Newbie Here !!!

artloveartlove Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
How are you all!

I am so happy to find the site because it is great help for a person like me who seeking advice for getting A+ or similar one. After read lots of threads, I think I have a solid plan to get a text book and free Videos on online for A+.

However, I would like to have some advice for Certifications.

I have been working at an wholesaler/distributor business as a computer technician for over 15 years.
The work place has only two Windows Servers, and 12 workstations which I built them myself.
My job is taking care of all IT equipments & Softwares which include Server, Workstations, POS Hardware, Networks, and all upgradings, lastly troubleshootings & training too.
However, the business has not been great recently, and the owner of the company made a decision to close the business soon. So I have to get a new job, but it is very hard to find one because I have not had any IT certification. I have never thought that I need to have one. It is kind of late, but I am trying to get some certifications one by one. I have a plan to have A+, Network+, then CCNA. I am not really sure that the plan is right. Is any one gives me some advices for the plan?
Thank you

Don

Comments

• JaneDoeJaneDoe Member Posts: 171
    Did you use Cisco equipment at work? If so go straight to your CCNA/CCENT instead of the Network+. Also look into doing Microsoft certification if you have Microsoft servers at work. CCENT or Network+ & and MSCA would be a great place to start out, especially with 15 years experience working with Microsoft servers. If you know the basics of security, the Security+ exam isn't bad either.
  • artloveartlove Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    JaneDoe wrote: »
    Did you use Cisco equipment at work? If so go straight to your CCNA/CCENT instead of the Network+. Also look into doing Microsoft certification if you have Microsoft servers at work. CCENT or Network+ & and MSCA would be a great place to start out, especially with 15 years experience working with Microsoft servers. If you know the basics of security, the Security+ exam isn't bad either.

Thanks for your quick advice.
    I have not used Cisco Eq. for the network, but I found "CCNA Required" at Job Site.
    So I thought it will be helpful if I have one. I will research for MSCA too.
    I thought MCSE will be good, but it looks kind of hard to get, so I would not try at this moment.

thank you,

Don
    How long do you have? The CCNA isn't easy if you've never worked with Cisco gear. I'd focus on getting certified in what you already know and have experience with. The MSCA is like the MCSE but it's only 3 exams instead of 5. After you finish the MSCA, you take two more exams to become MSCE.
  • LittleBITLittleBIT Member Posts: 320 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Not on the topic of certs; if you have 15 years experience working with this stuff, the certs will only be validations for your skills. If you can draft a powerful resume, I think you shouldnt have an issue with finding another job. Depending on what you are looking for and your area. Some places even waive the certs, I didnt have a cert until late 2013, but been in some form of IT for 7 years.

On the topic of IT: What is your longterm goal? Your dream job? Once you figure that out, you mold your certification path towards that. If you want a job as quickly as possible to hold you over, I would recommend A+/Net+ to start, and work your way up towards MCSE or the Cisco route later on when you are comfortable.

Just my two cents. Hope this helps ^^
    Kindly doing the needful
    JaneDoe wrote: »
    How long do you have? The CCNA isn't easy if you've never worked with Cisco gear. I'd focus on getting certified in what you already know and have experience with. The MSCA is like the MCSE but it's only 3 exams instead of 5. After you finish the MSCA, you take two more exams to become MSCE.

My guess is around 8 to 10 months from now.
    Just like your advice, when I get A+ & Network+, then I will study for MSCA.
    Again, thank you for your advice.

Don :D
    LittleBIT wrote: »
    Not on the topic of certs; if you have 15 years experience working with this stuff, the certs will only be validations for your skills. If you can draft a powerful resume, I think you shouldnt have an issue with finding another job. Depending on what you are looking for and your area. Some places even waive the certs, I didnt have a cert until late 2013, but been in some form of IT for 7 years.

On the topic of IT: What is your longterm goal? Your dream job? Once you figure that out, you mold your certification path towards that. If you want a job as quickly as possible to hold you over, I would recommend A+/Net+ to start, and work your way up towards MCSE or the Cisco route later on when you are comfortable.

Just my two cents. Hope this helps ^^

I see your point.
    The main reason to get the Cert. is that when I make a resume, I found out I do not have any proof to show my skills or abilities to others. And there are lots of recruiters are looking for IT Cert. for positions.
    So, I am here to pursue to have one. As your advice and others, I will chase A+ & Network+ first, then MSCA & MCSE.....

Thank you all,

Don:D
  • White_WolfWhite_Wolf Registered Users Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    That's odd that you would have a hard time finding a job with that much experience. Usually that trumps the need to certifications. I agree with people above you though. Go with the MCSA or if you can the MCSE, and if you want any of the entry level CISCO certs. Comptia exams are really for the most entry level of people looking to break into the field. With your background vendor specific would benefit you more.
  • nestechnestech Member Posts: 74 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I say go for your A+, Security +, CCENT and MCSA. With your experience you should be able to get 2 of the 4 certification in 6 months if not all... You should be looking for a job right now I would not wait for them to close the business before I start looking...
  • Nellis2014Nellis2014 Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I have over a year of IT experience. I agree with nestech's statement.
    Active Certifications: MTA: Windows Operating Systems Fundamentals
    Certifications in Progress: CompTIA A+, CompTIA Strata Fundamentals
    Future Certifications: CompTIA Network+, MSCE, CompTIA Server+
    Future Distinctions: B.S. Information Technology Degree (WGU)
    icon_cheers.gif Thank you all.....

Because of requirement for IT Cert. at Job Posting Site, I did not even try to find a job.
    To be honest, I was pretty frustrated and do not know what to do for a while when I found out the closing the business. However, after the research, I found this site, and learnt lots of things that I need to pursue for the future job (Thanks again for ALL).

From this weekend, I will build a computer lab at my basement, and start studying for A+.
    Anyway, I ordered "CompTIA A+ 220-801 and 220-802 Authorized Exam Cram (6th Edition)" for a text book, and will check free online video from Prof. Messer for A+

I hope the plan is OK

Again, thank you all,

Don
  • ally_ukally_uk Member Posts: 1,145 ■■■■□□□□□□
    With your experience you should be able to get your foot in the door with ease serioiusly get a decent CV written up and go into detail about the technologies you have worked with
    Microsoft's strategy to conquer the I.T industry

" Embrace, evolve, extinguish "
    With a network that small, the entry level certs probably help, and you'll learn things that only apply to bigger networks.