What good resource/certification to learn how to administer CUCM

Route->ThisRoute->This Member Posts: 32 ■■□□□□□□□□
I'm looking to get the ccna voice cert to supplement my voice experience before I venture off into ccnp territory. I want to get a hang of navigating through the CUCM 8.6 gui and knowing how to administer it just enough to say I know my way around it. I'm not sure if the ccna voice is enough to give me a nice overview on how to manage the cucm gui or if thats where the CIPT1 exam comes in. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Route->ThisRoute->This Member Posts: 32 ■■□□□□□□□□
    No voice guys on this site?
  • bobfromfplbobfromfpl Member Posts: 104
    To learn your way around CUCM you will definitely want to find a CIPT1 resource. This basically defines a single site setup and goes through alot of basic features and many commonly used sub menus, basic call routing ect.

However you will definitely want to get a CVOICE reference aswell, this goes through all the details of the different gateway types, codecs, DSP, SIP, and much much more. I would say the CVOICE test is very much like CCNA R/S, its so much material and intro to voice it seemed overwhelming at first, just as the CCNA did for me a few years ago. The whole CCNP Voice track builds on itself and you really have to go in order or else it's easy to misunderstand a topic. Just my opinion anyways!
  • HondabuffHondabuff Member Posts: 667 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • Route->ThisRoute->This Member Posts: 32 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks guys for your responses. I'm a bit surprised how dead the voice board has been :/
  • wgroomwgroom Member Posts: 147
    If you have a server running ESXi 5 or better, you can build a CUCM server, add a CUC server, and play around. Once you learn the basics, it is a great system to work in. There are many abilities the newer call managers have, and playing on your own system is a great way to learn. And the beauty of ESXi, as long as you take periodic snapshots, if you hose something up you can always revert back.
    Cisco VoIP Engineer I
    CCNA R&S COLOR=#008000]Complete[/COLOR CCNA Voice COLOR=#008000]Complete[/COLOR CCNA Collaboration [In Progress]
  • jamesp1983jamesp1983 Member Posts: 2,475 ■■■■□□□□□□
    wgroom wrote: »
    If you have a server running ESXi 5 or better, you can build a CUCM server, add a CUC server, and play around. Once you learn the basics, it is a great system to work in. There are many abilities the newer call managers have, and playing on your own system is a great way to learn. And the beauty of ESXi, as long as you take periodic snapshots, if you hose something up you can always revert back.

Do you have to run it on 5 or better? I installed CUCM 8.5 along with CUPS on ESXi 4.1 and haven't ran in to any issues yet, but will I?
    "Check both the destination and return path when a route fails." "Switches create a network. Routers connect networks."
  • shodownshodown Member Posts: 2,271
    No you can run it on lower versions. Mine is running on 4x right now. CUCM wasn't even supported on 5x until recently.
    Currently Reading

CUCM SRND 9x/10, UCCX SRND 10x, QOS SRND, SIP Trunking Guide, anything contact center related