Microsoft offering FREE exam voucher for Exam 74-409: Server Virtualization w/ HyperV

SolitonSoliton Member Posts: 49 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hey everyone,

I came across this on Slickdeals. Microsoft is offering free training and exam vouchers for the 74-409 Exam which covers Server Virtualization with Hyper-V and System Center. Seems to be a pretty easy cert to get, so go for it. Space is limited, so register ASAP. The site says that you must register by June 2014, however they mention that the vouchers are limited, and to schedule your exam right away. I am going to schedule my test right away for a month or so in advance to lock in mine.

Here's the link:

Microsoft Hyper-V | Take Your Virtualization Skills to the Next Level
~ A+ - Passed ~ CCNA - In Progress
Your Recommended daily dose of security and privacy -> My Blog

Comments

• LeifAlireLeifAlire Member Posts: 106
    I registered for JAN 25th test date, anyone take the test yet? Difficulty level? Any study material/site recommendations?
    2015 Goals: VCP-550 - CISA - 70-417
  • SolitonSoliton Member Posts: 49 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I just registered for the 28th. I haven't seen much of the materials since I'm currently at work, but it seems pretty easy and straightforward. This one is really nice because you actually become a MCP once you receive it, so I'm motivated to knock it out fast.
  • EngRobEngRob Member Posts: 247 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Great find!

I signed up for Jan 30th just to reserve the voucher. Maybe i'll reschedule and knock it out at the end of the month depending on the content.

Thanks for sharing!
  • shezy77shezy77 Member Posts: 160
    great share.. icon_thumright.gif
    2013: ICND1 [Passed] ... ICND2 [Passed] ... VCA-DCV [Passed] ... 70-410 [Passed] ... 70-411 [Passed] ... VCA-Cloud [Passed] ... VCA-WM [Passed] ... 70-412 [Passed]

2014: 74-409 [Passed] ... VCP5 [Passed]
    Current working on: VCAP5-DCA
  • SolitonSoliton Member Posts: 49 ■■□□□□□□□□
    No problem guys, happy to share. Enjoy and good luck!
  • --chris----chris-- Member Posts: 1,518 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Soliton wrote: »
    Hey everyone,

I came across this on Slickdeals. Microsoft is offering free training and exam vouchers for the 74-409 Exam which covers Server Virtualization with Hyper-V and System Center. Seems to be a pretty easy cert to get, so go for it. Space is limited, so register ASAP. The site says that you must register by June 2014, however they mention that the vouchers are limited, and to schedule your exam right away. I am going to schedule my test right away for a month or so in advance to lock in mine.

Here's the link:

Microsoft Hyper-V | Take Your Virtualization Skills to the Next Level

Ill keep trying to register, but I get a long error with a report...maybe they are overloaded.

A question though, are they setting up a Hyper-v MCSA track? Where does this MCTS fit within the MCSA/E scheme?

edit: And thanks!
  • googolgoogol Member Posts: 107
    It is just the same thing they had for Server 2008R2, for 2012 now. They did not have a MCSA for it before and I think the same will occur for this one unless a huge demand comes up for more advanced training on it..which could very much happen with the rapid adoption of Hyper-V for virtualization.

I did this same thing for 2008R2, helped me get some virtualization experience, built up a Hyper-V environment for a SME and now I am working in a VMware environment at a different job. Who knows, might try out some Server 2012 or wait for Hyper-V v4 ish..
  • KonfliktKonflikt Member Posts: 43 ■■■□□□□□□□
    has somebody already tried that exam?
    for 2013: [x] 3x VCA, [x] VCAP5-DCA, [-] VCAP-DCD - failed. PASSED in 2014
    for 2014: [x] BACP, [x] SCP, [x] 70-409, [x] VCAP-DCD
    for 2015: [x] VCP6-DCV,
    for 2016: [x] upgrade VCAPs to VCIX6-DCV, [x] CCNA [-]
    2019: NEW job, back to again to the datacenter area:)
    My Virtual blog: vthing.wordpress.com
  • dagwood1990dagwood1990 Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I took the exam today with the free voucher. I probably spent around 10-15 hours studying and passed with an 828 on this exam. I think the exam is fairly easy as most of my experience is with VMware. I do not do many Microsoft exams so I am not sure if this is typical.
  • joemysteriojoemysterio Member Posts: 152
    cool, thanks, I set an exam for early February... hopefully its not too hard for someone who lacks complete knowledge of virtualization like me.
    Current goals: CCNA/CCNP
  • Kevster1188Kevster1188 Member Posts: 18 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Hi All,

I knew about this free exam while ago and watched the live jumpstart on MVA. Does anyone know if studying the jumpstart will be enough to pass or if anyone knows of further exam prep materials?

Cheers
  • ande0255ande0255 Banned Posts: 1,178
    I scheduled an exam at Pearson Vue, the same place I'm taking my CCNA Voice exam. Not only does it not show it in my schedule, but it doesn't even show microsoft as a testing platform at this exam center that was listed (and scheduled) for me to sit this exam.

Anyone else run into this?
  • ratbuddyratbuddy Member Posts: 665
    I thought Microsoft only offered tests (other than MTAs which go through Certiport, a division of Pearson Vue) through Prometric sites. Did you schedule over the phone? Maybe the site offers Prometric and just didn't mention it.
  • JeanMJeanM Member Posts: 1,117
    ratbuddy wrote: »
    I thought Microsoft only offered tests (other than MTAs which go through Certiport, a division of Pearson Vue) through Prometric sites. Did you schedule over the phone? Maybe the site offers Prometric and just didn't mention it.

Had no issues, scheduled it online and got an email confirmation from emailconfirmations@prometric.com

Did you complete the whole process to get the voucher code and then scheduled the exam?
    2015 goals - ccna voice / vmware vcp.
    I actually took a screenshot of the confirmation page, as I didn't get a confirmation email, which seemed weird as I didget one for registering to pro-metric.
  • knownheroknownhero Member Posts: 450
    I've got no dates available to me at the moment at my test centre icon_sad.gif

School term starts tomorrow so hopefully get one then.
    70-410 [x] 70-411 [x] 70-462[x] 70-331[x] 70-332[x]
    MCSE - SharePoint 2013 :thumbup:

Road map 2017: JavaScript and modern web development

Anyone tried this cert yet? It say's on the confirmation that the exam duration is 3 hours 15 minutes, and that seems a bit absurd.
  • Asif DaslAsif Dasl Member Posts: 2,116 ■■■■■■■■□□
    ande0255 wrote: »
    Anyone tried this cert yet? It say's on the confirmation that the exam duration is 3 hours 15 minutes, and that seems a bit absurd.
    I'm pretty sure that time includes the 30 minute pre-exam survey which takes less than 5 minutes to do... I'd expect it to be 2h 45m, maybe even a little bit less.
  • tprice5tprice5 Member Posts: 770
    Certification To-Do: CEH [ ], CHFI [ ], NCSA [ ], E10-001 [ ], 70-413 [ ], 70-414 [ ]
    WGU MSISA
    Start Date: 10/01/2014 | Complete Date: ASAP
    All Courses: LOT2, LYT2 , UVC2, ORA1, VUT2, VLT2 , FNV2 , TFT2 , JIT2 , FMV2, FXT2 , LQT2
    I took the exam before New Years....Thirty minutes of time for the survey and 2:45 for the exam. I think I spent around an hour on the actual exam so they give way more time than needed.
  • eansdadeansdad Member Posts: 775 ■■■■□□□□□□
    How many questions? Standard M$ 50-65?
    Yeah....I think there was somewhere around 60 questions if I remember right.
    is the virtual academy videos enough to pass this exam?
    I am hoping prometric allows pushing out exam dates, as I'm not realistically even going to be able to sudy for this til sometime in March, but when I registered it had all days beyond Feb 28th greyed out.

Hyper V isn't rampant yet that I know of, but understanding virtualization in any capacity is a huge leg up in all higher level IT fields.
  • NotHackingYouNotHackingYou Member Posts: 1,460 ■■■■■■■■□□
    is the virtual academy videos enough to pass this exam?

X2 would like to know this
    When you go the extra mile, there's no traffic.
  • knownheroknownhero Member Posts: 450
    CarlSaiyed wrote: »
    X2 would like to know this

They do state in the first video that these videos are meant to help pass the exam. Seeing as its a free test I'm going to just watch the videos and see how it goes. I have SOME idea of how it works and setting up virtual machines, but there is a fair bit under it that I have no clue about.

So i'll watch the videos about 2-3 times and see how that goes. If you've not watched them, they are quite good.
    70-410 [x] 70-411 [x] 70-462[x] 70-331[x] 70-332[x]
    MCSE - SharePoint 2013 :thumbup:

Road map 2017: JavaScript and modern web development

Hopefully it's true then, the furthest date I was able to get from any location was Feb 6th. If I pass, fantastic... if not, oh well, at least I tried.
  • samboypasagsamboypasag Member Posts: 8 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Just passed the 74-409 today, its kind of hard but the free training that their offering at the MVA is really good.
  • Judderman88Judderman88 Member Posts: 56 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Samboy, are you experienced with virtualisation? Any tips you can offer (without NDA violation)? Thanks