Options

Need Help with Exchange Assessment

wakewake Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hey guys I have been interviewing for a new system admin position that will put me at a position dealing with more advanced technology (currently at a help desk/junior system admin role) and one of the requirements is to know Microsoft Exchange. I haven't used it before in the working world yet as my current firm uses Google Apps to handle our email accounts. Well I have gotten passed all of the basic HR personal interviews and now I will be required to take an Exchange Assessment to test my knowledge. I've told them that I only have experience watching training videos and they said it was ok. I will have about a day to complete the test and they didn't care if I used google or other resources to help me out as long as I complete it correctly.

My question is do you know of any good resources to learn Exchange on a short period of time? Is there a way that I could set up a windows virtual server and install Exchange on their to play around with it? Even if it has a trial period.

Comments

• Options
    jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Exchange is a beast which you cannot tackle in a heartbeat to be honest.
    one of the requirements is to know Microsoft Exchange. I haven't used it before in the working world yet as my current firm uses Google Apps to handle our email accounts.

If it's an actual requirement then I am not sure why they are ok with you saying it is enough to just know it from training videos. Having said that - "To know Exchange" is as vague as it can get. Without seeing the job spec I am not sure what to suggest. The job spec should show what is required from you. Will you be responsible for creating mailboxes? Migrate ? Install? Troubleshoot?

For example, knowing Exchange doesn't necessarily mean you know anything about email :) Some people are great in installing Exchange but know nuff all to troubleshoot routing issues.

What does the job spec say ? I am sure once we know more, we might be able to help ...
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • Options
    Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    jibbajabba wrote: »

If it's an actual requirement then I am not sure why they are ok with you saying it is enough to just know it from training videos.

This seems like the classic Catch-22 of job hunting. Many people say if you aren't upgrading your job / title you must be stagnant and aren't worth looking it. But, if you are looking to interview at a company in a role higher than what you currently have, working with tech that would be new that you could grow into then that is bad too.
  • Options
    lsud00dlsud00d Member Posts: 1,571
    Off the top of my head I would suggest getting familiar with the following, which should help you talk the basics in Exchange:
    DAG
    CAS Array
    Mailbox Database
    HUB Transport
    Client Access
    Send/Receive Connectors
    OWA
    IMAP/POP
    Mailbox
    Distribution Group
    Mail Contact/Mail-enabled user
    Exchange Toolbox
    Exchange Certificates
  • Options
    wakewake Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    jibbajabba wrote: »
    Exchange is a beast which you cannot tackle in a heartbeat to be honest.

If it's an actual requirement then I am not sure why they are ok with you saying it is enough to just know it from training videos. Having said that - "To know Exchange" is as vague as it can get. Without seeing the job spec I am not sure what to suggest. The job spec should show what is required from you. Will you be responsible for creating mailboxes? Migrate ? Install? Troubleshoot?

For example, knowing Exchange doesn't necessarily mean you know anything about email :) Some people are great in installing Exchange but know nuff all to troubleshoot routing issues.

What does the job spec say ? I am sure once we know more, we might be able to help ...

Well the requirement is as stated, "Knowledge of email and messaging systems: Microsoft Exchange and Outlook preferred" so I'm guessing they just want someone familiar with it. The HR person I had the first phone interview with said they would train me on it too since it's an entry level position (I'm a newly graduate too).
  • Options
    dbrinkdbrink Member Posts: 180
    Your best bet is to just start going through Technet. Exchange Server 2010: Exchange 2010 Help
    Currently Reading: Learn Python The Hard Way
    http://defendyoursystems.blogspot.com/