Passed Net+

LittleBITLittleBIT Member Posts: 320 ■■■■□□□□□□
Passed Net+, I didn't think much of it, my score was 769/1000. Meh, it's over and done with. I know it's not one of my strong points. The Simulations were actually kind of confusing for me, but they are over and done with. I used Kevin Wallaces CompTIA Network+ N10-005 Authorized Cert Guide, it's a decent read to be honest. I learned some new concepts. THe test itself was straightforward and covered pretty much everything. I studied for about 2 weeks, read cover to cover and took the exam, i recommend creating a study guide and jotting down stuff.
Kindly doing the needful

Comments

• FloOzFloOz Member Posts: 1,614 ■■■■□□□□□□
  • earonw49earonw49 Member Posts: 190 ■■■□□□□□□□
    icon_cheers.gificon_study.gif
    WGU B.S. IT - Progress: Feb 2015 - End Date Jan 2018
    WGU M.S Cyber Security & Assurance - Progress: March 2019 - End Date June 2019
  • DarrilDarril Member Posts: 1,588
  • ccnpninjaccnpninja Member Posts: 1,010 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • SixtyCycleSixtyCycle Member Posts: 111
    LittleBIT wrote: »
    Passed Net+, I didn't think much of it, my score was 769/1000. Meh, it's over and done with. I know it's not one of my strong points. The Simulations were actually kind of confusing for me, but they are over and done with. I used Kevin Wallaces CompTIA Network+ N10-005 Authorized Cert Guide, it's a decent read to be honest. I learned some new concepts. THe test itself was straightforward and covered pretty much everything. I studied for about 2 weeks, read cover to cover and took the exam, i recommend creating a study guide and jotting down stuff.

Congrats on the pass. Looking at your sig, it looks like your tests are only a month apart from each other. When you first took the A+, how much knowledge/exerience in IT did you have and how long did you study?
  • Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats on pass!! icon_thumright.gif

What's next?
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • LittleBITLittleBIT Member Posts: 320 ■■■■□□□□□□
    SixtyCycle wrote: »
    Congrats on the pass. Looking at your sig, it looks like your tests are only a month apart from each other. When you first took the A+, how much knowledge/exerience in IT did you have and how long did you study?

I had about 2 years at a Help Desk doing A - Z type stuff, everything and anything, so my knowledge was boosted in a short amount of time across all realms of IT. But before that, I was working building Servers and working at a PC/MAC repair shop for about 4 years. I owe a great amount of my success to TE and the resources provided and knowledge.

My next step is to put away the CompTIA's and start on my MCSA: Win 7 track, I hope to earn the 70-680 and 70-686 before the end of January.

Here's to never ending improvement!
    Kindly doing the needful
  • DAVIS NGUYENDAVIS NGUYEN Member Posts: 1,472 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats on the pass icon_thumright.gif
  • Corndork2Corndork2 Member Posts: 266
    Congrats!
    Brocade: BAIS, BACNS, BAEFS Cisco: CCENT, CCNA R&S CWNP: CWTS Juniper: JNCIA-JUNOS
    CompTIA: A+ (2009), Network+ (2009), A+ CE, Network+ CE, Security+ CE, CDIA+
    Mikrotik: MTCNA, MTCRE, MTCWE, MTCTCE VMware: VCA-DV Rackspace: CloudU
  • Swift6Swift6 Member Posts: 268 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats LittleBIT.
  • SharkDiverSharkDiver Member Posts: 844
    Congratulations!
  • LinguisticsLinguistics Member Posts: 29 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I had about 2 years at a Help Desk doing A - Z type stuff, everything and anything, so my knowledge was boosted in a short amount of time across all realms of IT. But before that, I was working building Servers and working at a PC/MAC repair shop for about 4 years. I owe a great amount of my success to TE and the resources provided and knowledge.

My next step is to put away the CompTIA's and start on my MCSA: Win 7 track, I hope to earn the 70-680 and 70-686 before the end of January.

Here's to never ending improvement!
    Would you say that your passing of the recent exams could be credited towards good research material and studying rather than your experience at the help desk or computer shop? And, if you had studied, say for 2 months, do you think you would have scored higher?
    Thanks in advance!
  • BadLuckIncBadLuckInc Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Would you say that your passing of the recent exams could be credited towards good research material and studying rather than your experience at the help desk or computer shop? And, if you had studied, say for 2 months, do you think you would have scored higher?
    Thanks in advance!

That's a very good question. I'd be curious to know this too.
  • LittleBITLittleBIT Member Posts: 320 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Thanks in advance!

Sorry for the late reply!

This is a very good question that actually has me thinking as I write this reply. I would say I absolutley credit my years as a Help Desk guy to all my current CompTIA certs. Only because as a helpdesk guy, I have dived into several area's. My A+ comes from just years of knowing the stuff, I did not read a book at all for the exam. Most of it, to me anyways, was common sense if you have years of experience. Although I don't think I'll ever deal with some of the stuff presented in the material, it's still not bad to know it.

My Server+ comes from my 2 years at helpdesk, I actually have done disaster recovery, data backups, and server troubleshooting. Server+ was pretty difficult to me because of lack of reading resources. I barely watched the CBT Nuggets video for it. I would say that you should watch the video's, and that there is overlap with the A+. Some items were what I deal with, but there was concepts that I've never dealt with, such as dealing with SCSI, NAS's and hardware configuration/RAID. I would say that I did read the concise study guide, as it was pretty much the only available resource.

Sec+ was something I have only dabbled in. I get the theory, the idea's behind it if that makes sense. I would credit my Sec+ with Darril Gibson's book though, as that was spot on for me anyways. However, at my current company, I have dived into encryption, best practices, and things of that nature. The other stuff is 'kind' of common sense if you've been a helpdesk technician for a while, such as HTTPS/HTTP, FTP, RDP and all that other stuff.

Network+ I would say is a mix of both. I understand DHCP, Cmd line tools (IPCONFIG, PING, NETSH, ETC), Routers, Switches, Hubs, Cable categories and speeds. But I didnt understand wire topologies or architectures such as STP or some of the more devious protocols in Net+. The Book I used covered pretty much everything I needed to pass (not get a terrific score) but pass, the rest I believe can be learned.

ITIL (And I am now studying MoF) is all from my pursuit to do PMP/CaPM. I underrstand process and all that jazz, so it was pretty easy in my opinion. I didnt even read Liz's book for the exam, I read it afterwards (Too dry IMO, but its a good read).

NOW

With all that said....

I just passed my Windows 70-680 exam. I failed twice. First time, I skimmed Don Poulton's book, and breezed through CBT Nuggets. I felt like I knew it all from my years working with Win7. Suprise suprise I failed, I didnt study as I should have, or put in the effort. Second time, I failed was because I schedule the exam 1 week out, I felt like I could pass it no problem since I knew how the exam was. Guess again, I failed. Only after the 3rd time, reading the MS Press Book start to finish, and lurking technet, was I able to pass...

CompTIA's in my opinion aren't difficult. They cover a wide variety of technologies, but most of them are 'read a book and pass' since all they are looking for, is that you GRASP the concepts of what your pursuing, not mastering them...

In any case, I would say this... Study, study, study. Do not sell yourself short by 'skimming' a book and spending $250 on an exam only to fail. I've learned a lot working at the helpdesk, but there are huge voids in my knowledge that I had to fill with reading a book or two, and by reading a book, and grasping the concepts, I have only filled those voids. You will be doing yourself a service by understanding whats going on vs. passing an exam, landing an interview, and not knowing what DHCP/DNS is. (True story)

I hope this helps
    Kindly doing the needful
  • libby_vclibby_vc Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congrats! I'll be taking this exam soon and hope to pass too!
  • Paulieb81Paulieb81 Member Posts: 56 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Sorry for the late reply!

This is a very good question that actually has me thinking as I write this reply. I would say I absolutley credit my years as a Help Desk guy to all my current CompTIA certs. Only because as a helpdesk guy, I have dived into several area's. My A+ comes from just years of knowing the stuff, I did not read a book at all for the exam. Most of it, to me anyways, was common sense if you have years of experience. Although I don't think I'll ever deal with some of the stuff presented in the material, it's still not bad to know it.

My Server+ comes from my 2 years at helpdesk, I actually have done disaster recovery, data backups, and server troubleshooting. Server+ was pretty difficult to me because of lack of reading resources. I barely watched the CBT Nuggets video for it. I would say that you should watch the video's, and that there is overlap with the A+. Some items were what I deal with, but there was concepts that I've never dealt with, such as dealing with SCSI, NAS's and hardware configuration/RAID. I would say that I did read the concise study guide, as it was pretty much the only available resource.

Sec+ was something I have only dabbled in. I get the theory, the idea's behind it if that makes sense. I would credit my Sec+ with Darril Gibson's book though, as that was spot on for me anyways. However, at my current company, I have dived into encryption, best practices, and things of that nature. The other stuff is 'kind' of common sense if you've been a helpdesk technician for a while, such as HTTPS/HTTP, FTP, RDP and all that other stuff.

Network+ I would say is a mix of both. I understand DHCP, Cmd line tools (IPCONFIG, PING, NETSH, ETC), Routers, Switches, Hubs, Cable categories and speeds. But I didnt understand wire topologies or architectures such as STP or some of the more devious protocols in Net+. The Book I used covered pretty much everything I needed to pass (not get a terrific score) but pass, the rest I believe can be learned.

ITIL (And I am now studying MoF) is all from my pursuit to do PMP/CaPM. I underrstand process and all that jazz, so it was pretty easy in my opinion. I didnt even read Liz's book for the exam, I read it afterwards (Too dry IMO, but its a good read).

NOW

With all that said....

I just passed my Windows 70-680 exam. I failed twice. First time, I skimmed Don Poulton's book, and breezed through CBT Nuggets. I felt like I knew it all from my years working with Win7. Suprise suprise I failed, I didnt study as I should have, or put in the effort. Second time, I failed was because I schedule the exam 1 week out, I felt like I could pass it no problem since I knew how the exam was. Guess again, I failed. Only after the 3rd time, reading the MS Press Book start to finish, and lurking technet, was I able to pass...

CompTIA's in my opinion aren't difficult. They cover a wide variety of technologies, but most of them are 'read a book and pass' since all they are looking for, is that you GRASP the concepts of what your pursuing, not mastering them...

In any case, I would say this... Study, study, study. Do not sell yourself short by 'skimming' a book and spending $250 on an exam only to fail. I've learned a lot working at the helpdesk, but there are huge voids in my knowledge that I had to fill with reading a book or two, and by reading a book, and grasping the concepts, I have only filled those voids. You will be doing yourself a service by understanding whats going on vs. passing an exam, landing an interview, and not knowing what DHCP/DNS is. (True story)

I hope this helps

That is some fantastic solid information. Well put and congrats on the hard work and studying. You are very motivating for me to push through and not slow down. I am very well experienced as in 14 years of level 1 / help desk / on-site experience but only have an A+ to show for it. Time for me to get a quick move on getting some more advanced certs to prove my knowledge. Just looking at your signature makes me want to get back to studying instead of reading this forum!
    Going back to school to finish my B.S.
    Goals for 2017: Security+, CCNA = NOT DONE YET
    Goals for 2018: VCP6, PMI CAPM, ITIL, Six Sigma
    ... and when there is time: MCSE, CCNA Security