Is Assoc of ISC2 (CISSP) worth it for entry-level?

CoolAsAFanCoolAsAFan Member Posts: 239
I have really been wanting to challenge CISSP lately, but I don't think there would be any value (career-wise) as I don't even have an IT job right now. I plan on going for entry-level networking after I finish CCNA and CCNA-Sec.

I guess my questions are:
Would it be easier to get an entry-level networking job with Assoc CISSP vs. without it?
Or would it be insignificant either way since its just entry-level networking?
Do people usually wait to challenge CISSP until their career would directly benefit from it?

Thanks!
IvyTech - AS CINS (Completed: May, 2013)
WGU Indiana - BS IT Security
(Started: August 1st, 2013)

Transferred: AGC1 CDP1 BVC1 CLC1 CVV1 DHV1 DJV1 GAC1 CIC1 CDC1 UBT1 IWC1 IWT1 TCP1 TJP1 TJC1 EBV1 WFV1 EUP1 EUC1 CJC1 UBC1 TBP1
Completed: CUV1 BOV1 DRV1 DSV1 CTV1 CJV1 COV1 CQV1 CNV1 TPV1 MGC1 TXC1 TXP1 BNC1 TYP1 TYC1
Required:
SBT1 RGT1 RIT1

Comments

• broli720broli720 Member Posts: 394 ■■■■□□□□□□
    The CISSP is meant to compliment your experience in the field and is not an entry level credential. To gain experience you'll most likely start out in a help desk role before moving into networking. So I would start with that.
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    The CISSP is not related to networking operations or design. It would be a compliment to a networking position where an understanding of information security were also desired or required.
  • CoolAsAFanCoolAsAFan Member Posts: 239
    Thanks guys that's pretty much what I figured. I was just curious if it happened to between me and a few other candidates that HR would "automatically" pick a CISSP Assoc vs the others if equally stacked. I should have mentioned that I do intend on getting into infosec when my experience allows it.

I guess I am just getting anxious because I will be applying for positions soon and want to separate myself as much as possible from the other million people looking for an entry-level networking job haha.
    IvyTech - AS CINS (Completed: May, 2013)
    WGU Indiana - BS IT Security
    (Started: August 1st, 2013)

Transferred: AGC1 CDP1 BVC1 CLC1 CVV1 DHV1 DJV1 GAC1 CIC1 CDC1 UBT1 IWC1 IWT1 TCP1 TJP1 TJC1 EBV1 WFV1 EUP1 EUC1 CJC1 UBC1 TBP1
    Completed: CUV1 BOV1 DRV1 DSV1 CTV1 CJV1 COV1 CQV1 CNV1 TPV1 MGC1 TXC1 TXP1 BNC1 TYP1 TYC1
    Required:
    SBT1 RGT1 RIT1
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    Experience is what will separate you from all of their other candidates who only have one or two networking certs. It could be paid work experience, volunteering/interning to troubleshoot or maintain networks for an organization, or significant hobby projects that your have blogged about. Hiring managers want people who know how to solve their problems and have a verifiable track record of doing so.
  • emerald_octaneemerald_octane Member Posts: 613
    I have seen great success provided with my credentials + associate status however YMMV.
  • j1mggj1mgg Member Posts: 45 ■■□□□□□□□□
    You would technically have a year to get into a job that uses 2 of the cissp domains in everyday work.

Cissp requires 5 years expierence in 2 of the studied domains, and an associate lasts for 4 years, from a quick Google.

If you have had no it work expieremce at all I would point you towards MS entry level certs.
  • emerald_octaneemerald_octane Member Posts: 613
    j1mgg wrote: »
    You would technically have a year to get into a job that uses 2 of the cissp domains in everyday work.

Cissp requires 5 years expierence in 2 of the studied domains, and an associate lasts for 4 years, from a quick Google.

No, associate gives you six years to get the required experience.

https://www.isc2.org/how-to-become-an-associate.aspx
    The Associate of (ISC)² designation is valid for a maximum of six years from the date (ISC)² notifies you that you have passed the CISSP exam, within which time, you'll need to obtain the required experience and submit the required endorsement form for certification as a CISSP.

Also a candidate is required to have 5 years of cumulative experience in at least two domains. 2 Years Physical sec, 3 years cryptography would work. five years of both or being a cryptography&facilities manager isn't necessary.
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I know we had this discussion before, but if you have multiple ISC2 certs do you have to maintain all of them to be in good standing with ISC2? In other words, if you have the SSCP and then decide to get the CISSP can you let the SSCP expire?
  • kalkan999kalkan999 Member Posts: 269 ■■■■□□□□□□
    You can let any of them expire. SSCP for most is a stepping stone to the CISSP, but maintaining both credentials via CPE's is a win, in my opinion.
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Great, I may make that one of my goals for this year.