OSCP alone or with partner

ohmohm Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
Me and my coworker were thinking of taking OSCP certification.
My coworker has a lot more hands on experience with pentesting.
Also my coworker can dedicate a lot of time for the test while I can only dedicate an hour to an hour and a half each day at the most.
I was wondering if it would be more beneficial for me to do the certification alone or with coworker?

Comments

• Master Of PuppetsMaster Of Puppets Member Posts: 1,210
    Maybe this comes down to personal preference and how one learns best. IMO, it is always better to have a study/lab/whatever partner. If it was me, I would join forces with your co-worker. Sounds like you can learn from him and as long as he doesn't give you the answers and helps you the right way, it can turn out great.
    Yes, I am a criminal. My crime is that of curiosity. My crime is that of judging people by what they say and think, not what they look like. My crime is that of outsmarting you, something that you will never forgive me for.
  • docricedocrice Member Posts: 1,706 ■■■■■■■■■■
    On the other hand, one of the biggest benefits in going at it alone is forcing yourself to improvise and test the limits of your creativity. Influences are great, but sometime it can also short-circuit your potential in the long run (which is a quality I find in SANS training). Being in a "non-production" situation where you can fail, fail, and fail again so you can see and learn from your mistakes is one of the greatest strengths of the Offensive Security training approach.
    Hopefully-useful stuff I've written: http://kimiushida.com/bitsandpieces/articles/