Your choice of Voice router

JeanMJeanM Member Posts: 1,117
Hi,

If you had an extra 2620xm, 3725, and 2811 . What would you pick for your dedicated CME router and why?

I am wanting to re-wire my lab at home as I start to get into ccna voice, and figured I'd ask your thoughts on this.

I have a 3550 poe and a couple 7940g phones, I'll probably pick up one more 3550poe switch and maybe a 7960 phone as I get more into this.

Thanks
2015 goals - ccna voice / vmware vcp.

Comments

• shodownshodown Member Posts: 2,271
    2811 would be the CME router as you can get 8x software on it. The other ones can't go that high.
    Currently Reading

CUCM SRND 9x/10, UCCX SRND 10x, QOS SRND, SIP Trunking Guide, anything contact center related
  • JeanMJeanM Member Posts: 1,117
    Thanks! I am setting up my hypervisor, and found this thread - http://www.techexams.net/forums/ccnp-voice/83081-successfully-installed-cucm-8-6-vmware-esxi-5-13hrs.html

I need to do more reading, but this is something I want to play with for sure.
  • jamesp1983jamesp1983 Member Posts: 2,475 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Jean, it's not that bad getting CUCM set up in VMware. Good luck and let us know if you run into any problems.
    "Check both the destination and return path when a route fails." "Switches create a network. Routers connect networks."
  • theodoxatheodoxa Member Posts: 1,340 ■■■■□□□□□□
    The 2800 series (2801, 2811, 2821, 2851) are the best option. They will run IOS 15.1M/T, CUCME 8, and support CCP (Cisco Configuration Professional). Only downside is they don't support most 1st Generation VIC and PVDM modules. You will need 2nd Generation (VIC2-xxxx, PVDM2-xx) VICs and PVDMs. But, these are starting to sell for more affordable prices now (especially the PVDM2-48 ). I recently bought a VIC2-2FXO [for my 2801] so that I didn't have to keep using a separate 1760 for analog calls.
    R&S: CCENT CCNA CCNP CCIE [ ]
    Security: CCNA [ ]
    Virtualization: VCA-DCV [ ]
  • JeanMJeanM Member Posts: 1,117
    Thanks guys! I'll keep one 2811 that I have then, don't have any voice specific modules yet, I still need to read and understand what is used for what before I order any of them :)