So, I've decided to go for SSCP, maybe that will spark an interest in something

tdeantdean Member Posts: 520
I have been doing the "Net Admin" thing for 6-7 years. I am not in any danger of losing my job (knocks on wood) and been in the health sector the last 3+ years. I still have no idea what i want to do "when i grow up" and my exposure to technologies, different job responsibilites etc has been very limited through out my career. I do not know many people in the field, so like i said in the title, i decided to go for the SSCP to see if i have any interest in any of the domains, or security in general. I am doing this also, looking ahead, to try and carve out a side career where i can contract myself out after probably going through CISSP or some SANS certs.

I passed Sec+ many years ago and they have no record of it (thats a long story) so i figured this was the next best thing. If any of you have any advice, i would love to hear it.

Thank you

Comments

• veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    You may have enough experience in different domains to be able to pursue the CISSP.

You aren't the only one. I'm still not sure what I want to be when I grow up... icon_lol.gif
  • tdeantdean Member Posts: 520
    You may have enough experience in different domains to be able to pursue the CISSP.

You aren't the only one. I'm still not sure what I want to be when I grow up... icon_lol.gif

Yeah, but are you 48? icon_sad.gif

I do probably have the experience to go CISSP, but i figured this would be a good foundation at the very least, and i could see how much of it i really enjoy. This would be a stepping stone, rather than diving in to a more challenging cert right now.
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    A little younger, yes. I hope I didn't come across as making light of what you said. Just trying to encourage you not to get frustrated.
  • MSP-ITMSP-IT Member Posts: 752 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Just passed the SSCP a few weeks ago. Go over Pluralsight's SSCP Videos (Tony Northrup) and CCCure.org's SSCP Notes 2.0.

When it was all said and done, I was a surprised at how easy the exam was. Give yourself a few weeks and you should be fine, especially considering the experience you have.
    A little younger, yes. I hope I didn't come across as making light of what you said. Just trying to encourage you not to get frustrated.

oh, you didnt... i was poking fun at myself for waiting this long!

:)
    MSP-IT wrote: »
    Just passed the SSCP a few weeks ago. Go over Pluralsight's SSCP Videos (Tony Northrup) and CCCure.org's SSCP Notes 2.0.

When it was all said and done, I was a surprised at how easy the exam was. Give yourself a few weeks and you should be fine, especially considering the experience you have.

I have both of those and the Darril book. Its good to be starting something new.
  • MSP-ITMSP-IT Member Posts: 752 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Take your time though. I really did enjoy the material.
    MSP-IT wrote: »
    Take your time though. I really did enjoy the material.

I will, thats a problem ive had in the past... putting too much pressure on myself to finish by X date. Then once i was done, i never wanted to see the material again. Im fortunate that im doing this for myself, rather than panicing, unemployed and trying to make myslef marketable again. I will post updates!