What is the Function of RIP, OSPF,IS-IS,IGRP,EIGRP and BGP?

N6v7d8N6v7d8 Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
because I don't understand icon_sad.gif

Comments

• jamarchitectjamarchitect Member Posts: 51 ■■□□□□□□□□
    They are different protocols for communication over and between LANs. Ripv2 is Distance-Vector (hop count), OSPF is Link-State (Cost), IGRP and EIGRP are Cisco propriety, and BGP is the the protocol used to exit the default gateway. Wikipedia has a lot of information on all of these.

You'd better look them up, because I just learned them myself, and so you'll want to double check what I just said... in other words, I can't yet give you a complete and detailed answer.
  • Dieg0MDieg0M Member Posts: 861
    They are routing protocols. Look up routing protocol on wiki.
    Follow my CCDE journey at www.routingnull0.com
  • JaneDoeJaneDoe Member Posts: 171
    They exist to help routers figure out where traffic should go. BGP is used on the internet, and the rest are used on internal networks. Without these protocols, a human would have to manually enter all of the networks the router can connect to using static routes (imagine doing that for the internet - it wouldn't work). These protocols exist so routers can share information about places traffic can go without human intervention. The ability of routers to share this information is needed to make the internet work.