Options

Advise: Wanting to advance beyond help desk/call center/desktop phone support jobs

JockVSJockJockVSJock Member Posts: 1,118
Haven't posted in a few weeks, because I'm busy trying to transition out of the Army, move to a new city (Austin) find a job that will launch my career and studying for the CISSP.

While applying for jobs, I've trying to taylor my resume to system admin, network admin or info sec analysis positions. I've had a few interviews via the phone and have been told that I don't have the skillset and experience for those positions.

I'm mainly getting phone calls for NOC/Help Desk jobs which I know that I'm overqualified for and I'm burnt out on call center work. I've been doing that work now for over 20 years and I'm so ready to move on from it. Along with that, I feel that I'm repeating the same behavior over and over and if I go into a position like that I won't have any hopes of advancing into another positions because I'm overqualified and will perform well.

My question is then, do I keep applying for positions that I'm not qualified for and hope that someone takes a chance or do I try to find another type of job, like officer manager and non-call center positions and study at night for advance IT certs?
***Freedom of Speech, Just Watch What You Say*** Example, Beware of CompTIA Certs (Deleted From Google Cached)

"Its easier to deceive the masses then to convince the masses that they have been deceived."
-unknown

Comments

• Options
    petedudepetedude Member Posts: 1,510
    There are lots of similar threads here, so you may want to spend a little time flipping through this forum to read up on what others have contributed.

You have an MS and you're doing help desk jobs?? You should get some advice on your resume, and possibly some interview skills counseling. With an Army background and a Security+, you should have little trouble transitioning into a network role for a defense contractor.

Take low-paying jobs with managed service providers to build a networking resume, and yes, start working on more advanced certs.
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers
  • Options
    Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I'm interested in this as well, I've had issues trying to go to higher level positions and been told that since I don't already do that role, I can't fill that role. I had a security interview recently and the HR woman was really hung up on the fact that I haven't had a job that was 100% security focused, even though I've done similar functions in other systems admin roles, have my Sec+, CCNA Sec and passed the technical questions the IT manager asked me.
  • Options
    JockVSJockJockVSJock Member Posts: 1,118
    Danielm7 wrote: »
    I'm interested in this as well, I've had issues trying to go to higher level positions and been told that since I don't already do that role, I can't fill that role.

Exactly.

Its the age old struggle, you have to get the experience to get the job, however if you don't have the job you can't get the experience.

Very frustrating.
    ***Freedom of Speech, Just Watch What You Say*** Example, Beware of CompTIA Certs (Deleted From Google Cached)

"Its easier to deceive the masses then to convince the masses that they have been deceived."
    -unknown
  • Options
    scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    or you're too 'experienced' to get the job.
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • Options
    White WizardWhite Wizard Member Posts: 179
    Iv'e seen many job listings where you perform IT support/ network tasks. This is the type of position I would try to get into as it allows you to perform work you know you are capable of while also expanding your knowledge and experience in networking.

I'm 27 and I'm trying to get that type of job but I'm working on my certs as I'm lacking in that area.

Keep on applying, get more certs, dont give up!
    "The secret to happiness is doing what you love. The secret to success is loving what you do."