How much does a school's prestige play a part in the IT world?

ottoscavottoscav Member Posts: 9 ■■■□□□□□□□
Apologies if this has been debated before...I searched but didn't find too much.

Does a person's choice in a school for a technical Master's degree matter all that much? Opinions? Examples?

Is there really a huge difference overall in an MSIT from Carnegie Mellon or one from WGU?

Comments

• networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Of course there is going to be a difference. That is just the way our society works. When someone hears MIT and WGU what do you think they will lean towards?
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • ottoscavottoscav Member Posts: 9 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Yes, I understand that....I'm trying to find the balance of money spent on prestige and career goals....
  • Khaos1911Khaos1911 Member Posts: 366
    If you have the skills and experience topped off with degree/certs, I don't think it matters much. What's the chances of every time you apply for a job that you are going up against someone with a Master's from Harvard or MIT?
  • the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    If it isn't one of the Ivy Leagues, the prestige of your college really depends on your location. I went to Drexel and within a 200 mile radius it is a name that will open doors. But outside of that few people will know who they are. Personally, the name has always been a factor in my being hired. There have been companies I interviewed with that pulled workers from only specific schools. One job I interviewed for was filled by a coop that they thought should now be full time and thus when my resume came across they figured why not fill it with a graduate from that school.

Schools are tiered and that is where the apples to apples vs apples to oranges comes into play. WGU to MIT apple to oranges (same with Drexel to MIT). But say Rowan, Drexel, and Temple...apples to apples. Just need to find that healthy balance of cost vs name.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    I don't think there is a debate on the issue.

Degree trumps no-degree.
    Brick-and-mortar trumps online.
    Ivy League trumps State University trumps Local CC.

In the end, it is what you know, who you know and how well you work. Getting in the door will greatly be maximized by 'who' you know and going to a larger school with a plethora of good people contents will likely land you in a better position for finding work. However, in most cities, you'll find many, many organizations who simply need bright and enthusiastic people to work for them, having the best credentials one can earn and a great personality will get you pretty far.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • ZomboidicusZomboidicus Member Posts: 105 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I'm facing the same dilemma. After visiting this website, I came across WGU and its affordability. But I was debating between RIT and CMU for my M.S. for the longest time, but I just wasn't sure of the payback from these Tier I schools. I'm already buried under large student loan from my B.S. as it is.

Complication is added to my dilemma, especially when I read that people with CCNPs and CCIEs are getting paid 6 figures after 5 ~ 10 years of experience. It seems that if you have passion, knowledge, skills and a little bit of luck getting yourself in the right position, then you'll be compensated regardless of where you got your degree.
    2016 Certification Goals: Who knows :D
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Plantwiz nicely summed up. It really does work that way, a lot more so than I originally thought. In fact it's the utmost critical to get a degree from a great University, that solves a lot of problems or it so seems. I don't know too many people from top flight schools, but I know one guy who I went to school with and he graduated from Rice University, he was picked up buy Intel right out of school. I doubt you could do that coming from a state school or a community college. It's just the facts of life I suppose.
  • IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
    N2IT wrote: »
    In fact it's the utmost critical to get a degree from a great University, that solves a lot of problems or it so seems.

I would disagree with that statement. Good to get? Yes. Critical? Not so much. It helps to have a great degree from a great school but like everything in life, it's not a guarantee for a job or success and as you move through your career and gain experience, it matters less and less where you went to school. If you can manage the brick and mortar option or a great school, go for it. The contacts you pick up along the way will definitely help but it's not a plausible solution for some adult learners and that's alright as well. In most cases in IT, you can ultimately end up in the same place as that the guy with the degree from a great university - it just might take a bit more work or a couple more years of experience to get to that same place.

You have to decide what's best for your career. If you have the means and the finances, shoot for the stars. A lot people don't have the money, grades or ability to take off work for 4 years to go to a "great" university and they end up going the online route, community college, trade school, or another kind of school. Doesn't mean they won't be as successful as the next guy. It just means you might face different issues or prejudices but if that's the only means you have, do what you can.
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com
  • JaneDoeJaneDoe Member Posts: 171
    A school like MIT or CMU will open door for you immediately upon graduation that would only be opened to someone else much later in their career. The pay back is nearly guaranteed, and reasonably fast after graduation. No one pays the sticker price to attended Top Tier schools! These school have huge endowments, and all provide generous financial aid, including need based financial aid for anyone who isn't insanely wealthy. Don't discount schools like CMU and MIT based on the list price alone. Put an application in, and see what kind financial aid package they can offer you. Graduate students often work for the university, and get a salary and free tuition.

However, there are reasons more people don't go to schools like MIT and CMU even if they could afford to do so with financial aid. First, those schools are extremely selective. If you have a black mark in your academic history they won't consider you. They only consider students who had close to a 4.0 in previous academic environment(s), and even then, they have far more nearly perfect applicants than they have openings. Attending a top tier school becomes your life. Expect the work to be demanding, and school to be your first priority. If you have a family or job you'd like to keep, attending a top tier schools may not work for you.

If you have the background to get into a top tier school, and you don't have life responsibilities that stop you from going, apply and see what financial aid they can offer you. Don't be scared away by the sticker price, you'd be throwing away the opportunity of a lifetime.
  • CIOCIO Member Posts: 151
    Wow RIT and CMU (Carnegie Mellon University) were two schools I was debating on for grad school along with RPI and Stevens Institute of Technology. I ended up attending Steven's MIS program...

Have you decided yet? Also look into NYU Poly.
  • puertorico1985puertorico1985 Member Posts: 205
    I do agree that school prestige plays a big factor. I am currently attending a school in MD, while living in the south. Everyone that I have spoken with in my area has no idea of the school, but speaking with people in the DMV area, they know about it. Perhaps that is a sign to move north a bit, but time will tell.
  • MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
    My opinion.... Pick a school that allows you to save money and learn a lot.
    My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!
  • zrockstarzrockstar Member Posts: 378
    I would say it depends on what kind of work you want to do. If you are looking at something more business oriented (consultant, analyst, upper management) or something research driven (engineering (non-networking), programming, etc.) then yes it will matter. If you are more interested in being a technician, then it will be more leveraged on your certifications and experience than the name of your school. And of course, this will depend on the company you work for. Having a big name degree is probably much more important at Apple than it is at your local IT shop.
  • ZomboidicusZomboidicus Member Posts: 105 ■■□□□□□□□□
    CIO wrote: »
    Wow RIT and CMU (Carnegie Mellon University) were two schools I was debating on for grad school along with RPI and Stevens Institute of Technology. I ended up attending Steven's MIS program...

Have you decided yet? Also look into NYU Poly.

Nah, I'm debating up to this day. I still have a year or two where credits from my B.S. can be still applied to either RIT or CMU. So, I'm seeing where my current career will take me, along with my interpersonal skills (or lack of) to get me a better position. But I do not have a perfect 4.0 GPA from my B.S. so CMU is most likely out of the equation. I was hoping certifications, career history, and high GRE score will convince the admission department to cut me some slack, but from the stories I've read, I realized that it is less likely.

I have looked at NYU Poly's website for their Cybersecurity MS program, but I would not pass the computer science core cources with a B without seriously re-constructing my life lol. Especially the "Design and Analysis of Algorithms" course.
    2016 Certification Goals: Who knows :D
  • scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    I actually ended up at a community college and gained most(90%) of my experience at the work place. So, I don't think a high priced school/well-known school really matters. It's your drive to learn. My 2cents..
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • rsuttonrsutton Member Posts: 1,029 ■■■■■□□□□□
    At my company I screen a few hundred resumes a week for entry level to senior positions & I will share my process with you.

For entry level positions I usually get 300+ resumes. For these positions I screen by looking at (in order or relevance): 1) School Name - online universities, community colleges are out. I can afford to be picky based on the volume of resumes. 2) formatting - spelling, grammar, layout etc 3) experience

For mid level positions I screen by looking at 1) primarily experience, 2) Certifications, 3) School Name - same as above, 4) resume layout - same as above

For senior level positions I screen by looking at 1) almost exclusively experience, 2) Certifications, 3) resume layout, 4) School name - same as above
    rsutton I appreciate your honesty. I have a bachelors from a state brick and mortar and a online MBA. I find since my bachelors is from a well known regional school that the online MBA doesn't cause me problems. I like you, prefer the brick and mortar if at all possible. With the amount of cash I had at the time and 2 kids online was the only route for me. That doesn't matter though to me, brick and mortar > Online. ***Assuming the degree from the brick and mortar is solid. I would take an accounting degree from online over an general study from a B&M.
  • AkaricloudAkaricloud Member Posts: 938
    Really a lot plays into this, here's my thought process on getting my MBA from WGU.

No it's never going to pull the same weight as an Ivy League university but at the same time it's better than not having one. If online universities didn't exist, I likely wouldn't be able to pursue any further education due to my schedule and financial commitments. In the end I would rather not work for a company that hires based on the prestige of degree but rather want a company willing to hire likeminded people who know true knowledge is what counts. As I'm starting to get into more senior positions I'm finding experience counts the most and the MBA can only help. In the end though I strive for the knowledge taught within the degree program, and regardless of what employers count it for, the added knowledge and education will help me in future jobs.
  • kohr-ahkohr-ah Member Posts: 1,277
    rsutton wrote: »
    At my company I screen a few hundred resumes a week for entry level to senior positions & I will share my process with you.

For entry level positions I usually get 300+ resumes. For these positions I screen by looking at (in order or relevance): 1) School Name - online universities, community colleges are out. I can afford to be picky based on the volume of resumes. 2) formatting - spelling, grammar, layout etc 3) experience

For mid level positions I screen by looking at 1) primarily experience, 2) Certifications, 3) School Name - same as above, 4) resume layout - same as above

For senior level positions I screen by looking at 1) almost exclusively experience, 2) Certifications, 3) resume layout, 4) School name - same as above

I totally appreciate the honesty.

If you dont mind me asking why are community colleges out if it is an accredited community college? Just wondering if it is due to the volume?

I have an associates from a community college because unfortunately it is what I could afford but I have learned my AAS from there has given me a better chance than no college at all but I know someone with a Bachelors or an Associates from NIU will be chosen over the top of me.
  • shodownshodown Member Posts: 2,271
    We all have our preferences and like it was pointed out above it all comes down to career goals. If you want to make it to the top of an already existing company its best to go to a well known school. It you plan on staying a tech/engineer certs may win you that battle, but you may hit some ceilings. If you want to start your own shop, you need to learn how to execute which you can learn from a few places. This questions is too general to really explain, without knowing what you want out of life.
    Currently Reading

CUCM SRND 9x/10, UCCX SRND 10x, QOS SRND, SIP Trunking Guide, anything contact center related
  • shodownshodown Member Posts: 2,271
    rsutton wrote: »

Out of curiosity how has this worked out for you across the board? Has this method played out well for you. When we hire for technical positions we don't even look at the degree.
    Currently Reading

CUCM SRND 9x/10, UCCX SRND 10x, QOS SRND, SIP Trunking Guide, anything contact center related
  • FloOzFloOz Member Posts: 1,614 ■■■■□□□□□□
    At my current employer we get flooded with hundreds of new college grad resumes. So unfortunately we do filter them out by prestige of the school.
    kohr-ah wrote: »
    If you dont mind me asking why are community colleges out if it is an accredited community college? Just wondering if it is due to the volume?

Generalizing here but I have more confidence in someone who went to a private school or a university because 1) private schools & universities generally have a more rigorous curriculum than community colleges, 2) It requires more dedication to attend this type of a school, 3) the professors probably have more experience and have been thoroughly vetted.
    shodown wrote: »
    Out of curiosity how has this worked out for you across the board? Has this method played out well for you. When we hire for technical positions we don't even look at the degree.

Our company is full of nothing but A players. The most important thing any company can do is hire great people. The school is only a starting point in getting good people, and possibly null in some cases. I'm also a firm believer in hire quickly, fire quickly.
  • AkaricloudAkaricloud Member Posts: 938
    I think one of the larger things to take away from the replies here is prestige matters a lot more in the beginning when the position you're applying for has 300 other applicants. If you're someone with more experience, a proven track record and are applying for a high-level position that may only get 5 applicants, then it's much less important.

At the end of the day it's an easy way to filter people out of large pools of resumes where companies don't have the time or resources to get to know each one of them personally.
  • darkerzdarkerz Member Posts: 431 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I have a 2 year degree and am working to a 4 year at WGU, considering going back a state school because the material there is much more immersing while being cost effective. (10-12k for the 2 years left!)

I have had no issues with job prospects.
    :twisted:
  • Legacy UserLegacy User Unregistered / Not Logged In Posts: 0 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I think people shouldn't beat themselves up over if one school is better then the other. If you are an MIT grad of course you will get looked at first over someone at a lower school but the reality is many people can't attend these prestigious due to cost/time/etc.

If it is within your means to attend one of these prestigious schools I say go for it but for the average individual its just not practical. The way I see it if you have a degree its better then not having one. While it may be a factor for entry level candidates I can't say I've seen job postings specifying BS/BA from a top tier school. Also, if the company you are applying at only hires from prestigious schools you wouldn't know anyway because they did not contact you. I say just keep applying and with a good resume over time someone will bite.
  • kohr-ahkohr-ah Member Posts: 1,277
    dmarcisco wrote: »
    I think people shouldn't beat themselves up over if one school is better then the other. If you are an MIT grad of course you will get looked at first over someone at a lower school but the reality is many people can't attend these prestigious due to cost/time/etc.

If it is within your means to attend one of these prestigious schools I say go for it but for the average individual its just not practical. The way I see it if you have a degree its better then not having one. While it may be a factor for entry level candidates I can't say I've seen job postings specifying BS/BA from a top tier school. Also, if the company you are applying at only hires from prestigious schools you wouldn't know anyway because they did not contact you. I say just keep applying and with a good resume over time someone will bite.

I am not at all icon_smile.gif my AAS got my foot in the door at an MSP and I worked my butt off and it shows. I have people call for positions now for good money and it makes me feel good.

I was also lucky that a lot of my professors at the community college taught at IIT and NIU during the day so I got the same level education but didn't get the name on my degree.
  • CIOCIO Member Posts: 151
    I have a few friends who completed their undergrad from RIT and I most say that they're pretty well off on both the east and west coast.
    I see a lot of people who don't have big named degrees commenting but not the other a around. Interesting.