Options

Some basic questions about CCNP-Security

Cat5Cat5 Member Posts: 297 ■■■□□□□□□□
I'm strongly considering going after the CCNP-Security track instead of the CCNP-R&S one (due to interest, time, and money). The up-side of that is that I have more interest in studying for this (which I feel should always be a main factor - who wants to get up and go to a job he doesn't like?). The down-side is that it'll involve taking two more tests for me than pursuing R&S icon_sad.gif Also, I don't have the time to get a cert that I don't care anything about (R&S) nor the motivation to get it (or the $$$ for two NP certs with such widely divergent tracks). I'm hopeful that a CCNP-Security/CCNA-Security/CCNA/CCENT will be good enough to land me an NP-level position in this specialization. I had looked at NP-Voice, but it involves SIX exams (and I'm not so fired up about voice anyway), and I checked out NP-Wireless, but there don't appear to be positions out there that just employ wireless people (at least until the IE-level).

In my online job searches I see a lot of employers asking for experience with firewalls, VPNs, security, etc., so I'm optimistic that a CCNP-Security alone will be a valuable asset. I want to think that there's enough concern and demand out there right now for security that companies are willing to hire qualified people JUST for security vs. having others to focus solely on R&S - or am I wrong on this?

Comments

• Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Yes there are plenty companies that have security and R&S functions separated. There are also plenty that have them in a single group/role. It usually depends on the size of the deployment and whether the cost of having someone dedicated to each area is worth it. A small 100 employee company probably can't justify the cost of hiring two guys to manage the security and R&S of a network that small for example.

Outside of working in an enterprise setting there are also opportunities in VARs, MSPs, vendors etc. that usually have people more specialized in certain roles.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    Cat5Cat5 Member Posts: 297 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I think with the recent breaches of Target and Nieman-Marcus by hackers, along with the spying of the NSA, security may be in demand now more than ever (I hope) and be a long-term priority. Businesses that had been on the fence about having specialized security personnel before may have to reconsider.
  • Options
    Jon_CiscoJon_Cisco Member Posts: 1,772 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I would be careful about planning your career around the total cost of certifications.
    Most people will start working in the field well before they have earned any NP level certs. With any luck this will bring you a reasonable income that would allow you to continue your pursuit of additional certifications.

Good Luck
  • Options
    RouteMyPacketRouteMyPacket Member Posts: 1,104
    "Also, I don't have the time to get a cert that I don't care anything about (R&S)"

I find that troubling to read. You don't care anything about R/S, the foundation of networking itself?

That is the equivalent of you focusing on putting up nice window shades and having a good roof yet having forgotten that the house sits on a foundation (R/S).

Cart before the horse Cat5. How can you secure that in which you don't understand? Let's focus on why you feel R/S isn't important, are you having issues with the technologies? I recognize your name, aren't you looking for work in the field having done little in the past?
    Modularity and Design Simplicity:

Think of the 2:00 a.m. test—if you were awakened in the
    middle of the night because of a network problem and had to figure out the
    traffic flows in your network while you were half asleep, could you do it?