Back at it again

mistabrumley89mistabrumley89 Member Posts: 356 ■■■□□□□□□□
Well, about a month ago I put my studies on hold because I was going to be in Japan for a month or so. I brought by study materials with me, and I'm glad that I did. Turns out i'm working night shift, so it is just completely dead. I'm also helping to manage our CUCM. The first thing I started studying was analog signaling and pretty much older voice technologies. I thought I was going to just give up on voice because things didn't immediately "click". Finally got to the point where I was doing a little bit of CLI for CME and it just completely peaked my interest. I am really starting to enjoy the voice studies now. Hopefully I can take my exam before 20DEC when I take vacation, but we will see. Any good books anyone can reference? Not the OCG type book, but more of an on the job quick reference cli guide/cucm guide for the real world?
Goals: WGU BS: IT-Sec (DONE) | CCIE Written: In Progress
LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/charlesbrumley

Comments

• sendalotsendalot Member Posts: 328
    I see you are stating on Voice, are you reading anything besides the OCG by Jeremy?
    Thanks.
  • ande0255ande0255 Banned Posts: 1,178
    Im interested to know how the OCG book is for you, as I started reading a bit, but haven't touched it since I found the free streaming INE videos for the CCNA Voice. It seems like the test is a lot of hands on material from what I've heard, so book studying doesn't really seem to make much sense beyond the intro to telephony portion.

Thoughts?
  • mistabrumley89mistabrumley89 Member Posts: 356 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I didn't have time to take the exam and I'm on vacation right now. First time home in three years. I'm really starting to hit the cbt and ine videos though. I go to Thailand at the end of January. Hopefully I'm prepared enough to take the exam before I fly out, but we will see how the cards play out.
  • ehndeehnde Member Posts: 1,103
    Any good books anyone can reference? Not the OCG type book, but more of an on the job quick reference cli guide/cucm guide for the real world?

Cisco Unified Communications System 8.x SRND - Cisco Systems

Cisco Unified Communications Manager (CallManager) Design Guides - Cisco Systems

That should keep you pretty busy!
    Climb a mountain, tell no one.
    That's a little much lol. I meant more of like the cisco cookbook type of read. Thanks for the link though. Some useful information
  • shodownshodown Member Posts: 2,271
    A little secret. Those 2 links he gave above. The test has questions word for word out of the book.
    Currently Reading

CUCM SRND 9x/10, UCCX SRND 10x, QOS SRND, SIP Trunking Guide, anything contact center related
    I'd give Jeremy Ciora's OCG a quick read and highlight the key points for quick reference.
    Well I just scheduled my exam for the 22nd. Cram time.
  • aftereffectoraftereffector Member Posts: 525 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Good luck!
    CCIE Security - this one might take a while...
    Thanks. I'm going to need it. I didn't even realize how high the score requirement was until just a few days ago, but hopefully all the CUCM, CUCS, and CUPS hands on I got at work helps out.
    I just assume most exam scores are 825 / 1000 now, so if you aim for 1000 you will hopefully be okay - good luck :)
    I just wasn't thinking it was going to be 881/1000 lol.... I guess they really want to make sure you know the topic if you plan on doing any sort of voice
    I haven't looked it up at all yet, but damn that is a high bar for passing score, and it seems like the question:time ratio is more question heavy as well. Maybe I'll leave my test date at the end of Feb to leave room for labbing and running through scenarios.

Again good luck! Report back how it goes, I'm quite interested to hear!