best lab setup for 70-410

chickenlicken09chickenlicken09 Member Posts: 537 ■■■■□□□□□□
what have ye guys been using? Is server 2012 and windows 8 sufficient?
Also should i create these in hyper-v or just create in virtual box?

Comments

• EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    My lab is all nested Hyper-v, let's me create as many virtual hosts as I need and then put my VM's inside those. This setup is good for all 2012 exams. If your aim for now is just this one exam, then either Hyper-v or VirtualBox is good. But I'd still go with Hyper-v, you learn an additional skill.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • chickenlicken09chickenlicken09 Member Posts: 537 ■■■■□□□□□□
    i intend doing all 3 exams. Would you mind explaining exactly how you have it setup? Did you just install standalone hyper-v on a physical box or what?
  • EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Sure. Here you go > virtuallyGhetto: How to Enable Support for Nested 64bit & Hyper-V VMs in vSphere 5

Check the part just before the comments begin.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • SteveFerSteveFer Member Posts: 69 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Im studying for the 70-680 at the moment but will be starting the 410 and then 411 after, I use virtualbox for the 680 because I use w8 core(no hyper -v ) , is it worth upgrading to w8 pro for hyper -v for the 410 and 411, considering it is in the exam objectives ?
  • MSSoftieMSSoftie Member Posts: 190 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I have heard it is possible to load Server 2012 onto a virtual box and run the Hyper-V services inside of that. I can only imagine that being a resource hog but it may be possible to do that if you don't do much more than create a Hyper-V VM for the experience of doing it and then removing it. If money is tight, that may be a real option. I think it would be more ideal to go ahead and use Hyper-V to do your VMs as that is what is being tested. However, real life means that we don't always have the best options available to us - so do the best you can. You might first try the virtual box route to see if it is even an option and move on from there.
  • FlemethFlemeth Member Posts: 41 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I m dont think it works , i tried that as i have a linux os at home but i was not able to start virtualization from inside a VM. I tried the trial edition of VMware workstation with same results . The solution if used was to install the evaluation edition of windows 2012 R2 on my physical machine and use it like that . There may be other options .
  • SteveFerSteveFer Member Posts: 69 ■■□□□□□□□□
    MSSoftie wrote: »
    I have heard it is possible to load Server 2012 onto a virtual box and run the Hyper-V services inside of that. I can only imagine that being a resource hog but it may be possible to do that if you don't do much more than create a Hyper-V VM for the experience of doing it and then removing it. If money is tight, that may be a real option. I think it would be more ideal to go ahead and use Hyper-V to do your VMs as that is what is being tested. However, real life means that we don't always have the best options available to us - so do the best you can. You might first try the virtual box route to see if it is even an option and move on from there.

Thanks for the advice, money isn't overly tight, if I thaught it would benefit me I'd certainly pay it, I'm just wondering would it benefit me that much for the exam, instead of using VB
    yes i tried it today also, didnt work.how about installing standalone hyper-v on virtual box.
  • fabgfabg Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hello,

Working on a training lab machine around Xeon and Win Server 2012 to study.
    1. Xeon CPU
    2. 16 GB of memory
    3. MoBo Supermicro X10SAT
    4. Nanoxia case with Corsair PSU
    5. Intel NICs
    6. WD HDDs

Will use Hyper-V and two instances of Win Server 2012 VMs with some VM mixed clients.

Any suggestions for improvement will be appreciated

Thanks,
    i read having 2 vms, one gui and one server core is enough for the 70-410. Can anyone confirm this.
  • ItrimbleItrimble Member Posts: 221
    I have been running my own nested instances of Hyper-V under 2012.
    I have a Windows 2008 Domain Controller (Server1)
    Windows Server 2012 Domain Controller2 (Server2)
    Three clients (Two Windows 7, One Windows icon_cool.gif

This is all running off of a core i3 with 32GB of memory. (Processor isn't nearly powerful enough)
    I will be soon adding a server core installation, as soon as I get a new processor 4930k to replace this machine.
    I also have a 4 port NIC that I plan to use for NIC teaming.
    I successfully enabled remote desktop on the virtualized 2008 server, and can mess with it at work.
    I am also learning about VEAM backup and replication in addition to the DATTO file backup appliances.

I am also learning how to deploy Office 365 to my lab. Microsoft gave out a free year trial with up to 25 users. Not too shabby.

If you have any questions, please feel free to let me know, as this is definitely a work in progress.
    Goals for 2015 : Finish BS Network Administration at WGU
    Become CCNA, CISSP, CEH, VCP5-10 Certified
    Possible Start Masters in Information Security