A+ certification Help

akhakh Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi dears
After a long run about 12 years in IT professional i finally decided to go for A+, N+ and Security+. Kindly guide me that should i join any class room or i should prepare with self study. Answers will be appreciated.

Comments

• RuminusRuminus Member Posts: 56 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I passed my 220-801 on 11/19/13 and 220-802 11/20/13. I used the book A+ for Dummies and the training videos on VTC.com. With 12 years under your belt, these should be more than enough of a refresher to help get you dialed in and ready for the exams. I'm sure others will post their ideas shortly, and good luck!
    WGU Classes Finished: GAC1, WFV1, UBC1, EUP1, EUC1, TCP1, COV1, CJC1, CUV1, CQV1, IWT1, TPV1, CTV1, C173, C185, ABV1, C179, C697, C698
    Program (BSIT-NA) completion: 80%
  • earonw49earonw49 Member Posts: 190 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I am currently studying using the CompTIA-220-801, 220-802 Authorized Cram Exam, 6th Edition. It says "cram" in the title however it is anything but a "cram" book for it gives you precisely the knowledge you need to pass the exam and more. I also watch Professor Messer's free A+ certification videos online and I HIGHLY recommend using notecards as well.

I am taking my certs next week and will let you know how I did.
    WGU B.S. IT - Progress: Feb 2015 - End Date Jan 2018
    WGU M.S Cyber Security & Assurance - Progress: March 2019 - End Date June 2019
  • acharya007acharya007 Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Good Luck and let us know how it went, preparing for the same.
  • akhakh Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thnx for reply! u mentioned "cram" books i did not understand about cram plz revert details. I was also looking for a book over A+ and find Prof Mike Meyers "All-in-one" A+ text to study. Please suggest which edition to buy 7th or 8th.
    CompTIA A+ 220-801 and 220-802 Authorized Exam Cram (6th Edition): David L. Prowse: 9780789749710: Amazon.com: Books

^^^^^ is the Exam Cram book that we mentioned. It is an excellent study tool, for it pretty much "cuts to the chase" and gives you precise essential information needed to pass the exam. It literally is the definition of a "cram" book. Since you have been in the IT field for more than 12 years I personally HIGHLY RECOMMEND the "Cram" book.

Mike Meyers All-in-One is an excellent source as well but know that it has a bit more detailed information compared to the "Exam Cram" book. Those details or some might say "fluff" isn't needed for an IT professional who already has a plethora of experience, such as yourself. Just my two cents (opinion).

IF you are going / leaning towards the Mike Meyers All-in-One book, you NEEDto get the 8th edition. The 7th edition consist of information pertaining to the old701 & 702 A+ cert exams which are to this date, expired and retired.

If you are going / leaning towards the Authorized Exam Cram book, make sure you grab the 6th edition

Let us know if you have any more questions Akh!
  • akhakh Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Is there any soft copy to download in PDF format belong to Prof Mike Meyers "All-in-one" A+. Please refer the link i will be thankful.
  • PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    Akh, the Mike Meyers text is one you purchase (or maybe borrow from a friend) it is not to be illegally downloaded. There may be an Ebola version if you look online at B&N or amazon, but for myself, I prefer a text.

You may however, download a copy of the objectives from CompTIA's website.

As far as how to prepare, I would recommend starting with the objectives and reviewing what you know and what you need to learn more about. Then invest in a text or two. Cram books are great for folks who need a light review, but I do not recommend them for folks who really need to fill in many gaps in their knowledge/experience.

CompTIA exams are geared toward candidates WITH experience, which if I read your post correctly, you have. So, start with the objectives and assess how much you know vs. what you need to study and then go from there. I rarely think camps or classes are necessary for CompTIA exams.

BTW - Mr. Meyers has been known to read the forums...his test is worth the price.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • --chris----chris-- Member Posts: 1,518 ■■■■■□□□□□
    earonw49 wrote: »
    I am currently studying using the CompTIA-220-801, 220-802 Authorized Cram Exam, 6th Edition. It says "cram" in the title however it is anything but a "cram" book for it gives you precisely the knowledge you need to pass the exam and more. I also watch Professor Messer's free A+ certification videos online and I HIGHLY recommend using notecards as well.

I am taking my certs next week and will let you know how I did.

I know its hard to believe, but the exam cram book is really a condensed version lol. Have you read the Mike Meyers "bible"? Its 1200+ pages...

I used the exam cram books and prof messer. Each were equally important and without them I doubt I would have passed.
  • DissonantDataDissonantData Member Posts: 158
    --chris-- wrote: »
    I know its hard to believe, but the exam cram book is really a condensed version lol. Have you read the Mike Meyers "bible"? Its 1200+ pages...

I used the exam cram books and prof messer. Each were equally important and without them I doubt I would have passed.

How much notes did you take? I basically took notes on the Messer videos and then just rewatched them. For the exam cram, I used the software that came with the book and repeatedly did the test and read the explanations. I didn't take notes for the exam cram. I only read through the Mike Myers A+ book and didn't take much notes if any.
    --chris-- wrote: »

I have read it indeed (really early this year) and it is a chunk to read however, it IS an amazing source for preparing yourself to tackle the A+ Exams. I personally just went for the double "exam cram" books (practice questions and actual book) late this year. I will be reviewing professor M.'s videos sometime next week before my exams.

As far as notes are concerned, I personally am taking notes in the areas I am weak in and making flash cards to study those said areas