Options

Programming

SpoonroomSpoonroom Member Posts: 33 ■■□□□□□□□□
I've decided to give programming another go and see where it takes me. I've done a VB6 course a couple of years ago, so I decided to start with VB.NET. I'm using Visual Studio 2005 and will be working through a "beginners guide" the next couple of weeks/months/years ;)

Is VB.NET a good path to take career wise and what certifications can I get with it?

Comments

• Options
    rcooprcoop Member Posts: 183
    There are a number Microsoft certifications based on VB.NET. There are a number of VB certification exams, and I believe two current level of developer certifications (three if you count the basic MCP after passing a single exam).

As far as jobs go, I don't have much idea.

Good luck,
    --Rcoop
    Working on MCTS:SQL Server 2005 (70-431) & Server+
  • Options
    /usr/usr Member Posts: 1,768
    From what I hear, if you begin doing software development with Visual Studio.NET, you might want to consider learning C#, as it seems there are numerous jobs available.
  • Options
    bcairnsbcairns Member Posts: 280
    As far as .Net goes....

VB.Net is the upgrade to VB6 - personally I hate the fact that Microsoft called it VB.net - sure it has the VB syntax and has some backwards legacy functions but still it (like all other .net languages) is really just a thin layer over the .net assemblies...I think they really should have named it B#

As for VB vs C# - like I said it really does not matter much - both are just thin layers over the .net framework.

Personally I am an old VB programmer myself, I decided to learn both VB.net and C#

As for certifications, be carful, Microsoft is releasing a "new generation" of certifications...

http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mcp/mcpd/windev/