Options

Aggravating

DetroitPierogiDetroitPierogi Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
I'm taking the test at the end of next week.

Preparing for it has been frustrating at times.
I have used:
1. Meyers book - read front to back twice.
2. Exam Cram book - read front to back 1.5 times.
3. CBT Nuggets - watched all of them and took gobs of notes.
4. Professor Messer - watched all of them and took plenty of notes.
5. Darril's Kindle book full of practice questions.

I also have Meyers' total tester, the exams in the Exam Cram book.

I am new to this, but I have put in my time. A lot of it.

Whenever I try new practice tests / questions, what I find is this: They manage to ask all about some arcane things that I managed to miss. I have been getting about 85% or so on most practice tests, but I'm not getting any better. Or so it seems.

Every time I look at new practice questions, I end up thinking, "Where did that come from ?". And "Hey look ! More acronyms I have never heard of." (That's not really what I think, but there may be kids reading this)

And then there's the inconsistencies / goofs in the material.
Examples:
Meyers book: "You don't need to know the specifics of T568A/T568B." Then a guy on here posts that he read that same thing, but then got two questions on it when he took the test.
Meyers book: CARP = Caching Array Routing Protocol. CompTIA objectives: CARP = Common Address Redundancy Protocol.
Both books: "The CompTIA objectives refer to xxxx. There is no such thing. What they really mean is yyyy."

I'm a pretty sharp guy. And I fully expect to be blindsided next week when I take the test.

Comments

• Options
    XyroXyro Member Posts: 623
    You are achieving 85% on the practice exams. I would expect that you will do well on the exam itself. I often find new material in practice exams and take the opportunity to learn more about it so there will not be too many "suprises" on the actual exam. As for the errors in material, all I can say is get used to it. There are frequent errors in technical material.
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    @detroit

If the content is on the objectives, you can expect to see it on the exam. No one except CompTIA knows the value of each question, which are beta questions. Folks who have taken the exam are prohibited by the NDA to discuss their respective exams. Even the authors may only make suggestions as to what you should 'know'.

If you have some experience with the materials, you should be fine with that plus some review. I recommend focusing on understanding the material, not running though hundreds of practice questions.

Most likely you are ready. Relax a bit.

Good luck
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    dpsmooth15dpsmooth15 Banned Posts: 155
    Hmmm, how can I put this……….I really really really really really really really "suggest" you know the specifications of T568A/T568B and who ever said that you did not….wants you to fail ncool.gif
  • Options
    DetroitPierogiDetroitPierogi Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Sorry for the rant.

Plantwiz is right. I'm too wound up right now.