Options

Red hat and INFOSEC

Venom35Venom35 Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
Greetings All,

I wanted to know if getting my RHCE would benefit be in the infosec (Offensive Security and Pen testing) world?

Thanks in Advance

Comments

• Options
    ExpectExpect Member Posts: 252 ■■■■□□□□□□
    definitely yes.
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    I consider security a "second-tier" topic in IT, something you work on after you've obtained a good level of proficiency in a "regular" field like server administration, network engineering, coding, etc. The more underlying knowledge you bring to your security-studies, the better off you'll be.

It's always good to have an area of focus, so if you have an interest in Linux then going the Red Hat path is a good idea. Build on the skills you learn in order to pass RHCSA and RHCE, and perhaps even go so far as to look at something like the RHCSS certification down the road.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    Venom35Venom35 Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Slowhand, thanks for the information. I really never thought of it like that. Thanks for the words of wisdom again.
  • Options
    antielvisantielvis Member Posts: 285 ■■■□□□□□□□
    To add to what Slowhand, security is "second tier" but I'm noticing it's becoming specialized. Security folks work on red teams where each member of the team has a strong point in a certain tech. Logically if you can't learn everything about IT nowadays, you certainly can't learn to secure/attack or defend it.