What job to expect after Security+ ?

atulpolatulpol Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
What job can I expect Security+ at beginners level as i am new in the field ?

Comments

• techwizardtechwizard Member Posts: 162 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Is that the only cert you hold? I wouldn't expect a whole lot, probably still some type of entry level job, but at least you can say you are security minded.
    "Never give up" ~ Winston Churchill
  • yzTyzT Member Posts: 365 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Security+ does not open any door, if that is what you want to know. It's not a CISSP.
  • Master Of PuppetsMaster Of Puppets Member Posts: 1,210
    You can't get into security with only Sec+ unless you have some good experience. It can help land an entry level IT job but not security.
    Yes, I am a criminal. My crime is that of curiosity. My crime is that of judging people by what they say and think, not what they look like. My crime is that of outsmarting you, something that you will never forgive me for.
  • j1mggj1mgg Member Posts: 45 ■■□□□□□□□□
    What IT experience do you have?

if you have some previous IT related work experience then you could maybe loo,at being a SOC analyst.

but if this is the first cert you have looked at and have no it experience then I think you will find it very limited, and probably won't understand how some of the topics relates to It infrastructure.
  • atulpolatulpol Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I am a Telecom. Engineer ,but dont have any experience or certifications either ? I am really interested to make career in IT Security and many suggested me to start with Security+ ..so that is the reason i asked this question , I was really worried which job should I apply for in IT to get into security
  • Corndork2Corndork2 Member Posts: 266
    Id look into Security Analyst I positions. Like everyone else said, Sec+ is entry level.

Now being as you have Telco experience I'd also recommend Firewall based positions if you have Firewall skills. A firewall management (ASA, Checkpoint, etc) position based upon your telco experience that also takes into account your Sec+ foundational knowledge may be a good stepping stone into the security industry,
    Brocade: BAIS, BACNS, BAEFS Cisco: CCENT, CCNA R&S CWNP: CWTS Juniper: JNCIA-JUNOS
    CompTIA: A+ (2009), Network+ (2009), A+ CE, Network+ CE, Security+ CE, CDIA+
    Mikrotik: MTCNA, MTCRE, MTCWE, MTCTCE VMware: VCA-DV Rackspace: CloudU
  • DarrilDarril Member Posts: 1,588
    I don't think you can expect it in India, but in the US, the Security+ certification opens up opportunities in the Department of Defense as an employee or a contractor. There's no guarantee but because it is a mandated requirement for many positions you increase your chances of employment even if your actual on-the-job experience is thin.
  • Kimura410Kimura410 Member Posts: 71 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I am a little late to reply, but I have been applying like crazy the past couple of days. I am entry level like you, and only have educational experience and personal, free-time experience in the IT field. 85-90% of the jobs I have applied for require a mandatory Security+. Sometime last year, it was A+, or Network +, but now, for the same jobs I searched last year, they all want Security +, which makes me glad I took this test!

What I have been looking at include: Help Desk, Desktop Support, Desktop Engineer, IT Support, Tech Support, IT Support Analyst, System Administrator (and Jr.) and so on. More on the side of support and "help desk" type jobs. With no past experience, it is tough. I managed to land some interviews last year pre taking Sec+, only with an Associates, but I didnt end up landing anything. I don't think possessing Sec+ now will guarantee me these jobs, but I believe I will get more interviews than I did, and will stay in the "yes" pile longer. Trust me, I am in this struggle with you! Sick of the bartending life! Good luck