Got an insulting offer from a work from home company

JohnjonesJohnjones Member Posts: 105 ■■□□□□□□□□
Base salary of $9 with 24//7 rotation.

Where are the jobs...?

Comments

• scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    Where are you located? That is just so wrong.
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Details please. I would apply just for giggles.
  • msteinhilbermsteinhilber Member Posts: 1,480 ■■■■■■■■□□
    It's a work from home company, I would be shocked if you didn't get an extremely low wage from any work at home company.

What are the details of the job? Was this an IT related role or just the typical work at home positions like data entry and customer service type work?
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Actually that seems like a rather typical remote support rate. They maybe targeting college students.
  • tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I have seen some that only paid a couple of dollars more an hour doing basic tech support part time. If it was a fixed shift like part time evenings and I was a stay at home parent I would do it.
  • coreyb80coreyb80 Member Posts: 647 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I see these types of offers on CL all the time. Would I call it insulting not really because there is a target for these types of opportunities and if it doesn't appeal to you then you're not the target.
    WGU BS - Network Operations and Security
    Completion Date: May 2021
  • danny069danny069 Member Posts: 1,025 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Seems like a scam to me.
    I am a Jack of all trades, Master of None
  • ande0255ande0255 Banned Posts: 1,178
    Is this for the telenetwork.com company that has a thread in this forum that was recently resurrected from the dead? I think it states in the thread that starting pay is 9/hour
  • gorebrushgorebrush Member Posts: 2,743 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Ironically I was invited to apply for a company too recently as a work from home type deal.
  • NovaHaxNovaHax Member Posts: 502 ■■■■□□□□□□
    It's a work from home company, I would be shocked if you didn't get an extremely low wage from any work at home company.

Most people in my line of work do work from home jobs and make six figures.
  • olaHaloolaHalo Member Posts: 748 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Did they ask you questions that are way above 9$ per hour and ask for 5 years exp?
  • srabieesrabiee Member Posts: 1,231 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I was making $9 an hour 11 years ago stocking store shelves at Office Depot. That offer is a god damn joke.
    WGU Progress: Master of Science - Information Technology Management (Start Date: February 1, 2015)
    Completed: LYT2, TFT2, JIT2, MCT2, LZT2, SJT2 (17 CU's)
    Required: FXT2, MAT2, MBT2, C391, C392 (13 CU's)

Bachelor of Science - Information Technology Network Design & Management (WGU - Completed August 2014)
  • TomkoTechTomkoTech Member Posts: 438
    I wouldn't say that it's a joke. In Cleveland Ohio the norm for an entry level help desk job is $10-12/hr. You occasionally see a few $13-15 but they are few and far between.

To work from home that isn't "terrible". If you consider the lack of wear and tear on your vehicle. The gas you aren't having to pay for. The time you aren't wasting commuting.

My guess is its probably a simple job with limited skill required.
  • JohnjonesJohnjones Member Posts: 105 ■■□□□□□□□□
    The job is remote IT support for users around the US. Skill required is pretty low...I imagine it will be pretty easy. I guess I shouldn't say it's a bad job...as someone else said they are looking for a target audience. I think my pride was more hurt than anything. I'm used to making close to six figures, now I can't land a job. I've been unemployed for almost three months (Not too bad I guess) All the studying and test taking I have been doing...starts to feel like a waste. I could have simply taken A+ and been done.
  • olaHaloolaHalo Member Posts: 748 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Johnjones wrote: »
    I think my pride was more hurt than anything. I'm used to making close to six figures, now I can't land a job. I've been unemployed for almost three months (Not too bad I guess) All the studying and test taking I have been doing...starts to feel like a waste.
    In that case 9.00$ beats 0.00$

What field are you transferring from?
  • W StewartW Stewart Member Posts: 794 ■■■■□□□□□□
    ande0255 wrote: »
    Is this for the telenetwork.com company that has a thread in this forum that was recently resurrected from the dead? I think it states in the thread that starting pay is 9/hour

I worked for them for like a week while I was in between jobs. I think they were only paying me $8/hr at the time. I was so relieved when I found a real job.
  • jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    If you are currently unemployed then surely there is no harm in accepting an "insulting" offer and keep looking while getting SOME money ? I must be missing something too obvious here :p
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • tjb122982tjb122982 Member Posts: 255 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Johnjones wrote: »
    Base salary of $9 with 24//7 rotation.

Where are the jobs...?

I would definitely be insulted too considering the fact that I got tired of making $9.36 an hour (as a customer care rep for AT&T) and decided to go back to school.
  • daviddwsdaviddws Member Posts: 303 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I understand where he is coming from. When I first started out I worked at HP making a good salary, the job that followed was a burnout job making 17hr. Thankfully I was only in that job a year before I found something else. We all want the next job to pay more and have more responsibility, but unfortunately life doesn't always work out that way. Im not saying take the "work at home job", but don't be surprised if the next job is half of what you previously made. icon_rolleyes.gif