Is C# a pre requisite for 70-486 ?

aswebdevaswebdev Member Posts: 27 ■□□□□□□□□□
Just curious. I don't know anything about the exam. Is it just focused on ASP.NET's MVC feature or ASP.NET in general ? Also is this like a newer version of the 70-515 exam ?

My C# experience is nill, so should I attempt 70-483 first ?

Comments

• RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I would do the 483 first. Ultimately ASP.NET MVC is built on the foundation of ASP.NET so there are going to be some core topics that are important to both. But as far as what we usually think of ASP.net (controls, etc) it is strictly on ASP.NET MVC. This actually means that the exam is going to be pretty heavy on C# (or VB.NET is also an option, I think) since the C in MVC is about the controller and all that will be handled in a core .NET language. If you don't have C# experience I would make sure that you do a lot of practical work for this or you'll fail and fail hard. There should also be a lot of Open Source type projects that you can look at on CodePlex to make sure you know how code is being organized and written.

PluralSight has a *ton* of high quality courses that teach fundamentals to advanced topics that will be applicable to this exam.
  • aswebdevaswebdev Member Posts: 27 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I would do the 483 first. Ultimately ASP.NET MVC is built on the foundation of ASP.NET so there are going to be some core topics that are important to both. But as far as what we usually think of ASP.net (controls, etc) it is strictly on ASP.NET MVC. This actually means that the exam is going to be pretty heavy on C# (or VB.NET is also an option, I think) since the C in MVC is about the controller and all that will be handled in a core .NET language. If you don't have C# experience I would make sure that you do a lot of practical work for this or you'll fail and fail hard. There should also be a lot of Open Source type projects that you can look at on CodePlex to make sure you know how code is being organized and written.

PluralSight has a *ton* of high quality courses that teach fundamentals to advanced topics that will be applicable to this exam.

Thanks Robert, I was under the impression that 70-486 was similar to 70-515 exam.

Is MCSD : Web applications the right certification to pursue if I want to prove that I know ASP.NET ?

I will go for 70-483 anyway and I might take the MCSD : store apps route, the 3 for 1 deal is quite lucrative
  • aswebdevaswebdev Member Posts: 27 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Is it worth giving 70-515 now ? That exam seems more generic ASP.NET as oppose to 70-486 which is mostly about MVC.
  • RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I can't really comment on the value of the 515 exam. But the 486 is similar to it. Notice they are both very heavy on web services, etc. Either of these exams will have a very good deal of C# in them (or VB.NET). You simply cannot know ASP.NET or ASP.NET MVC without knowing a core .NET language like C# or VB.NET. I would say that the MVC exam would have more C# than the 515 because of things like Web API. But either way you need to know a core language for both.
  • jackvolterjackvolter Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I recommend 515 for the exam. Anyone using application software [FONT=&quot].NET, [/FONT]C# or VB.NET? I found zetexcel.com and using it that contains APIs to be used with .NET Framework, .NET Core & Xamarin platform, empowering you to build cross-platform applications having the ability to generate, modify, convert, render and print spreadsheets without using Microsoft Excel.