Options

My journey to CCENT and CCNA

StonedHitmanStonedHitman Member Posts: 120
Hi guys, so 2 weeks a ago I decided to go to a trade school and I took a 6 month cisco training course(only $100). We use cisco networking academy and there's also hands on stuff. Like, yesterday I was configuring a router through the CLI. But anyways, by the end of this course my instructor assures me that we will be well prepared to get both CCENT and CCNA. He is a great instructor, he had us start off the bat with subnetting. At first I was nervous cause the things I heard about subnetting being brutal. But, I have been going there for 2 weeks so far and I gotta say i got the basics down pretty well and im really enjoying using the CLI. I'm confident I can get CCNA in the next six months, I'm always doubting myself but that changes today.

Here's what i'm using total to help me on my journey:

My Instructor
Cisco Networking Academy
IP Aaddressing and Subnetting workbook, courtesy of Cisco Networking Academy
Cisco CCENT/CCNA ICND1 100-101 by Wendell Odom, CCIE
Packet Tracer
Advanced Subnet Calculator
Train Signal CCENT 100-101 videos
Currently reading Network Warrior

Comments

• Options
    dpsmooth15dpsmooth15 Banned Posts: 155
    I respect the determination you are showing, I respect the drive. I also know that with the class instruction and the resources you will pass. The more resources the better, but you do not have to read 1000+ pages to do it. And in all honesty….It should not take you 6 months. You can study for the BAR in 6 months, you can study for the NCLEX-RN in 6 months, Do not take 6 months to pass a "Entry Level" Certification. icon_study.gif GO GET IT! The only person that can hold you back….is YOURSELF!icon_cool.gif
  • Options
    bull313bull313 Member Posts: 138
    I agree with dpsmooth. If you focus on studying, you can earn a CCNA in much less than six months. Here in NY, there is a 5 day, 40 hour program for $795, that earns you the CCENT and CCNA. I think the study guides by Wendell Odom and Todd Lammle would be great resources as well.

Best of luck to you, however you decide to do it icon_thumright.gif
    "Follow your dreams. You CAN reach your goals. I'm living proof. Beefcake! BeefCAAAAAAAKKKKE!!!"-Eric Cartman
  • Options
    Jon_CiscoJon_Cisco Member Posts: 1,772 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I think you will do great the motivation to continue is the most important thing.
    As for timelines I am taking the cisco network academy classes and they last 2 full semesters. 4 courses total. I expect it to take me 10-11 months to earn my CCNA and I have no problem with that timeline. The goal is not to pass the test but rather learn the material then show that knowledge by passing.

Good Luck!