CISM vs PMP

Sonu7007Sonu7007 Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
I am trying to decide if I should take CISM or PMP. For those that have any suggestions on which to take I will really appreciate it. Thank you

Comments

• Corndork2Corndork2 Member Posts: 266
    What field are you in? Are you looking for security only work or project management work of any kind?

CISM will keep you in Infosec. That is what that cert is for.

PMP is an industry recognized cert for all kinds of project management. I have seen PMP's in all departments from operations, to financial markets regarding projects for new product launches, retail, construction, and of course Information Tech. The PMP is meant to be a universal cert for project managers of all kinds. Also, PMP requires siginificant project management experience and sponsorship. Is this something you have? Does CISM require the same? (I thought CISM was 5 years? But I am not sure)

So the real question driving your decision should be -- What are my end goals? What do I plan on using these certifications for?
    Brocade: BAIS, BACNS, BAEFS Cisco: CCENT, CCNA R&S CWNP: CWTS Juniper: JNCIA-JUNOS
    CompTIA: A+ (2009), Network+ (2009), A+ CE, Network+ CE, Security+ CE, CDIA+
    Mikrotik: MTCNA, MTCRE, MTCWE, MTCTCE VMware: VCA-DV Rackspace: CloudU
  • RaystafarianRaystafarian Member Posts: 87 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Do you qualify for both certs right now with your current experience?
    Hit me up on LinkedIn - just mention you're from techexams.
  • Sonu7007Sonu7007 Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Corndork2 wrote: »
    What field are you in? Are you looking for security only work or project management work of any kind?

CISM will keep you in Infosec. That is what that cert is for.

PMP is an industry recognized cert for all kinds of project management. I have seen PMP's in all departments from operations, to financial markets regarding projects for new product launches, retail, construction, and of course Information Tech. The PMP is meant to be a universal cert for project managers of all kinds. Also, PMP requires siginificant project management experience and sponsorship. Is this something you have? Does CISM require the same? (I thought CISM was 5 years? But I am not sure)

So the real question driving your decision should be -- What are my end goals? What do I plan on using these certifications for?

@Corndork2
    i am interested in PMP which is my long term goal and I just took my CISA but I am trying to get two birds with one stone. So I am needing to know since they r both management position if I need to take one or the other or even both. I am in the IT field and have been for 10yrs now but will love to manage projects as my long term goal in construction/oil field.

Thank you
    Do you qualify for both certs right now with your current experience?

@Raystafarian

not with my current experience and how do I go about obtaining that. Thank you
  • okpokp Member Posts: 17 ■□□□□□□□□□
    suggest you to go for PMP. CISM is quite straightforward and maybe for you a short term objective.
    Thanks Okp. I will review the requirements for PMP.