Options

What to expect with a typical entry-level IT position out of college

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Senior MemberPosts: 0 ■■□□□□□□□□
I am just about ready to finish my degree in Information Technology with a minor in Information Systems. I would like more of an entry-level position in networking. What should I expect as typical job duties. My programming skills are not that great on top of it.

Comments

• Options
    markulousmarkulous Member Posts: 2,394 ■■■■■■■■□□
    What type of experience do you have outside of school? If none, you're going to be hard-pressed to find a networking position. Likely, you'll need to go to a low-level help desk to get some experience. With your education, assuming you're motivated, you should move up fairly quickly.
  • Options
    bull313bull313 Member Posts: 138
    markulous is correct. Even with your certifications you will probably begin on a help desk. Don't let that deter you. We all paid our dues before moving up to bigger and better paying positions :)
    "Follow your dreams. You CAN reach your goals. I'm living proof. Beefcake! BeefCAAAAAAAKKKKE!!!"-Eric Cartman
  • Options
    kohr-ahkohr-ah Member Posts: 1,277
    I am just about ready to finish my degree in Information Technology with a minor in Information Systems. I would like more of an entry-level position in networking. What should I expect as typical job duties. My programming skills are not that great on top of it.

If you can shoot to get into a NOC. That should get you the experience and basic exposure and will be a "pay your dues" of the networking side.