Passed FIREWALL!

Vask3nVask3n Member Posts: 517
I just sat FIREWALL for the first time and passed. I think the actual cutoff for passing depends on the specific exam you get and the number of questions on it, etc.

I used the following:

Official Cert Guide (recommended)
CBT Nuggets for 624-617 (Michael Shannon)
CBT Nuggets for 624-618 (Keith Barker)
Quick Reference (Anthony Sequeira)
Some free videos by INE on youtube (they have some sample vids for FIREWALL)
TONS of printed documentation from Cisco. I would highly recommend googling any of the exam topics and printing the Cisco documentation for it, going through it, highlighting the important parts, and then reading it back over and over until you know it by heart.

I also access multiple ASAs at work (one 5505 and one 5525-X predominantly) both through ASDM and SSH.

I think this exam should be called the NAT exam if you catch my drift! Make sure you know both Pre-8.3 and Post-8.3 syntax for NAT.

Not to sound negative but I was really disappointed with the ASDM simulations that were on this test. I really think that Cisco should be doing a better job at simulating their GUIs because the interface was super clunky, VERY SMALL (you need to use the scroll bars for EVERYTHING). This makes it really hard to switch between the question and the ASDM. I also had weird glitches where I would select something on the GUI, like a drop-down, and the dropdown would automatically disappear on its own without my clicking out of it. I think the real issue with this is that when you are sitting the exam, little problems like this can cause extra stress.
Working on MS-ISA at Western Governor's University

Comments

• shyguyITshyguyIT Member Posts: 380
    Congrats! icon_thumright.gif
    2017 Goals:
    Route[X], Switch [], TSHOOT[]
  • broli720broli720 Member Posts: 394 ■■■■□□□□□□
  • TrifidwTrifidw Member Posts: 281
    Congrats!

I'm currently working my way through the OCG and finding it very frustrating to read through, could be so much better laid out. Think I might make my own mini book to refer to.

Was there a big focus on ASDM compared to CLI then?
  • Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats!! icon_thumright.gif
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • Master Of PuppetsMaster Of Puppets Member Posts: 1,210
    Congrats!
    Yes, I am a criminal. My crime is that of curiosity. My crime is that of judging people by what they say and think, not what they look like. My crime is that of outsmarting you, something that you will never forgive me for.
  • mtjikuzumtjikuzu Member Posts: 23 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats, whats next?
  • Vask3nVask3n Member Posts: 517
    Thanks everyone, I'm thinking of either VPN next or SECURE. I've done some AnyConnect in the past so I might get VPN out of the way first even though SECURE sounds interesting to me. Like Master of Puppets said in another thread, make sure you know both the ASDM and the CLI equally well fo these.
  • Master Of PuppetsMaster Of Puppets Member Posts: 1,210
    I found VPN to be pretty easy once you have some hands-on. So in case you have done this stuff in production it won't be very hard. IPS though seems to be the tougherst at least for me. Good luck!
    Yes, I am a criminal. My crime is that of curiosity. My crime is that of judging people by what they say and think, not what they look like. My crime is that of outsmarting you, something that you will never forgive me for.
  • JeanMJeanM Member Posts: 1,117
    Congrats!
    2015 goals - ccna voice / vmware vcp.
  • Vask3nVask3n Member Posts: 517
    Thanks once again everyone and happy new year, I am in the process of studying for VPN now. I've made my way through most of Keith Barker's nuggets but it's just my first run through them (I tend to do multiple views). I'm going to try to secure a copy of the VPN book as well. I decided to jump right into VPN instead of taking too much time off because I want to do it while I'm still in the zone.

What I like about the VPN exam so far is that it's really practical, especially with the troubleshooting nuggets in Keith's series. It's very hands-on.