Trends, Training, and New Content

NightShade03NightShade03 Member Posts: 1,383 ■■■■■■■□□□
Hey All,

Anyone who has been around a while probably knows that I wrote a book a few years back. The book focused on teaching everything needed for the RHCSA/RHCE. In the past Michael Jang's book had been the go-to when studying for that exam, but I didn't like his format so I decided to write my own. Long story short, while the book was a success I wasn't happy about the publishing experience. There were a ton of print errors and publishers can't adapt to change once 20,000 hard copies have been printed. Since then I started developing new training content (eBook/Screencasts/etc) to continue teaching without leveraging a publisher.

At the request of two other TE members, I wanted to share with everyone the list of content that I am working on publishing/producing. I'm trying to keep all the material relevant to what others are seeing in the market, their daily work life, and what they find interesting. Nothing like writing 1000 pages of content that no one is interested in. icon_wink.gif If anyone is willing I'd love to hear feedback on what topics they have interest in or make suggestions if there is something that you don't see and feel is important. Most of the topics are currently focused around Linux, Security, and Data Science since that is where my career has taken me, but I'm open to all ideas/topics. Each topic is broken down into modules in order to make comprehension easier. Some are single topic modules while others are part of a larger series. Once a series is complete it will be offered as an eBook. While I'm only doing written content for the moment, I have plans to publish screencasts of every module later on this year. Some of the content is free and some isn't.

Single Modules

Personal Password Security
Red Hat…Why Certify?
Client Side Security
An Intro to Data Science
BTRFS Intro
Getting Started with Laravel
Building a Linux Lab with VirtualBox
Building a Security Lab with VirtualBox
Building a LAMP Server - Centos Edition
Building a LAMP Server - Ubuntu Edition
Building a DEV Server - Rails Edition
Building a Node.js Server
Choosing a SIEM Platform
Deploying OpenStack with Red Hat
Deploying OpenStack with Ubuntu
Intro to Git
Deploying GitLab - Enterprise Code Storage
Getting Started with SELinux
Building a Monitoring Platform
Building a MySQL Cluster
Building an NFS Cluster
Data Science Learning Path - How to Build One
Analysing Sales Predictions through a Strike Zone
Reviewing Web Server Logs for Attacks
Getting Started with OpenStack
Deep Dive into OpenStack Networking
High Availability with OpenStack
Securing OpenStack
Getting Start with OpenShift
Deploying Applications with OpenShift
Scaling Apps with OpenShift
Deep Dive into OpenShift Architecture
An Intro to Building RPM packages
NoSQL vs SQL Rundown
Fundamentals of Application Security
Fundamentals of Secure Development
OWASP Top 10
Overview of APT Attacks
Overview of Machine Learning
Algorithms Every DS Should Know
ETL - What is it?
An Intro to R
Getting Started with Pandas
Getting Started with SciKit
Benchmarking Application Code
Benchmarking MapReduce Jobs
Getting Started with SQL Injection?
Getting Started with PagodaBox
Basic Data Analysis using HDP
Getting Started with GFS
Intro to Cryptography
Deploying Zabbix
Deploying Nagios
Getting Started with Redis
Getting Started with Memcached
Server/System Recovery with a LiveCD

Module Series (These are usually the length of a book or full course)

Kickstart Series
Red Hat Lab Guide (RHCSA/RHCE) Series
Centos Admin Series
Ubuntu Lab Guide Series
Securing Apache Hadoop Series
LPIC 101 Series
LPIC 102 Series
LPIC 201 Series
LPIC 202 Series
Securing WordPress Series - Defense of WP, Hacking WP, and code reviews
Web Security - Attack Series (Focuses on penetration testing for web applications)
Web Security - Defense Series (Focuses on code review, Secure SDLC, etc)

Also just wanted to say a big thank you to the TE community for all the support over the years icon_cheers.gif

Comments

• bull313bull313 Member Posts: 138
    While I am certainly not near an authority on Red Hat, from what I can see everything looks self-explanatory and easy to follow. A Red Hat noob like me could probably pass from this.

Good luck with your latest endeavor! :)
    "Follow your dreams. You CAN reach your goals. I'm living proof. Beefcake! BeefCAAAAAAAKKKKE!!!"-Eric Cartman
  • linuxloverlinuxlover Banned Posts: 228
    Great, I've very interested in the RHCSA/RHCE and OpenStack modules.
  • ally_ukally_uk Member Posts: 1,145 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Following Stuff I am interested in

Setting up a Linux server / securing it / Getting it to coexist in a Windows Environment / FTP server config /
    File Server config / How to setup a domain controller / Using Linux as a recovery tool / Mail server / Web server
    Bash scripting at a noob entry level with good easy to follow examples that can be used in a productive way

Tutorials and plain easy to follow guides on Raid and LVM how to set them up on a production server

Backup methods explanation about rsync / Tar how they can be automated via scripts and cron

Noobs guide to Sed and awk and regex

Firewalls and Selinux explanation noob freindly

Do all of that put it in a easy to follow guide I will buy 100 copies :)
    Microsoft's strategy to conquer the I.T industry

" Embrace, evolve, extinguish "
  • BryzeyBryzey Member Posts: 260
    I'd be interested in

Building a Linux lab. Could also have how to setup a lab in aws?
    Btrfs intro
    Building a monitoring platform
    Building clusters
    Intro to openstack
    Reviewing server logs
    Server/system recovery
    Nagios
    Intro to automation
    Backups
    Iptables/nftables/selinux
    Scripting for the home user
    Scripting for the system administrator
    Linux working with windows in the workplace

I also think the lpic 2 is lacking in the content department but has interesting objectives. I don't plan on certifying though so I'd probably be more interested in a single module Ebbok series approach..

I'd also be interested in interactive content. For example here is the information on a subject, here is step by step how to set it up in your lab, here is how and/or when you would use in the workplace and here is a YouTube channel link or qr code to a video stepping you through setting it up in your lab. Once setup create a snapshot to roll back to and here are some exercises to complete.
  • NightShade03NightShade03 Member Posts: 1,383 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Bryzey wrote: »
    I'd also be interested in interactive content. For example here is the information on a subject, here is step by step how to set it up in your lab, here is how and/or when you would use in the workplace and here is a YouTube channel link or qr code to a video stepping you through setting it up in your lab. Once setup create a snapshot to roll back to and here are some exercises to complete.

This is a good point. Right off of the bat most of the content will be written as it is much faster to product, review, edit, etc. Everything I write though includes step by step guides and real world examples so those two items can be checked off the list. As for video, Screencasts are in the works for later this year...they are just a lot more time consuming. All of the Linux material is done in a lab environment so either a cloud platform or virtualization platform will be used to snapshots, backups, and rollbacks are all possible icon_smile.gif

Some of the lab setups I use are AWS, DigitalOcean, VirtualBox, and VMware.

Thanks for all the feedback so far everyone! I'm seeing that the Linux material is clearly in demand at the moment.