Options

Stopped studying SWITCH, changing gears...

filkenjitsufilkenjitsu Member Posts: 564 ■■■■□□□□□□
I tried to get through the studies but I do nothing SWITCH related at work. I decided to move on to CCNP SPEDGE.

Anyone ever move on from an exam due to it not directly benefitting your day to day?

I will start to chronicle my studies for CCNP SPEDGE in the CCNP Service Provider forum.
CISSP, CCNA SP
Bachelors of Science in Telecommunications - Mt. Sierra College
Masters of Networking and Communications Management, Focus in Wireless - Keller

Comments

• Options
    bobfromfplbobfromfpl Member Posts: 104
    Nothing wrong with that, no sense in having a certification for the sake of having it. If you need to learn a specific topic then just research it separately. I checked out the SPEDGE but I dont deal with any of those technologies myself.
  • Options
    RouteMyPacketRouteMyPacket Member Posts: 1,104
    I'm confused, you were working towards CCNP R/S and have changed gears and trying CCNP SP? What do you do at work?
    Modularity and Design Simplicity:

Think of the 2:00 a.m. test—if you were awakened in the
    middle of the night because of a network problem and had to figure out the
    traffic flows in your network while you were half asleep, could you do it?
  • Options
    aaron0011aaron0011 Member Posts: 330
    SWITCH is critical to working in networking. If you don't fully understand Layer 2 then it will hurt your knowledge in Layer 3. I focus on Design/Voice and starting to get into Data Center but I am putting up with ROUTE because I feel CCNP R/S is essential. I'd stick with it if I were you.
  • Options
    I work at a cellular service provider dealing with MPLS, BGP, OSPF, QOS, Carrier Ethernet, Microwave Ethernet, T1s, etc. We have HSRP and VRRP in place, but rarely do I have to worry about them. QinQ, SVIs, Ether channel, LAG, and port channel are relevant to my work which is layer 2 stuff. I will be back for SWITCH in the future, but I am constantly surrounded by MPLS, LDP, RSVP, DiffServ, and other such topics that I need more depth on that I feel the layer 2 background I have now will suffice as it is a minor consideration in my day to day activities and troubleshooting.
    CISSP, CCNA SP
  • Options
    shodownshodown Member Posts: 2,271
    every networking job doesn't require CCNP switch knowledge. When I worked for a large enterprise(400+ sites, 35K users) I was a WAN engineer and I would only setup a max of 2 switches. Everything else would go to the LAN team who would take care of the network. I had to have pretty extensive BGP/OSPF knowledge, but not so much on the Lan side of things..
    Currently Reading

CUCM SRND 9x/10, UCCX SRND 10x, QOS SRND, SIP Trunking Guide, anything contact center related
  • Options
    My company's core network is handled by another team. This team supports all the 6500s and Nexus gear.
    CISSP, CCNA SP