Options

security certification HELP

sajadhamidsajadhamid Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
hi all,

i am computer science post grad working as network administrator in a govt sector with very less work administration work.. literally i am working on the development front. i have one year experience as network administrator and combined experience of 4 years in development.
currently i am working as system and network administrator for a geo portal, but i want to quit from govt sector.

i want to start my career in information security, please suggest and help me which certification i opt for as there are lot of certifications offered by many organzations

your help will be appreciated..
thanking you all

Comments

• Options
    MSP-ITMSP-IT Member Posts: 752 ■■■□□□□□□□
    sajadhamid wrote: »
    hi all,

i am computer science post grad working as network administrator in a govt sector with very less work administration work.. literally i am working on the development front. i have one year experience as network administrator and combined experience of 4 years in development.
    currently i am working as system and network administrator for a geo portal, but i want to quit from govt sector.

i want to start my career in information security, please suggest and help me which certification i opt for as there are lot of certifications offered by many organzations

your help will be appreciated..
    thanking you all

I would nail down where you'd like to go in security. There are quite a few different security domains. I'd say with a development and a networking background, you'd be a viable candidate for something like Pen Testing. Certifications like SSCP, CEH, GPEN could be useful for getting into Pen Testing.
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,026 Admin
    WHen interested in Information Security, we usually suggest starting with the CompTIA Security+ certification. Security+ is a good cert to determine if you are interested in the topics of Information Security at all. Many people decide on a career in InfoSec, but when they start studying for the InfoSec cert exams they find the topics very uninteresting and boring. You gotta find out if InfoSec is really what you want to do with your time and your brain.