GIAC Advisory Board

BillHooBillHoo Member Posts: 207 ■■■□□□□□□□
I see that if you have an average GIAC certification score of 90 percent or better, you may be invited to join the SANS advisory board.

GIAC Advisory Board

Would that have to be multiple cert exams, or would an invitation be extended for taking a single exam and scoring over 90 percent?

How soon does the invitation get extended?

Anyone here on the board? Any fun perks to it?

Comments

• 5ekurity5ekurity Member Posts: 346 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I have a few former colleagues who are on it. My understanding is if you pass one exam and achieve a 90% or greater, an invitation will be extended to you. I've heard there are some other mailing list perks, and that if you can - it's good to be on them. Hoping to find out one day first hand!
  • docricedocrice Member Posts: 1,706 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Your understanding is correct. If you pass a GIAC exam with at least 90%, you get to be part of the advisory board, which in my experience the main benefit is being on the advisory board mailing list. Lots of good topics that come up on there, but I can barely keep up. I have over 7000 messages (some spanning back years) that I haven't read yet.

Another way to become immersed in the world of infosec and bounce ideas with others.
    Hopefully-useful stuff I've written: http://kimiushida.com/bitsandpieces/articles/
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    Yes, there are thousands of great threads in the GIAC's mailing list going back years with many insightful opinions and observations about security issues. Unfortunately, it's too much volume for me to keep up with too. At least the full archive is downloadable should I find myself bedridden for a year and need something to read. icon_lol.gif
  • BillHooBillHoo Member Posts: 207 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the insights guys and/or gals!

I just got the invitation email today.

Considering the high volume of email discussion, I created a new email address to register under.

My lapel pin and beanie will be presented after the induction dinner. icon_rolleyes.gif

-Bill_H