CCNA Study Group

Agent47Agent47 Member Posts: 103
Hi!

I know that there are quite a few of you who are taking the exam a month or more from now. Although I have my CCENT, one of my goals next year is to obtain the CCNA and then get CCNA Security. I am gearing up to study the new topics for ICND2 however I am going over ICND 1 to refresh my memory.

My question is:

Would anyone be interested in making this an accountability thread? Just kind of report in what you worked on that day, what your goal for the day or week you know stuff like that? Just as a motivation, get things going type thing.

What do you think? You're also welcome to PM me too. I plan to start next week.
icon_study.gif

Links:

Free Flashcards:
Studyblue.com - you have to sign up this (free) but its worth it. Has some free material that you can use.

Quizlet | CCNA

Other:
Be sure to pick up the subnet calculator too from the left menu. It's nifty.

Subnettingquestions.com - Free Subnetting Questions

You can print these if you like:
Subnetting Guide.pdf

Binary Charts.pdf

The OSI Model-Ports.pdf

Comments

• wgroomwgroom Member Posts: 147
    I am beginning my CCNA Voice studies tomorrow afternoon. It has been a week for the CCENT to settle in, now time for Voice. I will be testing no later than 4/30/2014. Then I will switch tracks to obtain CCNA R&S no later than 10/31/2014. I cannot guarentee that I will check in every day, but every week is a certainty. Best of luck with your studies, and we will be talking. This is a great idea, by the way!
    Cisco VoIP Engineer I
    CCNA R&S COLOR=#008000]Complete[/COLOR CCNA Voice COLOR=#008000]Complete[/COLOR CCNA Collaboration [In Progress]
  • HatahHatah Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
    How long did you study for the CCENT exam?
    2014 GOALS: CCENT [], CCNA [], CCNA-S [] , CISSP []
  • Magic JohnsonMagic Johnson Member Posts: 414
    Yeah sure. I hope to book my ccent for mid January so why not!
  • Agent47Agent47 Member Posts: 103
    Thanks, no problem wgroom, come by whenever you can (that goes for everyone)! I know its easy for life things to get in the way so I figured being part of something like this would help with the focus. Those are excellent goals, good luck to you as well alot of lab and reading material!

Hatah, I did my CCENT while at WGU so my time varied because of other work I had to do. I think it took me around a month and a half to 2? I suppose you may not know how long it really takes you personally until you dive into it.

Right now i'm using:
    Todd Lammle's CCNA Book (newest version)
    Videos from UDEMY By Chris Bryant (I have CCNA & CCNA Security)

Labbing
    Wendell Odom's Simulator (the older version)
    Possibly Packet tracer
    Yeah sure. I hope to book my ccent for mid January so why not!
    Sweet!!
  • Jon_CiscoJon_Cisco Member Posts: 1,772 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I'm going for my CCENT in late February. I plan to do an hour or so of reading or labbing a day and see how I do.
    My real goal is CCNA in the summer.

This week I am reviewing the Netacad Network II chapters 6 and 7. (ran out of time and skipped most of it during the semester)
  • shyguyITshyguyIT Member Posts: 380
    I am almost done reading Odom's ICND1 book and plan to take the test in two weeks. I'm interested in joining the CCNA study group.
    2017 Goals:
    Route[X], Switch [], TSHOOT[]
    Hatah, I took about 2 months to read Todd Lammle's CCNA book cover to cover. This was a good primer. Keep in mind I have been working on and off with Cisco for 7 years, the last year mostly voice. If you have the opportunity to work with the equipment as part of your job, it will be much easier. I have two routers and 4 switches right now, will be getting a 2821 in the next 60 days, and hoping for a 3560 PoE in the next 60 as well. This will round out a nice home lab. I am currently looking for a relatively stout server to run ESXi with CUCM, CUC, UCCX, and CUPS. As well as 2 Windows servers for DHCP, AD, DNS, and TFTP.
    Cisco VoIP Engineer I
    CCNA R&S COLOR=#008000]Complete[/COLOR CCNA Voice COLOR=#008000]Complete[/COLOR CCNA Collaboration [In Progress]
  • Alhaji265Alhaji265 Member Posts: 205 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'm interested! I finished the Wendell Odom book (ICND1) and now reviewing the Key Topics and using the practice exam from the textbook.
    This is so great to be getting feedback! Welcome! Shyguy, Jon, Alhaji!

Alhaji, when do you plan to take the ICND1? What did you think about Wendell's new book?

Shyguy, that sounds good, make sure you let us know how it went! Did you lab all along or did you set aside a chunk of time to focus only on that?

Jon, let us know how your exam goes when you take it. Im hoping for ccna and ccna:sec by the summer!

Let's keep it going! Thank you all for checking in!

BTW I wanted to show you all something. I just purchased a markerboard from home depot for $10 + tax as a cost effective whiteboard alternative. So far its working pretty well. Now if I need to memorize or jot something down, its the first thing I see. Got some mounting tape, dry erase markers from office depot and boom. Consider getting one of these if you need a whiteboard.

• Alhaji265Alhaji265 Member Posts: 205 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Most likely inJanuary. I personally like Wendells's book - he's straightforward with the material.
  • BokehBokeh Member Posts: 1,636 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I might be interested. I have the official CCENT guide along with Chris Bryant's guide and his Udemy videos.
    Yeah for sure ill let you guys know how it went. I should finish the book this weekend and ill have two weeks to lab/review for the test.
    2017 Goals:
  • StaunchyStaunchy Member Posts: 180
    I would also like to join in. I'm currently busy with ICND2 and aim to test on the 24/01/14.

So far I have found INCD2 to be a bit tougher than ICND1.
    2016 Goals: CCNP R&S, CCNA Security, CCNP Security
    LinkedIn
    Hit a snag today, had to spend 9 hours repairing the Jeep So tomorrow begins the studies. Sometimes life has a way of not fully cooperating!
    Cisco VoIP Engineer I
  • TechnoracerTechnoracer Member Posts: 105 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Agent47 wrote: »
    Thanks, no problem wgroom, come by whenever you can (that goes for everyone)!

I would come over if I knew where "Somewhere over the rainbow" is... Unless you're holding a video conferencing (Skype) study group. I just got my Cisco Netacad discount vouchers, and planning to take the ICND1 in about a week, and ICND2 a week or two later... Using New Odom books, and ciscopress 200-120 Flash Cards, along with the new Cisco network simulator labs, Pearson practice tests, that came with the books, and CBT Nuggets videos.
  • Jon_CiscoJon_Cisco Member Posts: 1,772 ■■■■■■■■□□
    restarted Netacad Network II chapter 6 this morning.
    Spent about an hour starting to set up a home lab.
    More fun tomorrow at least until football starts.
  • Nightflier101BLNightflier101BL Member Posts: 134 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'd like to join the group. I'm currently working on my CCENT and would like to have that done by the end of January, then finish the ICND2 by the end of February.

I've got a whole library of stuff -

Wendell Odom's ICND1 and ICND2
    Todd Lammle's CCENT and CCNA
    Network Warrior
    Cisco Press Routing TCP/IP Vol 1

CBT Nuggets and Chris Bryant's CCNA on Udemy

Labbing with 3 3550's, 3 2621XM's and an 871W

Currently, I'm about halfway through the CBT Nuggets videos. I'm getting ready to start into routing. I'm feeling pretty comfortable with switching at the CCENT level. I don't really have a game plan with the books. I tend to watch the Udemy and CBT Nuggets videos first and then look at a particular subject in each of the different books to get different viewpoints on the subject- then follow it up with labbing.

Since the Christmas break, I've been a little lazy with my studying but will be getting back into it in the next day or two.

Robert
  • Magic JohnsonMagic Johnson Member Posts: 414
    Since the Christmas break, I've been a little lazy with my studying but will be getting back into it in the next day or two.

Nailed it, I had hoped to be finished icnd1 before xmas because I predicted this would happen and it has. Oh well, need to really slam it home after the new year.
  • zxbanezxbane Member Posts: 740 ■■■■□□□□□□
    This thread/group interests me! I wrapped up my CISSP in November and now I want to get my CCNA/CCNA:Sec. I am halfway through Todd Lammle's ICND1 and I have been doing his hands-on-labs in Packet Tracer. I also have memberships to CBTNuggets and Udemy and I have been watching some of those as well. Can anyone who recently passed the exam shine some light on what is needed for the labbing portion of the exam? I am trying to determine if the labs in Lammle's book will be enough or not, and if not where I can find some labs to go through to ensure I cover everything I need to for the exam. I have 6 yrs of IT experience but mostly on the Server/Sys Ad (Windows) side of things but that does help with some of the logical part of the exam, OSI etc. Hoping to knock ICND1 out soon and move onto the next half of the CCNA and then hopefully security as well!
    I have read chapters "Understanding EIGRP Concepts" and "Implementing EIGRP for IPv4", currently watching CBT Nuggets videos about EIGRP and than it's back to rereading those chapters in W. Odom's ICND2 book and also labing with GNS3
    LinkedIn
    Just finished reading the chapter on NAT. IPv6 is next and ill be done with the book which should give me plenty of time to lab/review for an early January test.
    2017 Goals:
  • XyroXyro Member Posts: 623
    wgroom wrote: »
    Hit a snag today, had to spend 9 hours repairing the Jeep So tomorrow begins the studies. Sometimes life has a way of not fully cooperating!

I fully relate to this.
    As far as labbing goes, to those who recently passed the new ICND1, without violating NDAA of course, can you guys elaborate on what you did to prepare for the lab portion of the exam? I have been going through the labs in Todd Lammle's book and also some that were on CBTNuggets so basically trying to see what exactly I need to cover to prepare for the exam.. It's a funny feeling, I recently passed CISSP and have my MCITP certs and some reason I am stressing the ICND1 or getting a grip on exactly what info I need to study to be prepared to pass the exam..
    Just finished the first 100 pages of CCNA Voice. All of my experience is in CUCM, from 4.2.3 to 8.6.1. Luckily, IristheAngel is selling a 2821 to me, so I can add this to my lab to begin working with CUCME. Not sure if I will add the CUE module, as I work with Unity Connection daily, and feel confident I can glean enough from that experience to muddle my way through CUE. I will be tying this 2821 into an existing data network, and if all comes together I will be getting a Dell 2950 server to host ESXi, CUCM, CUC, CUPS, and possibly a UCCX server. This will tie it all together, and once the 2821 connects to the PSTN I will be able to make and receive real world calls.

Again, I am hoping to be a CCNA-V by the end of April.
    Cisco VoIP Engineer I
    Zxbane, to pass the CCENT I studied Todd Lammle's CCNA book, another book titled CCNA in 60 days, and used a small home lab consisting of a 2610, a 2611, a 2950-48, and three 3550-48s. I was nervous as all get-out, but got through it. Keeping calm is key.
    Cisco VoIP Engineer I
    Welcome Staunchy! considering your exam is coming up pretty quickly, how do you feel about your grasp on the topics? Thanks for the update, keep up the good work!

Wgroom, wow sorry to hear about your car, at least you were able to do the repairs yourself! Good thing you can skip out on the stress of leaving it somewhere, having to re-arrange your schedule to get it fixed etc etc. No worries, just make sure you attack what you plan on studying for tomorrow.

Welcome Technoracer! Hahahaha I think when I first signed up here, guess I didn’t take filling out my profile too seriously lol. It would be cool to do something locally, but unfortunately I’m out west. Would have to look into getting Skype pro if there was really an interest in a few folks video conferencing. Wonder if Google hangouts could support multiple connections as I’ve only tried it with one computer. I’ll look into it. You definitely have a wealth of resources to pass the exam, so good luck and make sure you stop by to share your experience!

Jon_Cisco that sounds pretty interesting, what are the specs? Did you get physical hardware or are you simulating it virtually? Im trying to get my head around the routers and switches to get a good grasp on what would constitute a good beginner lab. Thought about certificationkits.com but then I get other people who say buy the parts separately cheaper etc etc.

Welcome Nightflier! We’re on the same schedule essentially! Sounds like you’re also off to a great start considering all of the resources you have. Thanks for the update on where you are in your studies and how you will go about passing the exam. Make sure to drop by from time to time, let us know how you’re doing in your studies etc.

Magic Johnson, hey it happens to the best of us. I have been needing to finish up the CCNA for a long time and I am finally committing to focusing on it now. After doing the G2700 exam back in may, I was going to try and beat the September deadline. With heavy duty projects due between that time and the deadline I was cutting it too close. Besides, I decided to see if I had what it took to pass the newer exam. Better late than never. We all need the motivation, the focus, the concentration. You just put it out there, so be prepared to slam it home for the new year ya? Alright then, lets go!

Zxbane Welcome! Please feel free to be a part of this group! Hah after I finish the CCNA, I might have some questions for you in regards to the CISSP! A cert I hope to eventually get! Would definitely be cool for someone to shed some light on your question. I do think that the labs offered via lammle’s book and ones done in the UDEMY/CBT videos in addition to finding a few others online would be sufficient. I think that question could be hard to answer in a sense because of variation. There’s only so many you can do at this level. I found some labs that you and others could probably reference (and build in packet tracer if GNS3 is too complicated) and lammle has his own virtual simulator too.

GNS3 | Labs
    LammleSim | Simulation for Education!

ShyGuyIT, Thanks for the update, congrats on getting through the book! How do you intend to go about the lab portion of your studies? Maybe this will add support to the question zxbane has.

Hi Xyro!

As for me,
    Thought I would get a head start and got through a chapter today. Putting what I need to memorize on my whiteboard (ports, binary, terms etc). Copied the end of chapter questions to a word doc to print out (already printed out each chapter summary). Will try to really get through it next week. Got through 30 UDEMY vids (before posting this thread) but I'll probably go through it again to really try and retain.

Thanks everyone for stopping by! It's really motivating to see everyone coming through and sharing their experience.
    Agent, Just wanted to say thanks for the thorough response!
  • sixtytensixtyten Member Posts: 84 ■■□□□□□□□□
    count me in.. I passed the CCENT this past August and I'm working on the new ICND2 material. I plan on starting my studies again this Thursday.
    24 day's to go until my ICND2 exam. Finished EIGRP last night did some labing but will definitely do more after I finished reading the book. Hoping to be done with the book and CBT Nuggets by end of the week than I want go through Todd Lammle's book and also labs.

Today's task is reading chapter 12 "types of WAN's" and also watch CBT Nuggets video's on the same chapter and maybe start with frame relay....
    LinkedIn