Options

Thanks ITIL!

--chris----chris-- Member Posts: 1,518 ■■■■■□□□□□
I am sitting for the ITIL Foundations exam tomorrow, but have it listed on my resume as "Self Study" and "Expected completion: January 2014". I just finished a phone interview to a job I applied to last Friday for a "Support Analyst" position and the interviewer mentioned they follow ITIL processes and that little snippet on my resume bumped me to the top of the interview pile!

Ill see where it goes from here, but ITIL got me bumped to the top of the stack today!

I thought I would post this as motivation, as I see others (like me) fighting the difficulties of getting an entry level job. Learn! Certify! Apply! Never give up!

Comments

• Options
    JustFredJustFred Member Posts: 678 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thanks for sharing and good luck with the next interview.

ITIL is on the list of certs i need to get this year. I'm hoping to do the exam at the end of February or Early March.
    [h=2]"After a time, you may find that having is not so pleasing a thing, after all, as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true." Spock[/h]
  • Options
    ajs1976ajs1976 Member Posts: 1,945 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Thanks for the info. I don't need it for my current position, but it is something i'm watching.
    Andy

2020 Goals: 0 of 2 courses complete, 0 of 2 exams complete
  • Options
    I made it a priority because I had seen a few times over that it was a good key word to have on your resume, and to be honest I needed all the help I could get. I'm not quite there (sitting tomorrow) but aside from the key word, I have learned a lot about delivering service and doing it in a structured professional manner. I can see why ITIL is a strong attribute for an organization to posses.
  • Options
    BlackoutBlackout Member Posts: 512 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I got mine last year because I started seeing it for the defense contracting job requirements. Pretty easy exam, but the information is awesome, and my knowledge of ITIL and Lean Six Sigma, helped me when I had to do an interview with the boss.
    Current Certification Path: CCNA, CCNP Security, CCDA, CCIE Security

"Practice doesn't make perfect. Perfect practice makes perfect"

Vincent Thomas "Vince" Lombardi
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    It all depends on what the job requirements are asking for. This could be a lot of certifications, but your point is taken well. Don't give up and certify in areas that will get you noticed.
  • Options
    Passed :) Over did it like usual, 38/40...but I am cheap, the thought of blowing $226.50 is a motivator.
  • Options
    juicyjay36juicyjay36 Member Posts: 43 ■■■□□□□□□□
    What did you use to study for this? Congrats!
  • Options
    I used these books:
    ITIL Foundation Exam Study Guide: Liz Gallacher, Helen Morris: 9781119942757: Amazon.com: Books
    Foundations of IT Service Management with ITIL 2011: ITIL Foundations Course in a Book: Brady Orand, Julie Villarreal: 9781466231320: Amazon.com: Books

I made flash cards of all the "terms" listed in the end of chapter reviews from each book. The second book has a running narrative that helps to introduce the ITIL processes and it really helped me figure things out. The first book is much more matter of fact, no narrative and straight to the point.

If you have worked somewhere that implements ITIL processes, the first would be my choice. If you have never heard of it besides the exam name on here, the second book is the go to. The Sybex book however does include four practice exams that were honestly more difficult than the exam I just took.

The key is what each process is, what its supposed to do and what its input/output is. If you can do that, than most of the questions on the exam are along the lines of "one of these things is not like the other..." If you can pick up the terminology (Processes, Functions, VBF, KPI, CSF, Roles, Supervisor, Owner, Customer, etc...) than its a cake walk.