Question about the CCDA

IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
I ended up marathoning the CCDA CBT Nuggets yesterday and I found that I pretty much knew most of the information between my experience in the field, the few CCNAs I've gotten in the past and the CCNP.

My question to anyone here who's done the CCDA after they completed the CCNP: Did you find that you needed that much prep time? After watching 15 videos last night and not really learning anything new, I'm seriously contemplating ditching the book and taking this test in a week or two.

Anyone able to give me any insight into if that seems plausible or realistic or was the CBT Nuggets video series way off?
BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
Blog: www.network-node.com

Comments

• SteveO86SteveO86 Member Posts: 1,423
    Might be plausible, although I think I'd take a quick run through the CCDA book before hand. I've used CBT Nuggets to prep for some exams but I never really found them real fulfilling. Which is kind of why I have shied away from CBT Nuggets over the years.

However this is the CCDA, I took an older version (640-863 I think it was) and it wasn't too bad, the topics were just all over the place (much like the CCNA was, maybe a little broader even since it talked over security/wireless/etc). It definitely wasn't one of the toughest exams I've sat for and if I am remembering right a lot of the CCDA questions were close to 'common sense' if you've already done CCNP and have been around the block. Not sure how much has changed with the new version though.
    My Networking blog
    Latest blog post: Let's review EIGRP Named Mode
    Currently Studying: CCNP: Wireless - IUWMS
  • IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
    Thanks, Steve. I tend to thing of the CBT Nuggets as more of a refresher anyways but in this case, it didn't touch ANYTHING I haven't already studied or dealt with in the real world. I think I'll just study the CCDA Simplified book since it's only about 300 pages or so and shoot for the test in the middle of the month.

I've heard that the CCDP ARCH exam is a bit more challenging and fun so I'm looking forward to that one
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
  • fluk3dfluk3d Member Posts: 141 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'm currently preparing for the CCDA set to write it in FEB2014, for the last two weeks i'I've been going through the OCG, and it has some great information in it but, really dry. I purchased the FLG and it's much more straight to the point. I'm doing some review with CCDA simplified bought the book on amazon (kindle) for 5$ so can't go wrong there.

The one thing I noticed with CBT nuggets it's very quick, and does not have all the details you would expect although if your targeting someone trying to break the ice with the certification I can see it's a good way to get your feet wet. I do have access to the INE 640-863 material and same trainer (Anthony S.) and I find the INE videos have a lot more detail, and interesting.
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge." - Albert Einstein
  • ScalesScales Member Posts: 95 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks, Steve. I tend to thing of the CBT Nuggets as more of a refresher anyways but in this case, it didn't touch ANYTHING I haven't already studied or dealt with in the real world. I think I'll just study the CCDA Simplified book since it's only about 300 pages or so and shoot for the test in the middle of the month.

I've heard that the CCDP ARCH exam is a bit more challenging and fun so I'm looking forward to that one

I passed the CCDA last week, its a very average exam. Knowing the technology does help a little. However, alot of the questions revolve around Enterprise Campus Architecture, PPDIOO model etc.
  • xirtlookxirtlook Member Posts: 124
    I've been studying for CCDA last 2 weeks. I take my exam on Friday.

not 100% through all the CBTNuggets yet, 2 more to go.

So far, with my side to side studying and practice questions I have...

Nuggets provide the high level understanding, no granularity like the book, study notes, or practice questions.

If you think you know it, do the practice questions in the book.

or take Anthony Sequeira advice (from CBTNuggets), grab the Exam Objectives and rate yourself on how well you know it. You might have weaknesses you want to work on before attempting the exam.
    nerd power.
  • aaron0011aaron0011 Member Posts: 330
    I studied and passed the CCDA in about 4 weeks. I read most of the OCG and watched the CBT Nuggets. A lot of it was knowledge I already had from previous certs and just work experience. I skipped certain topics like Voice and Wireless all together.

I would say you would have no problem passing this exam with only a few weeks study given the fact you have experience and been through CCNP & Associate Voice/Security. My advice would be to read the chapters on PPDIOO and the modules of a modern network (campus, DC, enterprise edge, remote access, etc.) just to get familiar the Cisco lingo that in used this track.

I expect ARCH to be more of a challenge and actually look forward to it the most out of the three exams remaining that I have to pass to earn my CCNP/CCDP.

Good luck if you go for it!
    I'm reading through the CCDA Simplified book now. I'm three chapters in and I'm getting about 95-100% on each chapter test. I'll probably blow through the rest of this book by the end of next week so I scheduled the test for the 18th. I might even move it up at this point if I finish the book earlier.

Wish me luck
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
  • JeanMJeanM Member Posts: 1,117
    Good luck, you won't need it ! :)
    2015 goals - ccna voice / vmware vcp.
  • SteveO86SteveO86 Member Posts: 1,423
    Good luck! I'm sure you will knock this out of the park!
    My Networking blog
    Latest blog post: Let's review EIGRP Named Mode
    Currently Studying: CCNP: Wireless - IUWMS
    Just finished my CCDA Simplified book. I can't vouch for the OCG but the Simplified series was excellent and pretty digestible. Between this and the review I got from the CBT Nuggets videos, I feel pretty comfortable taking the exam next week.

I am not sure if the ARCH exam will be as straightforward but here's to hoping that I pass that one in the next month
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
  • Heracles004Heracles004 Member Posts: 50 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I just finished my CCDP on the 9th. I took Arch in DEC, Route on Jan 2 and just finished with the CCDA on the 9th. (Out of order I know but I took Arch early, I figured if I learned everything according to best practice I would be better off for my NP) You are a fresh CCNP so most topics should be current in your mind, biggest things to look into are SANS, Server virtualization, VPNs, NEXUS, NAC, firewall, IPS and some E-Commerce. Make sure your familiar with Cisco's best practices on everything from STP to BGP and everything in between. The DESGN and ARCH are very similar just more in-depth and more specific for the ARCH. Go through the INE CCDP series if you can because Anthony does a great job and is very inclusive. I used that in DEC for my ARCH exam and only missed 1 question on my DESGN with no additional study a month later. If you have any specific questions hit me up. Also I have started down the Security track (IPS down) so if you want anyone to bounce info back and forth with I'll be around, firewall is up next.

Just finished my CCDA Simplified book. I can't vouch for the OCG but the Simplified series was excellent and pretty digestible. Between this and the review I got from the CBT Nuggets videos, I feel pretty comfortable taking the exam next week.

I am not sure if the ARCH exam will be as straightforward but here's to hoping that I pass that one in the next month

Did you take the CCDA test yet? How did you do?
    Just walked in the door from my test.

It was a pass.

I would say that the CCDA Simplified book and the CBT Nuggets series are NOT adequate alone to pass with a high school. I lucked up because I've been studying some datacenter technologies separately for CCNA/CCNP Data Center purposes so that squeaked me by.

This is it for me for at least a month. I've got to focus on learning ISE, finishing my capstone, etc so I won't be studying for any certifications until the end of February. I really need to focus on those things. I've got the CCDP Simplified guide that I'm reading here and there but I'm not being serious about it year. I hope I can really dig into it in March and maybe get the exam done by the end of the month.
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Just walked in the door from my test.

It was a pass.

I would say that the CCDA Simplified book and the CBT Nuggets series are NOT adequate alone to pass with a high school. I lucked up because I've been studying some datacenter technologies separately for CCNA/CCNP Data Center purposes so that squeaked me by.

This is it for me for at least a month. I've got to focus on learning ISE, finishing my capstone, etc so I won't be studying for any certifications until the end of February. I really need to focus on those things. I've got the CCDP Simplified guide that I'm reading here and there but I'm not being serious about it year. I hope I can really dig into it in March and maybe get the exam done by the end of the month.

Congrats!