JNCIA = Passed

MrBrianMrBrian Member Posts: 520
Just wanted to stop in and say I passed my JNCIA right before the new year. I just followed their Fast Track Program on their site which was basically going through the two PDF's (I didn't need to watch the 5 hr networking fundamentals part). I also spun on some gns3 juniper routers and that helped me practice the syntax.

Exams all multiple choice.. I'd say much much easier than CCNA for anyone curious..
Currently reading: Internet Routing Architectures by Halabi

Comments

• networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Congrats!
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • FloOzFloOz Member Posts: 1,614 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats on the pass!!!
  • Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Congrads!

What guide did you follow to setup Juniper in GNS3. I tried that a couple years ago with no luck. I could get to a prompt but nothing seemed to work right.
    -Daniel
  • shyguyITshyguyIT Member Posts: 380
    Congrats! icon_thumright.gif
    2017 Goals:
    Route[X], Switch [], TSHOOT[]
  • MrBrianMrBrian Member Posts: 520
    Thanks guys

Daniel333 wrote: »
    What guide did you follow to setup Juniper in GNS3. I tried that a couple years ago with no luck. I could get to a prompt but nothing seemed to work right.

The hardest part may be acquiring a Juniper image file, depending on what access you have to use them..

After that it's easy. What I did was download the GNS3 all-in-one app, which comes with Qemu software (which is needed to run JunOS I guess).. and you'll also need a real Juniper image file..

.. then open GNS3 and Edit > preferences > Qemu > JunOS.. and navigate to the Juniper image file on your hard drive. For the rest of the settings I just gave mine 256 Mb of RAM, and named it Junos1. Then on that same page click Save.

Now from main screen when you click 'Browse all devices' button you'll see a Juniper router as a device you can drag out onto the screen. You'll have to attach the link to connect any routers you drag on-screen before you start them up, the software doesn't allow you to 'hot-swap' them in once they're already on. Here's some good practice labs for the Jncia from GNS3's site:

Labs - GNS3
  • AldurAldur Member Posts: 1,460
    congrats on the pass!

And I would agree with you that the JNCIA-JUNOS is easier than the CCNA. From my understanding the JNCIS exams are more on part with the CCNA.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on using GNS3. Seems like you got it working simple enough.

What's your next move as far as certification goes?
    "Bribe is such an ugly word. I prefer extortion. The X makes it sound cool."

-Bender
  • snadamsnadam Member Posts: 2,234 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats and thanks for the advice. I'm aiming towards end of the month for this one.
    **** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

:study: Current 2015 Goals: JNCIP-SEC JNCIS-ENT CCNA-Security
    Aldur wrote: »
    congrats on the pass!

And I would agree with you that the JNCIA-JUNOS is easier than the CCNA. From my understanding the JNCIS exams are more on part with the CCNA.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on using GNS3. Seems like you got it working simple enough.

What's your next move as far as certification goes?

Thanks! Well certification wise I'm not sure yet, but my current area of study is primarily BGP. I also want to learn some Perl scripting soon.. I'd also like to learn Juniper more in-depth, get stronger with Linux, learn mpls, etc..

There's just too many things I'd like to learn and work takes up so much of my time, haha. Although I do learn plenty through work, so that's cool. But yea, mainly BGP right now, one thing at a time..
  • billscott92787billscott92787 Member Posts: 933
    Congrats on the pass. How long would you say that you studied?
    Not long at all. If you already have networking fundamentals down and are familiar with cisco's, then you just need to read the two PDF's from their free Fast Track program and then do some labs in gns3..

I prolly studied 3-4 weeks and then took it.

Only took me two days to read the pdf's.. then the rest of the time just labbing and reviewing the pdf's.