Finally joined the CCNA R&S fan club

StaunchyStaunchy Member Posts: 180
After a very long week and very little sleep I can day it was worth it... I wrote passed ICND2 today with a scored I didn't expect, 1000/1000. I was expecting a score in the 800's.

The most difficult topics I struggled to grasp was frame-relay, I spend about 2 weeks on it alone. STP/RSTP is simple i but it gets complicated the bigger your topology gets. EIGRP was not too bad but Troubleshooting EIGRP can get a bit hairy like neighbors don't require the same hello and dead timers etc.

I used the following:
Cisco ICND1 100-101 by W. Odom study guide - Primary study guide
Todd Lammle's CCENT/CCNA study guide - Review
CBT Nuggets - I enjoy Jeremy's videos but would definitely rather recommend Chris Bryant's (If you can use both)
Chris Bryant old series (Still want to buy the new updated videos just for review)
Cisco press exams that came with the book, Free CCNA Tests and CCNA Routing & Switching (200-120) Practice Exam | Free CCNA Workbook
Packet tracer
GNS3 - To practicing routing GNS3 is by far the best option if you don't have access to real gear

I started studying towards end of November 2013 but only really started focusing on studying at the middle of December so in total I spent about 1 1/2 months preparing for ICND2. I started of by reading W. Odom ICND2 guide and than watch the corresponding chapter CBT Nuggets video but I did find myself once or twice going back to W. Odom ICND1 study guide and reading chapters again like IPv6. After finishing W. Odom's book I read Todd Lammle's study guide as I enjoy his writing style and to clarify certain topics like different types of LSA in an OSPF network but I found his book skipping some information. I must say there was 1 or 2 things in the exams I had guessed that never came across in W. Odom's book. I did a few labs after finishing both guides I than started reading W. Odom's book again from the start and also do the corresponding lab of each chapter which also helped clarify frame relay for me. The last week I also worked through the questions that is on the disc that came with the book and also questions on freeccnaworkbook.com.

a Word of advice do as much labs as you can and when taking the exam remember to read the question and answers properly

Good luck to all that is busy studying for ICND1 and INCD2, if you need help let me know.
2016 Goals: CCNP R&S, CCNA Security, CCNP Security
LinkedIn

Comments

• NyblizzardNyblizzard Member Posts: 332 ■■■■□□□□□□
    This literally improved my mood. Congrats on the pass a perfect score too, awesome!
    O
    /|\
    / \
  • CoolAsAFanCoolAsAFan Member Posts: 239
    Congrats on the pass! I will be sitting for this exam soon so I am a bit curious, without violating Cisco NDA, is the extent of ipv6 on CCNA about the same as it was on CCENT? (which is basically just a couple of questions)
    IvyTech - AS CINS (Completed: May, 2013)
    WGU Indiana - BS IT Security
    (Started: August 1st, 2013)

Transferred: AGC1 CDP1 BVC1 CLC1 CVV1 DHV1 DJV1 GAC1 CIC1 CDC1 UBT1 IWC1 IWT1 TCP1 TJP1 TJC1 EBV1 WFV1 EUP1 EUC1 CJC1 UBC1 TBP1
    Completed: CUV1 BOV1 DRV1 DSV1 CTV1 CJV1 COV1 CQV1 CNV1 TPV1 MGC1 TXC1 TXP1 BNC1 TYP1 TYC1
    Required:
    SBT1 RGT1 RIT1
  • zxbanezxbane Member Posts: 740 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats and great post! This will prove useful for me, I plan to take the CCENT in a few weeks and then move onto the CCNA after that. Already have access to the new Udemy Bryant CCNA videos as well.
  • WonTonDonWonTonDon Member Posts: 27 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Wow Congrats dude,that is an awesome score!
  • Jon_CiscoJon_Cisco Member Posts: 1,772 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Nicely done! Congrats
  • beaucaldwellbeaucaldwell Member Posts: 53 ■■□□□□□□□□
    congrats! way to ace it :)
  • FloOzFloOz Member Posts: 1,614 ■■■■□□□□□□
  • sixtytensixtyten Member Posts: 84 ■■□□□□□□□□
    nice score!!

How long were your study sessions each day?
  • White WizardWhite Wizard Member Posts: 179
    Funny you mentioned frame relay as I'm currently using Cisco's official cert guide CCENT/CCNA book to prep for the CCENT and found very little info/ explanation of frame relay virtual circuits in the book so far.

Was there a particular book or website you used to grasp frame relay??

Congrats on the pass!!!!icon_cheers.gif
    "The secret to happiness is doing what you love. The secret to success is loving what you do."
  • Magic JohnsonMagic Johnson Member Posts: 414
    Funny you mentioned frame relay as I'm currently using Cisco's official cert guide CCENT/CCNA book to prep for the CCENT and found very little info/ explanation of frame relay virtual circuits in the book so far.

Wan technologies are only in icnd2.
  • White WizardWhite Wizard Member Posts: 179
    Wan technologies are only in icnd2.
    Well, that explains that.

Makes me wonder why my instructor is giving exams with that material in them considering were in ICND 1.
    "The secret to happiness is doing what you love. The secret to success is loving what you do."
  • StaunchyStaunchy Member Posts: 180
    CoolAsAFan wrote: »
    Congrats on the pass! I will be sitting for this exam soon so I am a bit curious, without violating Cisco NDA, is the extent of ipv6 on CCNA about the same as it was on CCENT? (which is basically just a couple of questions)

What you said icon_wink.gif
    LinkedIn
    sixtyten wrote: »
    nice score!!

How long were your study sessions each day?

About 4 5 hours and than the last week before the exam it went up to 6 to 7 hours. I was very busy at my new job so I only manage to put in an hour or so at work but I also in the morning while on my work I put my iPad on my car's dashboard and watch CBT Nugget videos, than when I get home in the evenings at 7pm I pushed till about 1am, 2am.
    LinkedIn

I used INE's videos, learningnetwork.cisco.com and than a lot of practice. The thing that threw me off was a frame relay hub and spoke design using a single subnet, I couldn't understand why do you require static frame relay mappings but after a bit of research I picked it up is that frame relay uses inverse arp and routers don't forward arp requests.

I think I also read a thread under CCNP about someone posting the same thing about frame relay
    LinkedIn
    Staunchy wrote: »
    About 4 5 hours and than the last week before the exam it went up to 6 to 7 hours. I was very busy at my new job so I only manage to put in an hour or so at work but I also in the morning while on my work I put my iPad on my car's dashboard and watch CBT Nugget videos, than when I get home in the evenings at 7pm I pushed till about 1am, 2am.

Thanks for the post. I'm trying to get back into my study groove and these are good reminders to immerse myself in the material like I did when studying for ICND1. Glad to know I'm not the only one listening to CBT Nuggets on my way to work! :)

Now go have another beer. you've earned it
    sixtyten wrote: »
    Thanks for the post. I'm trying to get back into my study groove and these are good reminders to immerse myself in the material like I did when studying for ICND1. Glad to know I'm not the only one listening to CBT Nuggets on my way to work! :)

Now go have another beer. you've earned it

Hahaha thanks more like back to sleep icon_lol.gif

Sixtyten I want to see you post your exam results by end of February icon_wink.gif
    LinkedIn
  • The IT GuyThe IT Guy Member Posts: 43 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Welcome to the club icon_cheers.gif
  • CerebroCerebro Member Posts: 108
    Congratulations.

I am getting back into Cisco after distractions from work. I have to go over ICND1 again icon_sad.gif before I'll be ready to take the ICND2.
    2014 goals: ICND2[]

Staunchy wrote: »
    Hahaha thanks more like back to sleep icon_lol.gif

Sixtyten I want to see you post your exam results by end of February icon_wink.gif

Will do. My test date is actually March 19th so I'll be posting the results as soon as I'm done. icon_thumright.gif