That sounds a lot like the exercises in a computer forensics practical exam.
  • Options
    Cold TitaniumCold Titanium Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 82 ■■□□□□□□□□
    "Ew gross...virtualbox...lol. To each his own I guess. Definitely VMware IMO."

HeY! What's wrong with the vBox, yo!? I moved from VMware when I had trouble getting a USB wireless adapter to work in BT. It was simpler and smaller.
    2014 Goals
    • Pass OSCP (In Progress)
    • Obtain employment in IT Security
  • Options
    HeY! What's wrong with the vBox, yo!? I moved from VMware when I had trouble getting a USB wireless adapter to work in BT. It was simpler and smaller.

Lol...Just the opposite for me. I started working with VMs on Virtual Box and made the transition to VMware because of frustrations. That was years ago...so I'm sure a lot has changed. And like I said...to each his own.