Options

WGU - 1 term finish!

sanrussanrus Member Posts: 43 ■■■□□□□□□□
I have seen a lot of '1 term finish' threads on this forum. Maybe those threads actually motivated me to try to finish WGU in one term which I did. Originally, I was planning to spend 2 terms but after do some research, I though it might be possible. I started my term on August 1st and finished January 20th.

When I enrolled to WGU I already had my AS degree in Computer Engineering and A+,N+,S+ certs. I decided to go for general IT degree and I needed to complete 53 CU's.

Here are the courses I copmleted:
TPV1 Project Management - I took some extra time before even start of my term. I used a project+ book from amazon. When my term started, first thing I did is passed the pre-assessment and scheduled an exam. So I had 6 CU's done after one week of term. nice start.
MGC1 Principles of Management - not a hard exam, but you really need to read the book. I think the cut score is pretty low, which makes this course easier. Took me 4 weeks to knock out MGC1 and BNC1.
BOV1 Web Programming - JavaScript was pretty easy. Took me 2 weeks all together. Good way to prepare yourself to more advanced Java courses.
BNC1 Organizational Behavior and Leadership -same as MGC1.

CJV1 Database I - took me about 3 weeks as I didn't really have any database experience. I learned basics of database which actually helped me to get my first IT job.
CUV1 Web Technologies - The first course I took. This course was a breeze. A lot of things that I already knew. easy 4 CU's. Just because it was my first course, I took my time and spent 2 weeks on it.

CVV1 Database Fundamentals - Similar course to CJV1. If you were studying good for CJV1, you can be done with this one in a week. MeasureUP was usefull. If I miss the question, I make sure I find an explanation why was I wrong.
DIV1 Windows Server Admin Fundamentals - Prior to WGU I was already studying Active Directory so I didnt even need to study. I took the pre-assessment and scored 75. Then scheduled an exam and passed. Took me a week just because had to schedule an exam for saturday.

DJV1 Software Development Fundamentals - Another easy course. read book. measure up. youre ready to go. 2-3 weeks.
RIT1 Leadership Concepts and Applications -If you like writing you can finish it up in a week. For me it took 2 weeks to pass this one. To finish the course you need to submit 4 essays. Not hard, just make sure u include everything they ask in your essay.
TXP1 Project in Introduction to Programming - A project in Java. This one wasn't hard at all. All I did is watched tutorial on newboston, and was able to write the program in 3 hours.
TXC1 Introduction to Programming - A test. If you have learned some Java from tutorials, shouldn't be hard. Also cut score is pretty low.

TYP1 Project in Introduction to Object-Oriented Design and Development - This was actually pretty hard project. I had to spend some time with books, tutorials, and stackoverflow to be able to write that. If you have no Java knowledge, make sure you study hard!
TYC1 Introduction to Object-Oriented Design and Development - This one was even harder! The test is long and confusing. This is the only test I failed once. Make sure u have good understanding in inheritance, polymorphic, classes, and interfaces.
SBT1 Technical Writing Passed 3 and QZT1 IT Capstone Written Project -a 40 page project. Wasnt too hard, but wasnt easy either. Also found it hard to motivate myseft since it was the end of the term. Spent like 2-3 weeks on that.

Not all the courses were hard, however, I studied hard and took my time.

Comments

• Options
    TomkoTechTomkoTech Member Posts: 438
    Congrats!

I have significantly more to cover than you, but I hope I am able to finish it in 2 terms myself. 3 at the most.
  • Options
    acharya007acharya007 Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congratulations on this fantastic achievement and thank you for posting this. I know every individual has a different learning style and pace but just curious how many hours/day/week did you spend learning?
  • Options
    MSP-ITMSP-IT Member Posts: 752 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I have roughly 8 courses left. The majority of which you have listed here. Thanks for the input, it really helps to know what I can plan on for the next few courses I'm going to take.

Congrats!
  • Options
    acharya007 wrote: »
    Congratulations on this fantastic achievement and thank you for posting this. I know every individual has a different learning style and pace but just curious how many hours/day/week did you spend learning?

I started the term with a lot of motivation. I didn't bet on finishing in one term I rather wanted to try to work as hard as I can, and see how it goes.
    My first 3 months I could study every day for 3-4 hours, and give another 8-10 on weekends. Sometimes I did 12 hours on weekends. I find it easier to dedicate all day rather than study every day. For example I study for 2-3 hours, then take half hour break, then back to study. After 3 months I slowed down a lot tho.
  • Options
    CoolAsAFanCoolAsAFan Member Posts: 239
    Very impressive, congratulations! What do you plan on doing next?
    IvyTech - AS CINS (Completed: May, 2013)
    WGU Indiana - BS IT Security
    (Started: August 1st, 2013)

Transferred: AGC1 CDP1 BVC1 CLC1 CVV1 DHV1 DJV1 GAC1 CIC1 CDC1 UBT1 IWC1 IWT1 TCP1 TJP1 TJC1 EBV1 WFV1 EUP1 EUC1 CJC1 UBC1 TBP1
    Completed: CUV1 BOV1 DRV1 DSV1 CTV1 CJV1 COV1 CQV1 CNV1 TPV1 MGC1 TXC1 TXP1 BNC1 TYP1 TYC1
    Required:
    SBT1 RGT1 RIT1
  • Options
    Thank you guys.

I might go for masters but not at this time. I think I need to have balance between education and experience. I might go for masters when I will have 2-3 years of exp. For now, I think I will start working on MCSE and then CCNA
  • Options
    ajmatsonajmatson Member Posts: 289
    sanrus wrote: »
    TXP1 Project in Introduction to Programming - A project in Java. This one wasn't hard at all. All I did is watched tutorial on newboston, and was able to write the program in 3 hours.

Do you remember the video that you used for this? Thanks, Alan
    Working on currently:
    Masters Degree Information Security and Assurance (WGU) / Estimated 06/01/2016
    Next Up: CCNP Routing Exam | Certified Ethical Hacker Exam
    Cisco Lab: ASA 5506-X, GNS3, 1x 2801 Router, 1x 2650XM, 1x 3750-48TS-E switch, 2x 3550 EMI Switches and 1x 2950T swtich.
    Juniper Lab: 1x SRX100H2, 1x J2320 (1GB Flash/1GB RAM, JunOS 11.4R7.5), and 4 JunOS Firefly vSRX Routers in VMWare ESXi 5.1
  • Options
    Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    The New Boston java videos are here
    List of Videos for Java
  • Options
    DevilryDevilry Member Posts: 668
    That is a huge accomplishment, congrats to you!
  • Options
    EngRobEngRob Member Posts: 247 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Just seeing this thread after the bump. Excellent progress! Congrats