Options

SSCP study material

veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
From what I have seen the general consensus seems to be that Darril Gibson's SSCP book is far superior to the official ISC2 book. Am I right? Anyone who has recently taken the exam care to comment?

Comments

• Options
    MSP-ITMSP-IT Member Posts: 752 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'm scheduled to sit the exam on the 17th. So far I've gone through Darril's SSCP book, which was pretty good, and I'm following it up with Pluralsight's SSCP videos, which were produced earlier this year for Trainsignal by Tony Northrup. Tony does a great job and I highly recommend them.
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,028 Admin
    I recently taught an SSCP class using Darril's SSCP book as the primary text. I would not say that Darril's is superior to the OIG, but it is less-detailed, more uniform in style, and much easier to read than the OIG. I think Darril's SSCP book is written closer to the level of a typical SSCP candidate than the OIG is, and this is a significant factor in SSCP candidates finding it more appealing.
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    My last experience reading (more like skimming...) an ISC2 text was a few years back. I remember it reading like a report from the perspective of several individuals. It just didn't feel cohesive. I'll take a look at the SSCP book by Darril. Thanks JD.
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,028 Admin
    Yes, many book publications from the (ISC)2 have each chapter written by different people (myself included) and no editing is performed to homogenize the writing styles across all of the chapters. So what you get is more like a journal of technical articles rather than a book with diverse information presented in a uniform and cohesive style.