how to go about preparing for certs if you have test anxiety

dgray2003dgray2003 Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
well the subject says it all
you may know your stuff but it all goes away when the FOF sets in (fear of failure)

Comments

• woodwormwoodworm Member Posts: 153
    Most people probably get a little nervous before an exam, it's only natural.

I once heard it described as 'Fight or Flight' and 'Wooly Mammoth syndrome' where in a stressful situation the body produces adrenaline which allows you to perform (ie fight or run away) to your full potential.

The problem arises if you don't use this adrenaline it can quickly start to to have negative side effects such as tunnel vision, legs to like jelly, shallow breathing (which then makes things worse) and of course (indirectly) affects your mental state.

So the recommendation was to do some physical exercise before hand to release the stress and use up the adrenaline, so arrive early at the test centre and go for a 20 minute brisk walk before hand. Of course, if you're off to hunt mammoth's you don't want to do this as you will your adrenaline for that ....

It's been quite a few years since I was on that course so I may have got something wrong, but I think I'm on the right lines? I'm sure someone can explain it clearer ....

The other thing is to keep positive, not in a cocky way, but accept that sometimes things can go wrong no matter how well prepared you are - realise that the consequences of failing are out of proportion to the fear you are feeling. If the worst should happen it's not the end of the world and you will get it next time. It's like the Samurai who accepted their deaths were never afraid of dying and with no fear they became the greatest warriors ... (or so that Tom Cruise movie teaches us)

"He who has never fallen has never climbed" and all that

Hey, my longest post ever! icon_lol.gif
  • supertechCETmasupertechCETma Member Posts: 377
    endeavor to persevere.
    Show a little backbone, and all that.

It's all mental. This is no different than when the network is down and every boss is standing over your shoulder waiting for you to fix it.

Experience helps but adequate preparation is the sure key. If you are fully prepared walking into the testing center, you should have the confidence of knowing that you know your stuff. Forget the excuses, you either know it or you don't.

This is what will set you apart from every other tweaker out there. Attitude. I always recommend that you over study for all exams. this gives you an edge going in and can serve as a buffer against test anxiety.

icon_cool.gif
    Electronic Technicians Association-International www.eta-i.org
    The Fiber Optic Association www.thefoa.org
    Home Acoustics Alliance® http://www.homeacoustics.net/
    Imaging Science Foundation http://www.imagingscience.com/
  • zebra-3zebra-3 Member Posts: 79 ■■□□□□□□□□
    don't tell anyone you are gonna take your exam, or you will ad to your fear to face humiliation if you fail.

I remember my first exam, going to the exam with the feeling everyone was hidden behind their windows watching me going to the test center.

icon_rolleyes.gif
  • strauchrstrauchr Member Posts: 528 ■■■□□□□□□□
    There is the ultimate way to.... ahem....relax. Hopefully I don't spell things out but it can help by making you relaxed and clearing out your mind.
  • eurotrasheurotrash Member Posts: 817
    Remember it's just an exam...not the end of the world. ;)
    witty comment
  • jim_staszjim_stasz Member Posts: 123
    strauchr wrote:
    There is the ultimate way to.... ahem....relax. Hopefully I don't spell things out but it can help by making you relaxed and clearing out your mind.

V a l i u m ?
  • elathropelathrop Member Posts: 88 ■■□□□□□□□□
    It's not a matter of life or death, but at $225 a test, it can be a matter of pass or starve for a few weeks! This is part of what makes being calm during a test a real challenge. If you don't live far away from the test site, it even helps if you do your exercise at home before you leave. I don't know why it helps so much but it does. It just a chemical thing.

I've only taken 2 of these tests in my life, but I know that jogging, or some other aerobic exercise, helps a lot before a bowling tournament. You would think it would wear you out, but it doesn't. It energizes you. Makes you more relaxed and alert all day long. Then, after this healthy activity, you can pass the test, go home and get drunk! drunken_smilie.gif
    Webmaster for calendardaze.com ezcalculator.com and digitizedvideo.com
  • strauchrstrauchr Member Posts: 528 ■■■□□□□□□□
    jim_stasz wrote:
    strauchr wrote:

V a l i u m ?

Ahh you need to get out more icon_wink.gif
  • frankj1247frankj1247 Member Posts: 111
    Say hello to your little friend Ben Jurgenhoff.

That should help you relax.
  • potrzebiepotrzebie Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    frankj1247 wrote:

I tried that right before my A+ exams. The lady told me if I ever did that again they'd bar me from the testing centre.
  • SRTMCSESRTMCSE Member Posts: 249
    potrzebie wrote:
    frankj1247 wrote:

I tried that right before my A+ exams. The lady told me if I ever did that again they'd bar me from the testing centre.

You're not serious are you?? lol.
  • HumperHumper Member Posts: 647
    potrzebie wrote:
    frankj1247 wrote:

lol thats f$c!in funny icon_king.gif
    Now working full time!
  • NeobornNeoborn Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    potrzebie wrote:
    frankj1247 wrote:

LOL that's good!

LOL @ you didn't really did you? sigh, come on really!
    "I know you think that I know I understand what you said, but I am not sure that what I understood is what you thought."