Who is studying CCNA Security

greenland888greenland888 Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
I passed CCNA security exam. I am not working in network field. My job requires Linux/Unix and security background. A member in our network team said that there is less than 1% CCNA security candidates who is currently doing network job. I think the percentage is much higher.

I wonder how many people in this forum are working in network field?

Comments

• QuickybillyQuickybilly Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hello greenland888,

I just passed my CCNA and I'm working on my CCNA Sec now. I do work in the network field and in the security field as I work with Routers, Switches, ASAs and WSAs.

So I might be within that 1% or I might be giving you the reason that we're more than just 1% (although I do not have the cert yet).
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I'm currently working on the CCNA:Security right now. I don't currently work in networking.
  • t5yll4t5yll4 Member Posts: 54 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Recently got my CCNA R&S. Currently studying for CCNA Security. Currenlty working as a NOC Engineer but currently seeking to move to a Net Eng position.

Work w/ Routers, Switches, ASA/Pix on a daily basis.
    2015 Certification Goals:
    [ ] JNCDA (August), [ ] JNCIA-Junos (September), [ ] CCDA (pending), [ ] CCNP RS (tentative November)

"Duty then is the sublimest word in the English language. You should do your duty in all things. You can never do more, you should never wish to do less."
    - Robert E. Lee
  • CyanicCyanic Member Posts: 289
    I just moved from a network engineer to IT security engineer. So not a network position for me.

This cert is more of a personal goal for me. My employer could care less about it.
  • TybTyb Member Posts: 207 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Just passed CCNA R&S, studying up on CCNA Sec now. I would like to have it or be well into it and already know the material before going to WGU for their Security program.
    WGU BS:IT Security (March 2015)
    WGU MS:ISA (February 2016 )
  • ZomboidicusZomboidicus Member Posts: 105 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I passed CCNA 640-816 the very last day it was valid for me to take, which was 9/30 of this year lol. I'm studying for CCNA sec now and planning on taking it around the end of November. I currently work as SysAd assistant but I want to move onto a network engineering job ASAP, then onto security engineering job in couple of years.

I think CCNA Security will help me towards getting those types of jobs...hopefully, at least.
    2016 Certification Goals: Who knows :D
  • CCNA SecurityCCNA Security Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I've started my own business doing work for the average home owner, small business owners and some fairly big named companies, lets just say I can pay my bills. Its almost easier to do this for a while so you get some experience because my experience is that no one wants to hire you because you don't have enough experience. Here is a good way to get work in your area. Go to workmarket.com build yourself a profile upload your resume buy a few tools and take the tests, you can usually get super cheap tools on Ebay without compromising quality too much. I bough most of my tools from somewhere in Shenghai China, but be careful when buying and compare price and quality I think I paid about 75.00 for most of the stuff I needed, you will want to buy a 1000ft roll of cat5e though (about 40 bucks give or take depending on your patience). Eventually you will start getting calls and emails asking you to work. Don't let these guys screw you though. Don't take anything less that 60 per hour and a buck a mile give or take for your mileage. Also, tell them you are willing to negotiate if it sounds like they don't want to pay what you are asking, lots of times the difference is a matter of 25 to 50 bucks for the day/job. If you have any questions email me. I'm always willing to help out. I work some weird hours so I may not get back to you right away the same day but I will get back to you. They like flat rates so if you can quote them a flat rate that's best but know the job before you do that. You can really get nailed by quoting flat rates if you don't know what you are doing. My suggestion is to just quote them an hourly rate until you have done a similar job then go flat rate plus tax.
  • theodoxatheodoxa Member Posts: 1,340 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I was originally planning on getting my CCNP [and CCNA: Voice] next. But, when I started my current job, I began to think that CCNA: Security might be a better next cert (I still plan to get my CCNP, though). We see alot of ASA Firewalls.
    R&S: CCENT CCNA CCNP CCIE [ ]
    Security: CCNA [ ]
    Virtualization: VCA-DCV [ ]
  • SephStormSephStorm Member Posts: 1,731 ■■■■■■■□□□
    CCENT, working towards CCNA Sec, unfortunately i'm also doing college... so...
    Working as a sys admin, but I just got an offer for a security position.
  • mortremortre Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I work in the networking field and am studying currently. I don't really need the cert, but I do have to keep Security+ (DoD 8570 requirement) and CCNA Security gives me all the CE's I need to renew. Besides, I figure I should get off my rear end and start getting the certs to back up my experience icon_redface.gif
  • ande0255ande0255 Banned Posts: 1,178
    I will be studying this after I nail the CCNA Voice, as I am currently in a network intensive role for both voice and Data, and the Firewall / ACL / NAT portions of the CCNP Security are such vital skills when working with VPN's.

I'd like to get back to finish off the CCNP R:S first before moving on to the other Professional level certs, currently only holding the R:S.
  • JustFredJustFred Member Posts: 678 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I wanted to start with my CCNP R&S, but the current job has me doing a lot with a Fortinet firewall and i figured i may as well delay the NP and get the Security cert first. hopefully around early March, i will attempt to take the exam.
    [h=2]"After a time, you may find that having is not so pleasing a thing, after all, as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true." Spock[/h]
  • scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    I used to be heavy in the networking aspect..in the past few years I have gravitated towards Programming and databases. In the position I am in now, it was required that I take the security + cert.
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    I used to be heavy in the networking aspect..in the past few years I have gravitated towards Programming and databases. In the position I am in now, it was required that I take the security + cert.
    Never let your fear decide your fate....