Cisco and Juniper routers to communicate

sendalotsendalot Member Posts: 328
I just got myself a Juniper Security Gateway (JUNOS Router) on top of my existing Cisco network.
Has anyone done a inter-vendor routing?

I want to implement OSPF (since both vendors support it) to have them talk to each other.

If I want Juniper's outside interface plugged into a Cisco switch that connects to a Cisco IOS router, do I simply give a static ip on that interface Juniper connects to?

Also, I want as simple areas a possible. Shall Juniper's inside be area 1 and Cisco/Juniper outside area be 0 and Cisco's inside by area 2?

So we are looking at ISP <-> CiscoRouter <-> CiscoSwitch <-> Juniper Router, where <-> is an Ethernet cable.

Thanks.

Comments

• EdTheLadEdTheLad Member Posts: 2,111 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Yes just give the interface and ip address, if you want it as simple as possible why not make it all area 0. I hope this is a testlab, not a production config icon_smile.gif . The one thing you will have to be careful on is the ip mtu, i'm not sure whether juniper include the layer 2 header or not. Ospf needs mtu to match on both sides, just know their could be a 14 byte discrepency, i.e. you might have to make mtu 1514 on junos and 1500 on cisco.
    Networking, sometimes i love it, mostly i hate it.Its all about the $$$$
  • sendalotsendalot Member Posts: 328
    Shall I make two interfaces as "outside" on the Cisco router? One facing ISP and the other facing Juniper?
    Thanks.
  • StaunchyStaunchy Member Posts: 180
    are you gonna nat traffic going from the cisco router to the juniper router? If yes than yes than you make the interface outside otherwise no
    2016 Goals: CCNP R&S, CCNA Security, CCNP Security
    LinkedIn
    Ohh..then the big question would be who handles DHCP? If Cisco router hands out IP, Juniper shouldn't, correct? If they are all part of one local network.
    I only need NAT when talking to outside world.
    sendalot wrote: »
    Ohh..then the big question would be who handles DHCP? If Cisco router hands out IP, Juniper shouldn't, correct? If they are all part of one local network.
    I only need NAT when talking to outside world.

You can setup both Cisco and Juniper routers to handle DHCP requests on the LAN or you can put an IP helper address on the Juniper internal interfaces to forward DHCP request to the Cisco router. Routers block broadcast by default. Generally yes but in some cases you can use nat internally as well for example if the LAN's on the Cisco and Juniper uses the same private IP address range.
    LinkedIn
    Does anyone know how to do that on Juniper? I haven't gone for JNCIA yet and not too familiar with JUNOS yet.
    I'm planning to do JNCIA after CCNA.

This might help you, https://www.juniper.net/us/en/training/jnbooks/day-one/
    LinkedIn