Passed Sec+

pzeropzero Member Posts: 192
Passed Security+ yesterday arvo with a 869. I was planning on sitting this exam in Jan next year, but then I thought, im nearly ready, why not attempt it now and finish the year with a cert.

Spent a good 6 weeks with the materials, on top of what ive already picked up along the way with my 15 years in IT.

Utilised about 90 mins a day for study on the train, plus some light reading at night, and between 6-12 hours over the weekends.

I used CBT Nuggets, Professor Messer for video content, and the highly recomended and praised Darril Gibson book. Dabbled a bit at the end with proprofs for revision.

The exam threw up 6 simulations, 75 questions in total, finished the exam with 30 mins to spare, spent 15 mins going back over the answers.

Also a big thanks to the TE community for the inspiration.

Comments

• shyguyITshyguyIT Member Posts: 380
    Congrats! icon_thumright.gif
    2017 Goals:
    Route[X], Switch [], TSHOOT[]
  • BetrayalBetrayal Member Posts: 108
    Congrats on taking it, I'm 16 years old and I plan on taking it next year in either January of February. I already got my A+ and lots of knowledge in IT. How hard was the exam on a scale of 1-10 or is it pretty easy if you already have good knowledge in IT security, just information to memorize?
  • acharya007acharya007 Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congratulations!!!
  • pzeropzero Member Posts: 192
    I think the exam was harder than I made it out in my head to be. I had been exposed to a lot of terminologies and meanings over the years, so the study was mainly a brush up on those topics. Im from more a sysadmin background than an infosec one.

I needed to put a little extra effort into the PKI and VPN topics. There were certainly more networky type questions than I anticipated and I certainly picked up a lot on all the topics from the study that I did. I dont recall any question on the exam that wasnt covered in the book or that I got surprised by when I was doing the exam.

What I would say, is use multiple sources wherever possible to get different points of views, and even if you think you know the topic, study it again anyway.

Good luck!
  • Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats on pass!! icon_thumright.gif
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • DAVIS NGUYENDAVIS NGUYEN Member Posts: 1,472 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats on the pass icon_thumright.gif
  • FloOzFloOz Member Posts: 1,614 ■■■■□□□□□□
  • DarrilDarril Member Posts: 1,588
    Congratulations on the pass. 869 is a great score and excellent that you took it early once you realized you were ready.

Good luck with your next adventure.
  • scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    Congratulations!!
    Never let your fear decide your fate....