Gigabit Switch

JeanMJeanM Member Posts: 1,117
Built a dedicated Nas box using g1610 cpu an itx board in a 2U case, and can't go back to 100mbs now that I've switched to 1gb connection.

I am adding a dedicated i7 box for VM use and wanted to know what do you guys use for Gigabit switches?

Was thinking this should do :

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833122111

http://www.amazon.com/CISCO-SYSTEMS-SG100D-08-NA-Gigabit-Switch/dp/B007SU0LBS/
2015 goals - ccna voice / vmware vcp.

Comments

• emerald_octaneemerald_octane Member Posts: 613
    I would go with a managed switch such as the SG200 just to have VLAN and Jumbo Frames. SG300 will give you VLANs, Jumbo Frames and L3 routing.
  • JeanMJeanM Member Posts: 1,117
    I would go with a managed switch such as the SG200 just to have VLAN and Jumbo Frames. SG300 will give you VLANs, Jumbo Frames and L3 routing.

Well, it doesn't have to be a managed switch , nor does it need to have POE. I do have a couple 3550 switches, for Voice/poe already but they aren't gb switches.
  • jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I am using some old HP Procurve - but when buying new, the small business serious emerald mentioned is a lot cheaper (you can get the ones without POE as well).
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • santaownssantaowns Member Posts: 366
    I got this at frys, FRYS.com | NETGEAR I also have a gigabit cisco small business switch with 24 ports, but that was enough for my use.
  • phonicphonic Member Posts: 82 ■■□□□□□□□□
    You mentioned a NAS and VM server. Are you planning on doing iSCSI between the two? If so, I too would also recommend going with a managed switch. Otherwise, performance will be mediocre at best.

Personally, I do like the Netgear GS110TP. It is 8xGB Ethernet + 2GBICs. Fully managed (VLANs, etc.). The downside (or upside for some) is that it supports PoE. If you don't need it, that's an added cost. But I've used these frequently and like them a lot.
    phonic wrote: »
    You mentioned a NAS and VM server. Are you planning on doing iSCSI between the two? If so, I too would also recommend going with a managed switch. Otherwise, performance will be mediocre at best.

Personally, I do like the Netgear GS110TP. It is 8xGB Ethernet + 2GBICs. Fully managed (VLANs, etc.). The downside (or upside for some) is that it supports PoE. If you don't need it, that's an added cost. But I've used these frequently and like them a lot.

Hi,

So I went ahead and odered a basic unmanaged 8 port netgar gigabit switch from newegg for now, for basic connectivity.

Right now, I just have NAS, I don't have SAN/iSCSI storage. I ordered 4u rack mount case for a dedicated hypervisor.
  • Corndork2Corndork2 Member Posts: 266
    That netgear is a solid soho switch however be careful when using it with VMware. I assume you'll have multiple NIC's on your VM ESXi host. The netgear does not support LAG, LACP, Etherchanel or VLAN's. Thus, you wont be able to reliably connect multiple NIC's from the same host with VLAN tags or port aggregation. I'd also be worried about broadcast storms with mutiple NIC's from the same Vswitch connected to that netgear.

Maybe the 3550 you have is a better bet? Im sure its slower in overall throughput as most 3550's arent gigabit, however you'll get to do more involved labs involving networking and VMware.
    Brocade: BAIS, BACNS, BAEFS Cisco: CCENT, CCNA R&S CWNP: CWTS Juniper: JNCIA-JUNOS
    CompTIA: A+ (2009), Network+ (2009), A+ CE, Network+ CE, Security+ CE, CDIA+
    Mikrotik: MTCNA, MTCRE, MTCWE, MTCTCE VMware: VCA-DV Rackspace: CloudU
  • santaownssantaowns Member Posts: 366
    The netgear I posted does support lacpand vlan
    Corndork2 wrote: »
    That netgear is a solid soho switch however be careful when using it with VMware. I assume you'll have multiple NIC's on your VM ESXi host. The netgear does not support LAG, LACP, Etherchanel or VLAN's. Thus, you wont be able to reliably connect multiple NIC's from the same host with VLAN tags or port aggregation. I'd also be worried about broadcast storms with mutiple NIC's from the same Vswitch connected to that netgear.

Maybe the 3550 you have is a better bet? Im sure its slower in overall throughput as most 3550's arent gigabit, however you'll get to do more involved labs involving networking and VMware.

I'll use either 2950 or 3550 as a dedicated VM switch, until I upgrade to a gigabit switch. The Soho switch is perfect for basic connectivity between the two workstations/nas/media player and lab. I leave it on 24/7, and don't have to worry about the noise like on the managed switches :)