Passed IPS!

Took the test today and everything went according to plan - I passed. For some reason I expected that test to be extremely difficult. Don't get me wrong, this was by no means a walk in the park but I just had some unrealistic expectations. This is the exam that I had the most fun with, hands down. The preparation process was pretty cool. Again, I used the ocg, quick reference, cbt and the config guide + all cisco documentation that I could find on the web. The good thing is that the exam preparation lined up with me having to do this in production just as I had hoped.

Thanks to RouteMyPacket for the tips. Also, my initial idea of only using a module on an ASA wasn't the best one I've had. There really are some differences that deserve to be fiddled with on both modules and standalone devices. I deployed a few sensors at a client's site(they were planned for later but I persuaded them to do it sooner icon_twisted.gif ).
Yes, I am a criminal. My crime is that of curiosity. My crime is that of judging people by what they say and think, not what they look like. My crime is that of outsmarting you, something that you will never forgive me for.

Comments

• dpsmooth15dpsmooth15 Banned Posts: 155
    well done, congratulations.
  • Vask3nVask3n Member Posts: 517
    Congrats Master! Only one left to tackle now.
    Working on MS-ISA at Western Governor's University
  • Master Of PuppetsMaster Of Puppets Member Posts: 1,210
    Vask3n wrote: »
    Congrats Master! Only one left to tackle now.

Мерси, малко остана! По-трудната част мина.

Thanks guys. I have until April to pass SECURE but I don't want to wait untill the last moment. I am going to continue with the hardcore studying cause there are a lot of things that I want to learn after that.
    Yes, I am a criminal. My crime is that of curiosity. My crime is that of judging people by what they say and think, not what they look like. My crime is that of outsmarting you, something that you will never forgive me for.
  • Heracles004Heracles004 Member Posts: 50 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats man, I just finished VPN so now its down to Secure for me also. Might be worth passing notes back and forth. What kind of a timeline are you planning on for study?
    Congrats man, I just finished VPN so now its down to Secure for me also. Might be worth passing notes back and forth. What kind of a timeline are you planning on for study?

That's not a bad idea. I am thinking of aiming for somewhere around early March. The reason being is that I am already familiar with some of the material and I feel comfortable about it. Plus, I can get in some study time everyday which also helps.

What's your game plan?
  • docricedocrice Member Posts: 1,706 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I've never used Cisco's IPS before, so I'm curious how you feel about the product compared to other IPS vendors. One of the reasons I decided to stop pursuing CCNP: Security was because I didn't want to study for IPS when I didn't see myself potentially using Cisco's in the near-term and I generally haven't heard many positive things.
    Hopefully-useful stuff I've written: http://kimiushida.com/bitsandpieces/articles/
    Sorry but I can't be very helpful here. When it comes to IPS devices, I am not the best judge out there. My IPS experience as a whole is limited and far from diverse. I have only used Cisco IPS and a little bit of Snort so I can't draw a comparison with other vendors. For what its worth though, I like Snort much better but I believe you are much more familiar with it than I am and therefore aware of its qualities.

Also, I'm used to working with Cisco gear so that probably plays a role too.
  • FloOzFloOz Member Posts: 1,614 ■■■■□□□□□□
  • Heracles004Heracles004 Member Posts: 50 ■■■□□□□□□□
    The book has bad reviews but I will probably peek through it, the main plan is to go through the INE videos and lab. I started the videos already and labbed some zone based firewall setups.
  • RouteMyPacketRouteMyPacket Member Posts: 1,104
    Congrats! Yeah, I was over prepared at the end of the day for IPS. When I was taking it, I literally chuckled at how basic it was.

The only thing really different was I have a 4240 racked in my lab and was using IDM v7.1 and the test is 7.0 I think but seriously, a quick look around and you can find what you need.

As far as Cisco IPS in prod, I have only ever seen an AIP module in prod but other then that never once have I walked in and saw Cisco IPS in use. Didn't deter me in the slightest from reaching a goal I set..so to the person who didn't complete because of that, wtf? That makes no sense, having a CCNP Security means more than "Hey, I can set up this IPS for you here" lol
    Modularity and Design Simplicity:

Think of the 2:00 a.m. test—if you were awakened in the
    middle of the night because of a network problem and had to figure out the
    traffic flows in your network while you were half asleep, could you do it?
  • broli720broli720 Member Posts: 394 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats. I hope to join the club sometime this year. I have really have no idea how long it will take me to complete this track; good thing I'm not in a rush.
  • PCHoldmannPCHoldmann Member Posts: 450
    Congrats!
    There's no place like ^$
    Visit me at Route, Switch, Blog