Just got a job as the Internal IT GUY and need advice!

SlayerXSlayerX Member Posts: 86 ■■□□□□□□□□
This role will serve the internal users with desktop, software and hardware support. Other duties will include security and badge maintenance and will also support the server and other outsourced technology as needed.

Must have experience with both PC and Mac.
Must have at least 2 years experience with configuration, installation and administration of PC and Macs.
Professional certifications preferred.
Experience in manufacturing highly preferred.

Can't believe I got it but now I'm wondering does anyone have advice for me on this new job? I recently got out of a call center job that I hated and landed this job. icon_study.gif

Comments

• ande0255ande0255 Banned Posts: 1,178
    Try to find troubleshooting videos and articles on commonly occuring issues, document fixes for issues as you resolve them for future reference (even if just a text document), and don't be afraid to open up tickets with vendors for support on any issue.

Good luck!
  • olaHaloolaHalo Member Posts: 748 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Youll learn as you go really.
    Make sure you take notes of common commands and issues.
    Dont be afraid to ask for help.
    Google everything before you ask though
  • lsud00dlsud00d Member Posts: 1,571
    If the internal software is proprietary visit the company website and learn about the product--what does it do, what sector is its primary audience, what are its features, what are some cool things your company might not be using it for--also see if the website has a KB or forums you can peruse through.
  • yzTyzT Member Posts: 365 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Really don't get your question. You applied for a job, which means that you can handle the job, and now you come here for advice about what to do? xD

Basically what you need to know is how to search for information. It's impossible that you know how to troubleshoot every error, there will be always one which you have never heard about, but odds are that someone over the Internet has faced the same error.
  • scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    Research, research, research. Look through logs/notebooks at work (if they have them). good luck.
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • RouteMyPacketRouteMyPacket Member Posts: 1,104
    First things first, are you the sole IT resource on site? No network guy? No System guy?
    Modularity and Design Simplicity:

Think of the 2:00 a.m. test—if you were awakened in the
    middle of the night because of a network problem and had to figure out the
    traffic flows in your network while you were half asleep, could you do it?
  • markulousmarkulous Member Posts: 2,394 ■■■■■■■■□□
    First things first, are you the sole IT resource on site? No network guy? No System guy?

This is definitely relevant to get a better answer. If so, I'm assuming it's on-call.
  • SlayerXSlayerX Member Posts: 86 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Yes I will be the sole IT resource on the site when my IT manager flies out to another location. There is only 2 of us and I will be taking his place when he is out of the state, which is frequent. There is one main Server and switches of all kinds. No network guy and no System guy.
    its full time also which is kind of shocking
  • olaHaloolaHalo Member Posts: 748 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Sounds like a good gig to me.
    Congrats
    You will learn boatloads or be replaced.
  • RouteMyPacketRouteMyPacket Member Posts: 1,104
    I would first start by handling break-fiz issues, those are always priority number one. Then begin documenting the environment, I can give you some further advice on creating a centralized document that should be able to answer almost any system/network related question.

You have to find out what is there and how it functions, then over time gradually make improvements. The honeymoon phase is always investigative in nature. Don't accept things for that they are, look at it and see opportunity for improvement. Considering the hacks that infest the field, I have had to document every single time I ever stepped into an Enterprise because it either A. wasn't documented at all or B. looked like a 5yr old documented things

Good luck
    Modularity and Design Simplicity:

Think of the 2:00 a.m. test—if you were awakened in the
    middle of the night because of a network problem and had to figure out the
    traffic flows in your network while you were half asleep, could you do it?
  • KronesKrones Member Posts: 164
    Find out what door access control system they use and what type of badges and read up on it before you start.
    WGU - Security
    Current: Start date Sept 1. Remaining:
    CUV1, BOV1, CJV1, CVV1, KET1, KFT1, DFV1, TPV1, BNC1, RIT1, DHV1, CSV1, COV1, CQV1, CNV1, SBT1, RGT1 Completed:
    AXV1, CPV1, CTV1 Transferred: AGC1, BBC1, LAE1, QBT1, LUT1, GAC1/HHT1, QLT1, IWC1, IWT1, INC1, INT1, BVC1, CLC1, WFV1, DJV1
  • tecketecke Member Posts: 52 ■■□□□□□□□□
    olaHalo wrote: »
    Youll learn as you go really.
    Make sure you take notes of common commands and issues.
    Dont be afraid to ask for help.
    Google everything before you ask though

These are some of the most important things you can do to perform well^
  • wikigetwikiget Member Posts: 75 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Your best friend will always be documentation.
    - Read any standing documentation. Should include common issues.
    - Review or establish a worklog. Repeating issues should link back to the original finding.
    - Read relevent suppot documents and KBs for the hardware and software you support.

Now to deal with a personal itch. Is it an enterprise environment? Then there are no PCs only workstations. Macs are no different then Windows or Linux. They are PCs in a single host environment and are workstations (or servers depending on the purpose) in an enterprise.
    "Once upon a time, disks were floppy, administrators were electricians and computers were louder then jets. Then it all got complicated." -Anon

Life of a Network Security Manager: http://imgur.com/kKvmgjj
    You guys are loads of help! I can document like crazy I just want to know, do you just create a word document and document or do you just use a notepad and pen? I believe it is an enterprise environment cause it's macs and pc's. I do google stuff when I don't know cause someone else prob had the same prob. Is it a good idea to have a USB stick with programs to fix pc's like ccleaner or RevUninstaller. Basically 3rd party programs that have been a life saver?