Options

Anyone use Knoppix?

ally_ukally_uk Member Posts: 1,145 ■■■■□□□□□□
Being a Linux junkie myself I am looking at adding Knoppix to my toolkit, I was looking at using it for recovery, hacks, and other stuff like setting up emergency FTP / File server if I need to transfer or recover files.

The documentation I have found mainly Knoppix Hack's and Knoppix Pocket Reference seems to be pretty outdated is the information still relevant?

Or is there a newer O/S of choice for recovery

Looking for updated documentation or guides can anybody help :)
Microsoft's strategy to conquer the I.T industry

" Embrace, evolve, extinguish "

Comments

• Options
    linuxloverlinuxlover Banned Posts: 228
    Is Knoppix still active? I'd imagine people would just download live versions of their favorite distributions, like Ubuntu. What I like about CDs is the enforcement of integrity, you can't rely on that with USB keys. I'd always use live linux cd to use paypal, change passwords and other stuff. Too bad I don't have a CD-ROM anymore. Not on my PC, not on my laptops.
  • Options
    NightShade03NightShade03 Member Posts: 1,383 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Knoppix used to have all the right tools for recovery and was an awesome Live CD. However with so many advances in Distros like Ubuntu and Centos I don't think anyone is using Knoppix anymore.

I'll look at Ububtu, Kali, or Backbox if you are look for a distro to do recovery with.
  • Options
    W StewartW Stewart Member Posts: 794 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Knoppix is still active and we still use it in the data center I work in. A lot of other live cds just don't come with all of the networking tools preinstalled like an ftp server. Ultimate boot cd is still my favorite for just about any emergency operation that needs to be performed though, especially partitioning with gparted.
  • Options
    Steve202Steve202 Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I use a combination of HBCD and UBCD. As for Knoppix, I thought died a while ago.
  • Options
    alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I hadn't heard it mentioned in quite some time. I'll have to take another look.

My LiveCDs of choice lately are Caine, UBCD, and Kaspersky Rescue Disk.