Countdown to SSCP

MSP-ITMSP-IT Member Posts: 752 ■■■□□□□□□□
I have the SSCP and CCNA: Security scheduled for the 17th. So far I've read through Darril Gibson's SSCP book, watched all of Tony Northrup's Pluralsight Courses, and rewritten SSCP Notes 2.0 from CCCure. I have just days to finish studying. I've been re-pouring over the SSCP Notes 2.0 from CCCure.org and studying terms from Gibson's book. I've been going over any terms and processes that I feel I don't know well. All together I feel a bit ill-prepared, which will hopefully fade by test day.

Based on what I've read from other's experiences, I'm fully prepared to sit down and instantly feel demolished. Knowing that many who sit the exam pass, but don't expect to pass on clicking submit, I've been preparing myself mentally to fight any urge to face defeat. From what I've both seen and read, the pass rate seems somewhat high, but the challenge remains very real. I have a good hour and a half between the end time of the SSCP and the start of the CCNA: Sec. Hopefully that will be enough time to fuel up and calm the mind a bit.

Any final suggestions?

Comments

• JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    Did you read my SSCP exam experience blog articles? My CISSP exam experience blog articles are worth reading too. ;)

The SSCP exam is not a crusher. It is only three hours, so you'll be up and out of there in less time. Just remember to take your time reading each exam item and considering each answer option before you choose. Only change your answers if you have made an obvious error. If you are split between two answers, go with your gut and stick with it. If you feel the need to start rushing through the exam, stop, take a deep breath, and slow yourself down. Slow, steady, calm, and meditative wins the race. I wouldn't be surprised if you end up thinking the CCNA:Sec was more difficult than the SSCP.

Good luck! :D
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Ugh, once I get done with this GCIH (5 books is a lot to read and index) I'm onto the SSCP. It's reading through all the SSCP material that I'm not looking forward to.
  • MSP-ITMSP-IT Member Posts: 752 ■■■□□□□□□□
    JDMurray wrote: »
    Did you read my SSCP exam experience blog articles? My CISSP exam experience blog articles are worth reading too. ;)

The SSCP exam is not a crusher. It is only three hours, so you'll be up and out of there in less time. Just remember to take your time reading each exam item and considering each answer option before you choose. Only change your answers if you have made an obvious error. If you are split between two answers, go with your gut and stick with it. If you feel the need to start rushing through the exam, stop, take a deep breath, and slow yourself down. Slow, steady, calm, and meditative wins the race. I wouldn't be surprised if you end up thinking the CCNA:Sec was more difficult than the SSCP.

Good luck! :D

That I did! Your review of Pluralsight's SSCP content was a primary factor on my membership.
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    It's reading through all the SSCP material that I'm not looking forward to.
    But it's great prep for the CISSP exam too! ;)
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    JDMurray wrote: »
    But it's great prep for the CISSP exam too! ;)

True. True. My job involves a lot of paperwork, policy writing and auditing. That's part of the reason why I thought this would be a good certification challenge for 2014.
  • MSP-ITMSP-IT Member Posts: 752 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Passed with about an hour and a half left on the clock. I really over-estimated this one. I thought it was relatively easy, as the majority of the questions were all conceptual and based on high level processes. I went through the set of questions in about an hour, took a short break, and went through them all again.

The CCNA: Security I took a few hours later was much more challenging. I passed that with a 855/1000.
  • cgrimaldocgrimaldo Member Posts: 439 ■■■■□□□□□□
  • switch-modeswitch-mode Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Fantastic! Really congrats! :D
  • ZorodzaiZorodzai Member Posts: 357 ■■■■■■■□□□
    icon_cheers.gificon_thumright.gif - congrats, well done !