CCVP Books

HushangHushang Member Posts: 23 ■□□□□□□□□□
Can some1 plz post a link or a list of the books recommended to use to study for all 5 of the ccvp certs plz. i appreciate it.

Comments

• mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
    Voice-Enabling the Data Network: H.323, MGCP, SIP, QoS, SLAs, and Security was on the CCIE Voice Reading list when I last looked.... but now it seems to be one of the Cisco Press recommended/suggested books for the CCVP. It wasn't in that list when I copied it last December (and I don't think it was there when I ordered my CCVP books last January).

Looks like its time for another Cisco Press order..... and another review and comparison of the CCVP exam blueprints to see if anything has changed from January.
  • HushangHushang Member Posts: 23 ■□□□□□□□□□
    mikej412 wrote:

btw i ordered those books u mentioned, was thinkin bout getting those flash cards and decided to hold off for now, hopefully ill get the books sometime next week.
    i finally got all of those books...which book should i start at?
    Have you decided on an exam sequence yet?

My sequence was/is (this week)
    QOS, CVOICE, CIPT, ....
    and then I keep flipping on GWGK and IPTT

IPTT seems to be tossing a lot of new detail stuff in.... its not the CCNP CIT exam where they add some new fluff and you use a lot of the stuff you learned for the other exams.

The book for QOS is the easy one to pick out.... that could be as good a reason as any to start there.

The troubleshooting book is obvious.... so put that at the bottom of the pile..

When I get the time I may sit down with the blueprints and the books and try to figure out which ones go with which...

The IP Telephony Self-Study Cisco IP Telephony by Lovell is the CIPT book.

The Voice over IP Fundamentals, Deploying Cisco Voice over IP Solutions, and The Cisco IP Telephony: Planning, Design, Implementation, Operation, and Optimization may be the first books 3 books to read..... probably covers CVOICE, and prepares the background material for the rest of the exams.

I'm thinking I probably could pass GWGK right now.... but I expect to pick up more detailed info from IPTT.... GWGK stuff seems to be all over -- so maybe I might flip it to being my last exam.
    yea..makes sense, QoS it is!
    Hushang wrote:
    yea..makes sense, OoS it is!
    Your post reminded me to order Voice-Enabling the Data Network: H323, MGCP, SIP, QoS, SLAs, and Security -- that will give me time to get it, read it, and figure out what its good for! :D

Since it was added to the CCVP list recently (its a CCIE Voice list recommended book) it may be a hint of things to come, rather than required for stuff now.... I'm not sure the SLAs and Security parts will be needed. The H323, MGCP, and SIP will definitely help. The QoS part could add some more background information for someone who hasn't done the CCNP.
    mikej412 wrote:
    Voice-Enabling the Data Network: H323, MGCP, SIP, QoS, SLAs, and Security
    This seems to be a high-level FLUFF book.

There may be a vague reference to something that may be useful... but I couldn't really tell you what it is.

Based on the title I was expecting another Cisco Press MONSTER BOOK and some real good information -- the last page of the index is page 200.
    mikej412 wrote:
    Voice over IP Fundamentals, Deploying Cisco Voice over IP Solutions, and The Cisco IP Telephony: Planning, Design, Implementation, Operation, and Optimization may be the first 3 books to read..... probably covers CVOICE, and prepares the background material for the rest of the exams.
    As far as reading sequence.... maybe read it as the 4th book (or don't bother buying it).
    Thanks DaPunnisher, nice pic btw
    Cisco Press is coming out with a Gateway/Gatekeeper book on August 19th -- too late to save me. icon_lol.gif
    http://www.ciscopress.com/bookstore/product.asp?isbn=158705258X&rl=1

There is a new edition of Voice over IP Fundamentals coming out July 31st -- the 2nd Edition
    http://www.ciscopress.com/bookstore/product.asp?isbn=1587052571&rl=1

Some of the stuff I've found in the Cisco docs has been useful -- I don't have the urls, but I did download the PDFs -- they may be chapters or complete guides...

Understanding H.323 Gatekeepers
    Configuring H.323 Gatekeepers
    Configuring MGCP and Related Protocols
    H.323 Applications
    Configuring SIP for VoIP
    Configuring MGCP and Related Protocols

And the motherload for configurations (some of the above are chapters from this):
    Cisco IOS Voice, Video and Fax Config Guide, Rel 12.2
    (I should probably do a search on this without the Rel 12.2 and find a newer version :D )

And I have a couple different versions of:
    Cisco CallManager System Guide
    and I have lots of chapter PDFs I had downloaded and read, before I decided it was easier just to download the entire guide.
    While trying to figure out if I already have a book/the book/any book for the IP Telephony Design exam -- I tripped over this for CVOICE -- coming Sept 5th

Cisco Voice over IP (CVoice) (Authorized Self-Study Guide), 2nd Edition

I can't find the 1st edition in my book shelf (or on my reading list where I was tracking my book orders) -- so I'm just going to assume for now this was an out-of-print book -- or it's been re-titled for the "2nd Edition."
    I should have waited until sept to buy my books, oh well.
    Cisco Press 50% on purchase of 3 books or more! I've gone ahead and ordered the updated Voice books, even though I won't have time to read them for a while.

After I ordered, I realized I had "missed a book" -- but there are a couple new books coming out before the end of the year, so I'll probably do another 3+ book order before the end of the year.

I also took the free Fed-Ex shipping since I had no pressing need for the books.

Member price discount looks like it's down to 20% now without the "special."